Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Ensign
Afterburner@methous
NOVA CORE- Fleet Admiral

***THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY A SUGGESTION FOR A GALAXY DREADNOUGHT RETROFIT. THE STATS THAT ARE SUGGESTED IS A DIRECT REPRESENTATION TO THREE YEARS OF HARD STUDY AND EXPERIANCE***

1. 4 Forward/ 4 Aft weapons slots
2. 4 Device slots
3. 4 Tactical Consoles
4. 5 Engineering Consoles
5. 1 Science Consoles
6. Base hull: 45K
7. Base Inertia: 40
8. Base Turn rate: 8 Non-Saucer Separation
9. 1.2 Shield modifier
10. 0.5% Chance to Proc a Battle cloak while being fired upon.
11. A 15 % buff to Phaser lance and 75% Acc buff
12. A 30 sec reduction to the Phaser lance cool down
13. > Lt. Commander Tactical--- Bridge Officer
14. > Commander Engineer ---Bridge Officer
15. > LT. Engineer ---Bridge Officer
16. > LT. Science ---Bridge Officer
17. > Ensign Universal---Bridge Officer
18. Crew 1,500
19. Can load cannons
20. + 10 Power to Weapons/+ 10 to Engines

By Design the Dreadnought is a War ship. And a War ship needs to be built with that in mind. All the changes I made to the dreadnought are exactly on line with all box, C Store, and the new fleet ships coming out.

Point 3 & 4: Tactical & Engineering Consoles

All Fleet ships have 10 Console slots. The reason I choose the 10th slot to be a tactical is simply because the dreadnought is a War Ship, its sole purpose is to do damage, and be a ?Dreadnought? a fearsome ship that boasts great firepower. I also re-organized the console layout so that the dreadnought has 5 engineering 1 science and 4 tactical positions. The Galaxy dreadnought is not an exploration cruiser, it is a battleship. The console layout needs to reflect the Nature of this ship, to survive long, fight hard, and live to see another day.

Point 6: Base hull 45K:

The base Hull of 45K reflects the Fleet Cruisers coming out, as well as the odyssey. The base hull will make the dreadnought exactly in line with those ships, nothing less, nothing more.

Point 7 and 8: 40 points to inertia + Turn Rate Buff

By far, the number ONE Complaint of this starship hands down to all who have flown it is the turn rate. By default, the ability to use cannons or even the Phaser lance requires the dreadnought to keep on target at a 45 degree, head on position to even make use of these abilities. Yet the dreadnought is the SLOWEST turning Cruiser in the game, and is the ONLY cruiser that has the ability to use Cannons in the federation fleet. This makes no sense to me since Klingon Cruisers (just as Big mind you) have a FAR superior turn rate, whereas the dreadnought is lacking. For a ship to have 3 Warp nacelles, and 4 impulse engines, it should turn better. So my suggestion is to give the dreadnought the BASE Inertia and TURN RATE that of the Excelsior. This way, the number 1 Complaint of this ship will be resolved, and it will give captains the ability to use this ship with more ease and utility. With the Turn rate of the Excelsior, it will finally be able to capitalize on its war based nature. Klingons have it right, they are built for War, so therefore their Cruisers have a Turn rate that gives them the ability to make use of their cannons, yet the dreadnought does not. So to give this ship 2 more points to the base turn rate, and 15 more points to inertia, will by no means make it over powered.

Point 9: 1.2 Shield modifiers

With all the new Box ships, C-store Ships and Fleet Ships coming, they all have a base shield modifier of 1- 1.5 As I hoped into my dreadnought then switched to my Odyssey, I noticed a significant shield cap difference and regeneration rate. I had about 1200 more shield cap, and 50 points more in shield regeneration, (same skills tree spec for both ships) all because of the 1.15 shield modifier. So in return, to keep the dreadnought on track with the new C-store, Box and Fleet ships?. Giving the Galaxy a 1.2 Shield modifier is not too powerful and not to underpowered. In the game, cruisers are MENT to be Resilient under fire and support Either Tactically or Heal. I see no reason why a ?dreadnought? should not have a 1.2 Shield modifier considering all Box, C-store, and Fleet ships now have enhanced shields.

Point 10: 0.5% chance to engage a Battle Cloak

This new ability was something I had to objectively look at and ask myself, is this balanced or even fair? My answer was yes, and here is my reason why. Looking at STO --- Almost all Klingon Starships have the ability to cloak. Some of their ships have Advanced Battle cloak, Battle Cloak, and then Normal Cloak. There are only 2 ships in the federation inventory that can cloak, the Dreadnought and Defiant. In many Episodes in Deep Space Nine, it was clearly evident that the defiant can cloak while being fired upon, aka (battle cloak) yet the defiant does not have this ability in game? Why? The Dreadnought was only shown in 2 episodes, and most of its abilities were not clearly displayed, but we can assume without a reasonable doubt that she was able to battle cloak (cloaking technology from the future) Now, what I am asking is relativity a very small request. I am asking for a 0.5% Chance just to Proc a battle cloak while being fired upon. I am not asking for a full on demand battle cloak, just 0.5% chance out of the 100% of what the Klingon faction has. It would only seem right to have some type of battle cloak for the only 2 ships that can actually cloak; now if you wish to give the defiant and the Dreadnought full battle cloak I will not complain (smiling very large) but at the very least, perhaps we can get 0.5% chance? And that is only conditional to being fired upon. So all in all, I see this as fair and justified.

Point 11 &12: the Phaser Lance

Due to the all the new fleet starship, Box ships, and C store Ships, the dreadnought has been left in the dust of these new powerful starships. With all the enhancements to shields, hull, and fast turn rates of all these new ships, I only request a 15% power boost to the base damage of the Lance and a 75% Acc Boost Rating. The 15% boost to the base damage is to help overcome the build in 15% Phaser shield Resistance with all new Fleet shields plus the Extra Adaptive resistance of 20% for a grand total of 35% resistance to all Phaser damage. The 30 second time reduction is to help put the dreadnought BACK ON PAR with the Grumba 90 Sec cool down, giving the dread Phaser lance a 2min 30 sec cool down, not exactly the same but better than a full 3 minute cool down time. Now before you disregard my request for a 75% ACC boost, let me share with you some numbers that may change your mind about the Phaser Lance. Over the past 3 years I have studied that Lance like nothing else. I (AFTERBURNER) ***KNOW*** that weapon better than anything in this game. Sadly to report the Phaser Lance is an EPIC fail.

THESE NUMBERS ARE BASED UPON ***REAL TIME ACTIVE PVP COMBAT. ***

1. The Lance has a 35% Built in miss rate, so EVEN if the lance is Fired (full Tactical Buff) at POINT BLANK RAGE ? the lance will go right through the face of your target --- you will Still miss and do ***Z.E.R.O.*** damage.

2. The phaser lance REAL rage of fire is a ZERO Degree targeting Arch to Connect with the target, BUT can be fired within a 45 Degree Arch.

3. The Lance missies ANY targets moving faster than a quarter impulses within the 45 Degree targeting arch.

4. The Overall miss rate to actual connections with the target is about 8 misses out of ten Attempts. The visual effect will show the lance go through/or just pass by the target yet do ZERO damage.

5. The lance has a 2.5 Chance to Proc a Phaser strike, but since the miss rate is so high, the proc chance is considerably low.

6. The Lance can only be used every 3 min.

THE DIRTY TRUTH: THE PHASER LANCE

When the Phaser Lance is fired the Lance is calculating the momentum of the dreadnought moving toward the target and the dreadnoughts turn rate (Multiplied X) by the movement and turn rate of the target moving out of (OR) into the blast rage. So to make the Phaser Lance actually connect, the Axis and speed of the dreadnought has to be in a perfect ZERO degree Alignment with the Axis and movement of the target. At that critical moment, (Zero Degree Arch/Axes) the Lance has to be fired while *Maintaining* a ZERO degree arch/axes. Even if the target is well within the 45 Degree arch, the Phaser Lance will STILL miss the mark because the ZERO degree axes has been broken. (When the Zero degree Arch is achieved, the dreadnought has about 1 second to fire the weapon while in PERFECT sync with the target to achieve an actual hit.) If the Lance is fired to late, while even maintaining a 45 Degree arch with the target, you will notice the Beam attack whip Right past the Hull of the ship. It is like Drawing Two lines on a piece of paper?the moment both lines Cross and you see the X on the paper, AKA the Dread and your target is when you have the ability to fire. The moment the two lines cross, is all the time you have to fire and make a connection. *Remember* this is not just as simple as a two dimensional drawing?your timing has to be perfect because remember, your still calculating your movement/speed and their movement/speed in ALL directions?this is NOT happening on just a Flat surface. After Saying ALL that?.This is NOT considering the Built in Miss Rate of 35%. Furthermore, the only way that I found to add some level of Acc to the Lance is to slam on the breaks and hit reverse (while) I PIVIT The ship toward the target to get rid of the dreadnoughts Forward momentum that the Phaser Lance takes into consideration when achieving the Zero degree Arch and axes.

So Imagine, your hidden, moving up on a target?there Not Moving (perfectly still) you do the creep creep?..all is well?.perfect shot?.you buff up?your smiling because you?re about to turn them into SPECE DUST?.de-cloak?.Fire and then?FAIL. Your lace goes right through them and nothing happens. This means EVEN when, you get the golden Zero Arch?.guess what folks you STILL have a 35% chance to miss even when they are NOT MOVING. At that point the lance does not even have to calculate their movement or speed. There Standing still of all things. To make matters even worse?.then they Shoot you a private tell saying how nice your lance tickled them as they laugh at you. The Galaxy X should NEVER get that much disrespect, I don?t care who files it. That ship is Beloved of SO many is STO and is worthy of her name.

THE HIDDEN BECOMES KNOWN: THE MIGHTY JAVELIN

1. Grumba Destroyer?s Javelin has an 85% Acc rating to hit the target when target is moving at 100% throttle within its 180 degree targeting arc.

2. The Gurmba Connects with target and does some type of damage (Critical or Non- Critical) 8 out of 10 times consistently.

3. The Grumba has a 100% Acc rating to hit a target when the target is held still, or not moving.

4. The Grumba Further has a 100% ACC PROC chance to create a disruptor Breach (15% hull De buff) on the target for 15 Sec when the Javelin is fired.

5. Finally the Grumba only has a 1 min Cool down to reuse the Javelin, plus a 30 sec charge up time to fire. So in total, a person can reuse the Javelin every 90 sec, opposed to the dreadnought 3 min cool down.

The Siege destroyer if frankly one of the most powerful ships I have ever seen in-game. The Javelin has a base arch of 180 degrees, 4X that of the dreadnought and since the nature of the beam attack is {{{NOT}}} in a straight line, it does not require nor does it need to calculate the speed, angle, or axes of itself or its target. With the javelin, it is truly just a point and shoot weapon. The Siege destroyer is truly a warship; it?s agile, easy to use, and built for war. The Only up I see the dreadnought having on this ship is that the dreadnought can cloak and the siege destroyer cannot. The Siege Destroyer has an incredibly accurate Javelin attack that would make anyone who knew how to use this ship cringe in fear. This ship can turn, it has an amazing arch rage for the Javelin, has a great bridge officer setup, consoles that support a damage type ship, a 50% less cool down time compared to the dreadnought, AND!! An Outstanding Accuracy rating for the Javelin that guarantees a disruptor breach Proc whenever you connect with the target. One Word for you? RUN. If you meet a person in PVP who knows how to use this ship, you will be alive for all about 5 sec. This is assuming of course that a Tactical Captain is piloting this ship that gives the ability for the Javelin to be buffed up to about 50-60K damage in one shot. So let us get a visual one more time on the stats.

The Galaxy Dreadnought

1. The Lance has a 35-45% chance to miss a Target, EVEN when the target is standing still, or not moving.

2. The Phaser lance REAL rage of fire is a ZERO Degree targeting Arch to hit the target, but can be fired within a 45 Degree Arch.

3. The Lance missies ANY targets moving faster than a quarter impulses within the 45 Degree targeting arch.

4. With a fully buffed TAC lance the dreadnought can STILL miss a target at POINT BLANK RAGE. The lance will go RIGHT THROGH the target, and do NOTHING for damage.

5. The overall misses to actual contact with the target is about 8 misses out of ten. The visual effect will show the lance go through/or just pass by the target yet do ZERO damage.

6. The lance has a 2.5 Chance to Proc a Phaser strike, but since the miss rate is so high, the Proc chance is considerably low.

7 The Lance can only be used every 3 min

The Grumba Siege Destroyer

1. Grumba Destroyer?s Javelin has an 85% Acc rating to hit the target when target is moving at 100% throttle within its 180 degree targeting arc.

2. The Gurmba Connects with target and does some type of damage (Critical or Non- Critical) 8 out of 10 times consistently.

3. The Grumba has a 100% Acc rating to hit a target when the target is held still, or not moving.

4. The Grumba Further has a 100% ACC PROC chance to create a disruptor Breach (15% hull De buff) on the target for 15 Sec when the Javelin is fired.

5. Finally the Grumba only has a 1 min Cool down to reuse the Javelin, plus a 30 sec charge up time to fire. So in total, a person can reuse the Javelin every 90 sec, opposed to the dreadnought 3 min cool down.

Point 13-17: Bridge Officers

To build the proper bridge officers layout for this ship, we Once again have to come to the Understanding and realization that the Galaxy dreadnought is a WARSHIP. With that in mind there are the reasons why I suggest these changes.

1. The dreadnought only now has a Lt Tactical and an Ensign tactical. This only gives the ship 1 chance to use the weakest from of cannon rapid fire, and if the cannon rapid fire is used, then Zero use of Attack patterns. This ship needs the ability to at least have one whole rotation of a cannon rapid fire load out. Not just the ability to use it once?. then wait?. then use it again, especially when the turn rate is ungodly slow. What is the point to have the ability to equip cannons when the use of them is extremely intermittent, and when it is finally up and running, then the target is gone from under the nose of the ship due to the turn rate once again. So I suggest the First Officer to be a LT COMMADER Tactical. It gives the ship to use a whole rotation of cannons, or if using beams, then finally Beam Overload 3 and an attack pattern.

2. The LT Engineering Bridge officer is well suited for this ship IF and only IF the ships turn rate is buffed and here is why. Anyone who has flown this ship KNOWS it?s a giant brick. Often times many captains will use the LT Commander slot to use the ability called dampeners 2. This ability greatly helps the dreadnought turn with the use of an RCS console. So a person not only uses a bridge officer slot but also engineering console slot just to help correct such a nasty turn rate to make any use of the cannons, or Lance. If the dreadnought Turn rate was buffed just like I and MANY people in the community are begging for, then we can bump the LT COM Bridge officer down to a LT Eng. bridge officer because we don?t need the extra LT COM slot to throw on dampeners 2. That way we can save our Commander Engineering officer for things like EPTS3 and other high end defensive abilities. This way we can save the Commander Engineer for tanking abilities and not HAVE to devote precious slots just to compensate for the turn rate de buff. I know there are MANY ways to set up officers, and I know there are many Professional pvpers out there reading this post thinking ?But Afterburner, you can do it this way and that way? The point I am making is?.. we don?t want to (HAVE) to spend bridge officer slots and Eng. console slots just to make a half decent turn, but use our LT Eng. Bridge officer for more Offensive abilities and not turn rate helps.

Some Examples of Ship based Abilities with Very High Acc

The Vesta Quantum Focus Phaser, Grumba siege destroyer Javelin, Chimera Phaser lotus, Point Defense Console, The Torpedo Console Akira class, The Shockwave Torpedo from the Bellerphon Science ship.
Ensign
# 2
04-07-2013, 10:32 PM
TO ALL WHO ARE READING MY POST. I AM NOT SURE WHY THERE IS A BUNCH OF ---> ??? THROUGH OUT MY POST. AFTER I POSTED, THERE MUST OF BEEN SOME KIND OF FORMATING HICKUP, I APOLOIGIZE FOR THIS.

THANK YOU,

Afterburner@methous
Career Officer
# 3
04-07-2013, 11:41 PM
As a Gal-X captain for two years... TRUER WORDS NEVER SPOKEN.

All of it. Kudos

One Year and Three months waiting for Fleet Galaxy X - "Technical Difficulties" Since 8th Feb 12.
Landmark Technical Difficulties Dates: 13/01/12 - 8/11/12 - 14/11/12 - 14/12/12 - 26/04/13
Captain
# 4
04-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Actually, I would be much happier if the Phaser lance was in 5th forward slot. Something like very heavy dmg beam with 45 forward arc. This one-shot gimmick that hits once per lunar cycle is not a reliable weapon.
Career Officer
# 5
04-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Why you think you need battle cloack when you have an Oddysee hull and science vessel shields. Bop's dont have those stats, therefore they are used for hit and run tactics. And thats not really the way to go with a dread.

With your 0.5% proc of activating battlecloack, it is in fact a guaranteed Oh'crap button. 0.5% = 100% when under fire.
Ensign
# 6
04-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Why 45k hull? Your "no more no less" is disingenuous. Fleet Odyssey has 42k. Galaxy has 44k.

1.2 shield modifier? Again higher than any Fleet Cruiser. Odyssey is 1.15 and the others are 1.1 or 1.0.

Battle Cloak? Why? You compare against Klinks but their Battlecruisers have a normal cloak. Their smaller ships may have a Battlecloak but in return have weaker shields, hull and fewer weapons. Just enjoy being one of the two fed ships that can cloak.

Phaser Lance could probably do with being looked at. But it's a completely free ability. It's not like it's taking up a console slot. When comparing to Javelin you left out faults such as it draining more power and that the ship it's on has far less hull and shields. Also as far as I'm aware the proc is same as every other disruptor weapon.

8 turn? Again higher than other Fleet Cruisers apart from Cheyenne which is equal.

And in addition to these goodies your completely changing the console and boff layout?

Good luck.
Captain
# 7
04-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icybrilliance View Post
Why 45k hull? Your "no more no less" is disingenuous. Fleet Odyssey has 42k. Galaxy has 44k.

1.2 shield modifier? Again higher than any Fleet Cruiser. Odyssey is 1.15 and the others are 1.1 or 1.0.

Battle Cloak? Why? You compare against Klinks but their Battlecruisers have a normal cloak. Their smaller ships may have a Battlecloak but in return have weaker shields, hull and fewer weapons. Just enjoy being one of the two fed ships that can cloak.

Phaser Lance could probably do with being looked at. But it's a completely free ability. It's not like it's taking up a console slot. When comparing to Javelin you left out faults such as it draining more power and that the ship it's on has far less hull and shields. Also as far as I'm aware the proc is same as every other disruptor weapon.

8 turn? Again higher than other Fleet Cruisers apart from Cheyenne which is equal.

And in addition to these goodies your completely changing the console and boff layout?

Good luck.
True, his demands are little off the scale for reasonable aproach. I think if the ship is gonna get fleet refit it just needs few things.

Access to saucer sep console
+1 more tactical console
Fixed phaser lance, preferably as heavy hitting beam in 5th weapon slot, -1 aft weapon slot
44k hps, 1.1 shield mod

As for the BO layout, regent/d'kora layout would be probably best. Universal ensign would be great
Lieutenant
# 8
04-08-2013, 02:49 AM
your battle cloak proc would be a dangerous gimmick for the gal-x, when torpedoes and mines are on the way
Captain
# 9
04-08-2013, 03:34 AM
75% acc on a beam that hits hard and 15% extra buff? Your kidding right? Right? I win button if ever I read one....

On a serious note, the dread does need a major rethink. I cannot debate that whatsoever.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles

Last edited by naz4; 04-08-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Career Officer
# 10
04-08-2013, 03:59 AM
Afterburner

Many thanks for your detailed specs of the new Dread. As one of the few Dread pilots that have found a way to make this ship massively effective already in Kerrat (not in the arena) I welcome your changes. Some points however:

The hull should be no more than the 42K, your 45K is too high compared to other ships.

The proccing battle cloak under fire is a sure fire way to get killed as remember with cloak you lose shields.

The Shield modifier is also too high, the shield mod as it stands is fine, perhaps a slight boost 1.05 would be welcome.

Everything you say about the lance is correct, the only way to more or less gurantee a hit is to use the subspace jump. However even this will sometimes miss, I am assuming because of the built in miss rate.

It can't be used in the arena well as it's main weapon is offline for 3 min, an eternity in a quick match.

There are now so many threads asking for the Dread and the Galaxy in general to be revisited it's surprising to me that the DEVs are totally ignoring what would be a massive win win and rake in a lot of cash. I guess the top and bottom of it is the Dread and the Galaxy/other cruisers do not fit in well with Escorts Online.

In the meantime register on our forums and take a look at my build for the ultimate Galaxy-X (due to be updated again very soon with a nice new addition I've discovered.).

Cheers
Matt

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html