Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 1 The Verdict Interviews BranFlakes
04-01-2013, 12:00 PM
I was recently interviewed by The Verdict podcast. Check out the interview here. The STO portion starts around the 25-minute mark.

Link to the podcast.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Empire Veteran
# 2
04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
I am sorry that you are feeling "bummed" by the reaction from last Fridays last cryptic but lots of people are very confused.
Good that you didn't have to design a romulan starbase and people didn't have to put the time/effort into making one.
Good that people can play their ally's missions and ships.
Bad that given the choice most people will join the faction that has the overwhelming number of those.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
It must be annoying having all this info that you can't talk about, so you have my sympathies there.

However, since it wasn't asked, I'll ask here: Dan said that giving fleets and starbases to the romulans was being considered for the future. Can you shed any light on how that's actually going to work? As it stands, romulans can join the other faction's fleets, and apparently fly their ships, but clearly if you were to re-integrate the faction and allow for proper fleets, you couldn't just let them keep their FED or KDF ships, so, how would that work?
Captain
# 4
04-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalpen View Post
I am sorry that you are feeling "bummed" by the reaction from last Fridays last cryptic but lots of people are very confused.
Within a few moments, I am going to listen to the podcast.

I hope this is not an April Fools joke.

As I have said in many threads, the only problem Cryptic has is in communicating. Once the interviews and advertising conflicts, the players will start to react in a very negative manner.

After the new website went up, the impression everyone got was that a full-blown Romulan faction was on the way. Within a matter of a few days, all the interviews, blogs, and statements started to conflict.

Reference One: Ask Cryptic: Legacy of Romulus
Quote:
Q: (midniteshadow7) Will the Romulan Faction have their own Fleet System, Starbase, and Holdings? Will there be any new Fleet Holdings?

Dstahl: This is an important question that needs a detailed answer.

The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more. What they don?t have are their own Starbases. There are many reasons why we?ve made this decision and here?s one of them.
Reference Two: Legacy of Romulous Info. Page

Quote:
Start as any Faction

Create your first character as a member of the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic and level your captain from 1 to 50.
Quote:
Play as a Romulan

Play as a Romulan or Reman and immerse yourself in new story-driven missions written exclusively from the Romulan Republic's point of view.
According to those above statement, the Romulans will be a full independent faction. Once the following was added, later the next day, the new information contradicted the first information.

Reference Three: A note from dStahl:

Quote:
We are happy that many players appreciate our decision to have the Romulans join existing FED or KDF fleets at launch. We realize that not everyone understands or agrees with why we did this, but it is the best decision for Star Trek Online. As stated in the Ask Cryptic, we will consider allowing the construction of Romulan Starbases in the future, but at launch, we want to recognize all the effort that existing Fleets have put into their Starbases and not introduce a "must start over" approach this early.
Cryptic doesn't communicate clearly.

Regardless about what we finally obtain, I will just be happy to play as a Romulan. I just wished Cryptic was not being so cryptic.

Last edited by linyive; 04-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Captain
# 5
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Within a few moments, I am going to listen to the podcast.

I hope this is not an April Fools joke.

As I have said in many threads, the only problem Cryptic has is in communicating. Once the interviews and advertising conflicts, the players will start to react in a very negative manner.

After the new website went up, the impression everyone got was that a full-blown Romulan faction was on the way. Within a matter of a few days, two contradicting statements were released.

Reference Two: Legacy of Romulous Info. Page

According to those above statement, the Romulans will be a full independent faction. One the following was added later the next day, the new information contradicted the first information.

Reference Three: A note from dStahl:

Cryptic doesn't communicate clearly.

Regardless about what we finally obtain, I will just be happy to play as a Romulan. I just wished Cryptic was not being so complicated.
The way I understand it, the RR is a faction that doesn't have independent Fleet functionality at launch. And it will be able to access some of the stuff from their allies. That's really all that sets it apart from the Fed/KDF factions.

And I doubt a lot of people will choose to fly their allied faction's ships, because who creates a Romulan to fly an Odyssey or a Bortasqu'?
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Captain
# 6
04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
The way I understand it, the RR is a faction that doesn't have independent Fleet functionality at launch. And it will be able to access some of the stuff from their allies. That's really all that sets it apart from the Fed/KDF factions.
Since my job deals with advertising and specifics, I interpreted the initial satements as, "We are releasing a full-blown Romulan faction'. Once Dstahl released a more precise statement, the initial translation of the site and blogs had changed. Dstahl had to connect the dots.

Quote:
Quote:
Q: (midniteshadow7) Will the Romulan Faction have their own Fleet System, Starbase, and Holdings? Will there be any new Fleet Holdings?

Dstahl: This is an important question that needs a detailed answer.

The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more. What they don?t have are their own Starbases. There are many reasons why we?ve made this decision and here?s one of them.

Last edited by linyive; 04-01-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
04-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Good interview and BranFlakes has an awesome job, that he does very well if I may add.

EDIT: Also when you are doing these interviews, please see to it so that there will be transcripts and download links, you know we are gonna ask for them.
Career Officer
# 8
04-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Remans will be unlockable and purchasable?

Oh good. Normally I'm not one for shortcuts but I really don't feel like doing a grind before I can roll a Reman. Assuming it's around $5.00, I'll happily drop some cash on it.
Lieutenant
# 9
04-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Don't be bummed, Branflakes! A lot of us are really excited for LoR.
Captain
# 10
04-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post

And I doubt a lot of people will choose to fly their allied faction's ships, because who creates a Romulan to fly an Odyssey or a Bortasqu'?
Im gonna make a rom toon and join the KDF but once im in my D'Deridex and mogai there is no way im gonna fly a klink ship

Ive been waiting a while to be a rom sure its not what i had hoped for but it is what it is and cant look a gift horse in the mouth....cryptic didnt have to let us be roms at all.
Closed Thread