Lt. Commander
# 1 Idea For Ground Combat
03-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Add a third control scheme just for solo play. One that is quasi-turn based similar to games like Knights of the Old Republic. Uses the standard RPG controls, but you can set pauses when your "turn" comes up or for other events that can happen in combat. Or even a pause button which pauses the game when your turn starts.

Obviously will not work in multiplayer ground missions, but will make ground combat a lot easier for players who only do Ground when it comes up in missions.
Commander
# 2
03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
you mean enemy shoot then your guys shoot then they shoot then you shoot as in a turn based game? Imo i would fall asleep in the first group of npc. why do you want this type of battle anyway you can pause time currently but still you should get onto ground combat more often if your having trouble learn it its quite easy on elite
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Plenty of games use a turn based system that are fast paced. Check out videos for KOTOR on Youtube. It looks real time, but actually is a turn based game. Kind of a hybrid between RT and Turn based. The default setting would be to pause once your target is dead, or when you press the stop button. At that point you pick a new target or issue an order. So you do not issue individual orders every turn, the game just stops at these preset points. You can add other instances when you would like it to autostop as well.
Commander
# 4
03-30-2013, 12:12 PM
may i ask what you mean by orders to your away team? Such as selecting a target for them all to shoot at? There is a default for that y i think The pauseing would not work to well sto has aoe type weapons like pulsewave that in one shot would kill an entire npc group your target along with anything near it or damage nearby npc which may then target you and once you unpause could be instant redshirt to sickbay
Captain
# 5
03-30-2013, 02:09 PM
so a ufo:aftermath mode? sure.
Cryptic.
Figure out and address the players path of least resistance to reward. this one thing is THE consistent factor undermining all your efforts. be that crafting, raids or starbase projects.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm surprised that so many people posting replies have never played KOTOR.

If you're haven't played the first KOTOR you are doing yourself a huge disservice. It is one of the greatest RPGs ever made and you should go buy it right now (it's really cheap now too). In KOTOR you could cue up to four abilities (I think) and pause the game at will. Also, you could cue abilities for your followers. It was surprisingly tactical.
Captain
# 7
03-31-2013, 03:03 AM
Erm.. How about no.

First of all, you can pause your ground map briefly and queue up abilties for your officers, by pressing "t". However, it takes a minute or so to charge up and it only last for 45 seconds max. Also, you can only give one officer one thing to do once the timestall stops.

Second, I actually didn't like the KOTOR style of play. I thought it was messy and disconnected from the gameplay.

Third, the gameplay isn't that bad. Many people work with it and it works well now. I have never heard of anyone having a learning curve problem with it.