Lt. Commander
# 1 Ranks rankle a bit
03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Ranks

The ranking system on this game has never made sense to me for the simple fact you top off at Admiral/General. As a retired Navy person I can tell you for a fact that admirals/generals do not command ships as the norm. Now I know there are gonna be those who will cite Capt Kirk and a couple other admirals in the Star Trek Universe who did, you can also give historical examples of real life admirals doing the same thing. But it wasn't the norm for Star Trek nor is it the norm for the real world. In my 30 years of service I got to meet/see one Vice Admiral and can count the number of times I saw the Fleet Admiral (RA LH), whichever Fleet I was with at that time, on one hand. So in 30 yrs of service I got to see a total of 3-4 admirals. The reason for this is because there just isn't that many of them and for the fact they weren't on any of the ships. The Fleet Admiral does have a flagship but he's rarely on it and when he is he isn't in charge the Capt is. So if its not the norm why did they make it so we top out at Admiral/General? My only guess is the Devs thought it would be cooler to be an Admiral but the only thing it accomplished by having so many admirals was diminish the rank.

Here's how I think the ranking system should go -

Cadet - We have academies why not use them at this rank to do the tutorials. We could run through the holodecks and learn what is needed to play.

Midshipman - This will be the part where we put to use what we learned at the academy. Instead of a borg invasion I believe we should start out facing the folks we are at war with and save the Borg for later in the game.

Ensign - Get your 1st ship, a frigate.

Lt Junior Grade - I've seen this rank used in Star Trek and was wondering why it was left out.

Lt

Lt Comm

Comm

Capt

You could still have 10 lvls between each rank but you'd top off at the more credible rank of Capt. If folks still want to be an Admiral/General then give this as an award for veteran status. I believe they should add the rank of commodore if they did this, so say starting at 400 days you'd get to cap one of your Capt's to commodore, 500 days you get another cap option to either cap your Commodore to RA LH or promote one of you other Capt characters to Commodore. So every 100 days you could promote one of your characters etc so on and so forth.

Of course we here on the red side would have the Klingon equivalance of the ranks I suggested.
Lieutenant
# 2
03-18-2013, 05:12 PM
I agree, I've learned to live with being an Admiral but it always struck me as very unrealistic. I'd much rather see everyone "demoted" to Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Seconded, thirded and fourthed. I want to be a captain, not some bloody three-star desk pilot.
Captain
# 4
03-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Plus, it'll just get goofier as, as "Admirals", we continue to be pushed around by these random peons giving us quests. Still, retroactively changing everything is a major step, since everyone's costume pieces then have to be retroactively fixed. Although even just slipping in the missing LtJg rank would effectively bump everyone down a step.
Captain
# 5
03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Somebody has brought this up elsewhere, and I do wholeheartedly agree as a military guy and a Star Trek fan. The IP backs it up across the TV shows. Kirk took over the Enterprise as an Admiral because he was the senior person aboard during crises, as Spock pointed out citing Starfleet regulations. But when it's all done, command and control returns to the actual Captain.

But all across Star Trek, we've seen lots of admirals working out of a starbase or something. Example: Miserable Admiral Kirk overseeing cadet training on some Starbase, clearly missing his days as a Captain of the Enterprise. Or, if the admiral was in charge of a fleet, then he picks out a ship to command the fleet out of (Flagship). Example: The Admiral in charge of the fleet that took on the Borg Cube at Wolf 359.

Admiral (Starfleet) and General (KDF) should be a rarity. If anything, that rank should only be available to a fleet leader in the game, along with the appropriate rank pips / devices and uniform accessories of the rank.

The actual title wearable to all other max level players should be limited to Captain.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Completely agree... Being an Admiral is stupid...