Career Officer
# 1 Interesting Read
03-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Interesting Read from the maker of the ULTIMA series about todays Developers and society of studios.

http://megagames.com/news/richard-ga...-lazy-failures

Alot of it is Spot on.
Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
http://massivechaos.enjin.com/
Commander
# 2
03-24-2013, 06:01 AM
Certainly is spot on for this game (and many others that I don't care to list here), but it is kind of arrogant to say that and not really point out any examples of what constitutes talent.
Career Officer
# 3
03-24-2013, 09:25 AM
he's so right

but its not only game designers.. also filmmakers dont really go for "story" as long as say have enough visual effects and so forth
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
03-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Yeah, Richard Garriot has no right to call other studios lazy failures after some of the things he did. Like creating two whole new Ultima game and a new Ultima Online and sitting on them for years because he wants to get the rights to release them as Ultima remakes instead of coming up with new names for a different generic fantasy universe. Or trying to release a game in 1998 using a tile based engine created in 1986.

Frankly, this rant by him comes off as hollow as when he called out Blizzard and CCP for overstepping their role as GMs when they started banning hackers and bots after he banned hundreds of players in a fit of rage because they accidentally killed him after he forgot to toggle his immortal mode.
Career Officer
# 5
03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Frankly, this rant by him comes off as hollow as when he called out Blizzard and CCP for overstepping their role as GMs when they started banning hackers and bots after he banned hundreds of players in a fit of rage because they accidentally killed him after he forgot to toggle his immortal mode.
That's how you know when someone takes there gaming too seriously.
Concessimus etiam omnibus liberis hominibus regni nostri, et dedit pro nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum, quibus libertates subscriptas, habendas et tenendas eis et heredibus suis de nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
03-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Not his gaming, but specifically his roleplaying. This is the guy who used to be famous for asking guests in his house or office call him Lord British. It's childish and silly, but kind of understandable that he took killing Lord British in the game personally. I don't even hold it against him, really, but when he does some of the laziest things the industry has seen in recent years (literally not releasing his generic fantasy world unless he can recycle one of the most generic fantasy worlds ever created for it) and then calls out companies that are creating new worlds for being lazy? Yeah, that I do hold against him.
Captain
# 7
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
this seems much better than wahts in the article.
though you need to be patient & watch the whole thing or you may get the wrong impression of the opening comments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxXEidtxHk
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baelogventure View Post
Considering Ryan broke 25k in a NX, I expect he could easily pull 10k in an Escape Pod with a Hand Phaser.
Commander
# 8
03-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
"Other than a few exceptions, like Chris Roberts, I've met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am," he said.
I stopped reading there. He's an idiot who is clearly too high on his own ego to give anyone else any credit. Always was
Captain
# 9
03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Yeah he's got a point, but its the pot calling the kettle black for the most part
Career Officer
# 10
03-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I disagree with him, lazy is not really the right word.... for one anymore, I see just as many real companies release crap and then spend months in post production fixing their products.

There are three factors that need to be looked at:
1. all applications game/"real" are driven by release date, not code function date.
2. money money money... how can we make it and how soon can we get it
3. Us the gamer/consumer.

We line up outside Apple waiting for new phones that we don't even know that will work and then complain for months until things are fixed. Take STO, Cryptic/Perfect World has repeatedly shown us over the last year that they aren't up to the task anymore of releasing quality and there is still a large majority of players who can't wait to be the first one to get a hold of the new broken romulan faction. We allow companies to treat us the way we do by continuing to buy their junk and spend money on it.

Companies continue to push their developers into money driven products, money driven tricks and toys.

But the bottom line is, if we "the gamer" stop spending cash, they will start making better code. They have dumbed it down to what we will pay for.

Eisaak

Last edited by eisaakaz; 03-24-2013 at 11:02 AM.