Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lieutenant
Hello all.

Some or rather alot of you have noticed, that there are spambots, fail morons, etc going around and sending people in-game mail for egpal.. You can notice in many games that they are either bad in english, or simply a spambot by the fail grammar, half of the words start with capital while they shouldn't, and half doesn't, etc..

Quote from a preview site:
"Egpal.com is started by the small group connected with active MMO players based with Kowloon, Hong Kong HK."

Why am I not surprised about the "Hong Kong" part..? Oh right.. because alot of hackers, etc come from there.. I mean on private servers, retail games, alot of fly, damage, wall, etc hackers are from china or such countries..
So I guess it's only fitting that they add scams to their list.. And yes there are alot of normal players but most hackers and such do come from those areas.

As a fellow player I suggest to add whoever mails you to your ignore list, make a screenshot or such and report it.
DO NOT buy from them, if you search on google and such you will find that people have been scammed, etc..
Egpal is a scam and a fraud, many have bought and they did not recieve exp, lvls, credits, etc.
Stick to the STO/PWE market itself, use PayPal or such but do not buy from random sites, only the original.

I would like to suggest to Cryptic to make some automated system to prevent in-game mail to be sent with specific words/links etc in it.
www. Egpal .com (did space or it will give a url)
"egpal2013"

(Might edit it over time with more stuff as I will probably get more stupid in-game mail from those scammers.)

Some quote(s) from people who replied to some reviews about egpal:

"This site charges real life currency for fraudulent digital goods. Will they wipe your accounts clean, charge up your credit card and promise to deliver your ordered goods "someday"? Probably. They are based in foreign country and you have virtually no recourse against them if they do steal from you, and you are supporting them in the process. This group of online fraudsters illegally use software to spam advertise their site in game, always making a new character when one gets banned. This degrades the quality of the game for people trying to play by making communication in game hard to impossible. Please do not support this site."

Last edited by kiarasena; 05-10-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
04-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiarasena View Post
Why am I not surprised about the "Hong Kong" part..? Oh right.. because alot of hackers, etc come from there.. I mean on private servers, retail games, alot of fly, damage, wall, etc hackers are from china or such countries..
So I guess it's only fitting that they add scams to their list..
whoa way off base there buddy. I know a lot of HK based players who are just like you and me: players.

Don't make this a racial/country bias thing.

Agree with the rest of the post.

------------------------------------------

edit: This thread might qualify as a naming and shaming post actually despite the best of intentions :/

Last edited by chandlerashari; 04-14-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerashari View Post

edit: This thread might qualify as a naming and shaming post actually despite the best of intentions :/
Nope. She named no specific players or accounts, only what site was being commonly advertised.
Career Officer
# 4
04-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatyanasergei View Post
Nope. She named no specific players or accounts, only what site was being commonly advertised.
Haha ok good to know.
Captain
# 5
04-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Hello all.

Some or alot of you have noticed, there are spambots, fail morons, etc going around and sending people in-game mail for egpal.. you can notice they are either bad in english, or simply a spambot by the fail grammar, half of the words start with capital while they shouldn't, and half doesn't, etc.."
The grammar in the above quote is really bad. You should probably clean it up before accusing others of bad grammar.
Captain
# 6
04-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
The grammar in the above quote is really bad. You should probably clean it up before accusing others of bad grammar.
Touche.

On a more serious note, it's pretty simple to recognize such mails and, you know, put them on your ignore list, report them, and the like. If somebody's stupid enough to fall for that, then they deserve to lose whatever they're going to lose.

Edit: Okay, this is awkward. Apparently you can spell it properly in the text editor, but when you actually try to post it, it converts into "?". Oh well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 7
04-14-2013, 08:29 AM
If you get mail like this, please click the "report spam" button on the email, and please file a GM behavior ticket via the [?] on the minimap, including the @handle of who sent it, so we can investigate and take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 8
04-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
If you get mail like this, please click the "report spam" button on the email, and please file a GM behavior ticket via the [?] on the minimap, including the @handle of who sent it, so we can investigate and take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
The quote below makes me think "investigate and take appropriate action" won't make a difference, though.

Quote:
This group of online fraudsters illegally use software to spam advertise their site in game, always making a new character when one gets banned.
Still, I suppose you have to try.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.
And I don't pretend to understand them.
Career Officer
# 9
05-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
The quote below makes me think "investigate and take appropriate action" won't make a difference, though.
its why i report it as spam and leave it at that, if cryptic get around it thats their problem if they are serious about cleaning up the game from scammers.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.
Empire Veteran
# 10
05-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Sorry, but Egpal has been Spamming in STO since Launch, what actions would you be able to take now that are different from those that already have not worked in the past?

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl

Last edited by krell83sto; 05-06-2013 at 09:24 AM. Reason: derp.... missed 2 words lol