Lieutenant
# 1 Move player?
03-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Is it possible to move to player to a new spawn/respawn point? Cryptic maps do this a lot to cut down on load times, simply building several sections in the same map which you then jump around, such as by turbolifts. Is there any way to do this or do you have to create a new map to say move a player from one deck to another in the Defiant indoor map?

Cheers

Click for more details
Captain
# 2
03-17-2013, 08:31 AM
You can do this with triggers. for example have the player enter a turbolift and interact with an invisible object or reach marker, and have the room components behind set to go invisible on component complete. A great example of this is in alimac30's spirits of ramok nor. you interact with a door on ds9 and walls and props spawn around you putting you in another room.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 03-17-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Lieutenant
# 3
03-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the response, but the main issue I am having is with the ready-built maps such as the Defiant interior which is built in two parts. Right now if I want to use both parts I have to make two copies of the map and act as if each half is separate with a loading screen between them. Just seemed a bit odd that the built-in maps aren't able to be used in the Foundry as the asset was originally designed.

Unless there is a way to hide the starting map asset to begin with? I've not found a way to do this, only been able to hide/show items I place into the map.

It isn't a big issue, it will just lead to my project having a few more loading screens than I had hoped.

Click for more details
Captain
# 4
03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by remairtamec View Post
Thanks for the response, but the main issue I am having is with the ready-built maps such as the Defiant interior which is built in two parts. Right now if I want to use both parts I have to make two copies of the map and act as if each half is separate with a loading screen between them. Just seemed a bit odd that the built-in maps aren't able to be used in the Foundry as the asset was originally designed.

Unless there is a way to hide the starting map asset to begin with? I've not found a way to do this, only been able to hide/show items I place into the map.

It isn't a big issue, it will just lead to my project having a few more loading screens than I had hoped.
Ya you cannot change that. The science wall and building assets are basically Deferi so you could build a map from scratch.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 5
03-17-2013, 01:56 PM
There is a way if each set is fairly close to each other. Pendra did it in one of his missions.

If you can trap the player in geometry (via triggers that drop walls and stuff onto the player), he will be ported to the nearest spawn point. If that is the original, he'll go back to start. However if he is closer to the respawn, set on the other map, then he goes to that respawn, across the black space between the maps.

This is how it works. Getting it to work reliably regardless of exactly where the player is standing is more difficult. I've had trouble getting it to work right 100% of the time, but it seems to work 100% for Pendra, unless I'm mistaken.

I won't use it, unless I can make it work 100% of the time.

Also, if you can get it to work right, it leaves the away team behind, trapped in the geometry.

Last edited by kirksplat; 03-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Rihannsu
# 6
03-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
There is a way if each set is fairly close to each other. Pendra did it in one of his missions.

If you can trap the player in geometry (via triggers that drop walls and stuff onto the player), he will be ported to the nearest spawn point. If that is the original, he'll go back to start. However if he is closer to the respawn, set on the other map, then he go to that respawn, across the black space between the maps.

This is how it works. Getting it to work reliably regardless of exactly where the player is standing is more difficult. I've had trouble getting it to work right 100% of the time, but it seems to work 100% for Pendra, unless I'm mistaken.

I won't use it, unless I can make it work 100% of the time.

Also, if you can get it to work right, it leaves the away team behind, trapped in the geometry.
It works best in enclosed spaces. I've managed to trigger it outside enclosed spaces, but it's erratic to say the least.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-17-2013, 04:04 PM
There are 2 ways to teleport the player to the nearest unlocked respawn point. One is via the teleport trick and the other is via killing him/her.

The only object which worked well with the teleport trick is the turbolift. Everything else is a hit and miss. You may be teleported, pushed aside, or trapped inside the object. Needless to say, that trapping the players will not help your ratings. Also the tick is one shot show and teleports the player only. The BOFFs stay behind.
I think the turbolift works well because it is very confined and inside out object and it confuses the hell out of the engine.

The other is to kill off the player. It is one shot again, but at least it brings the BOFFs along. You have to be veeery carefull with it. If you kill the player too early, you can mess up the mission royally. So you have to make sure there is either no fight at all, or some very light fight prior the kill event. You also have to explain somehow where the bunch of angry captain mobs, spawned on the top of your head came from. And then how come you are not dead, but at the other section of the ship.

Last edited by pendra3780; 03-17-2013 at 04:10 PM.