Career Officer
So... I was part of Caspian Division. We had a T4.5 starbase and a T2 embassy. I haven't been in game a few weeks due to a bad motherboard but I gather that one of our inactive founders' accounts was hacked and the person on the hacked account booted everyone and has claimed the base and fleet for himself. Cryptic can't or won't do anything, which is frustrating but I imagine it's the result of well meaning but inflexible policies and limited manpower. The community, I've heard, has been awesome.

However, I think this presents some real issues when people have spent thousands of hours and spent hundreds of dollars on a product that can be stolen this easily. It makes me reluctant to participate in the Fleet system again.

Thinking about this, I have a proposal for a Fleet Equity system. It's really very simple.

The game already tracks lifetime fleet credit purchases. My idea is that, based on that total, there would be a starbase XP penalty when someone leaves a fleet based on their contribution total, which may include taking base amenities offline. Ie. boot everyone and the fleet gets knocked back to T0.

If someone gets booted, the penalty takes effect. When booting a person, you can discharge them dishonorably (nobody gets anything, the fleet loses progress) or honorably (the fleet still loses progress but the person gets sent an item which can be used to provide their new fleet with direct base XP, based on lifetime fleet credit). Either way, the fleet loses progress when someone gets booted.

If someone quits a fleet, they get nothing but get a choice whether the fleet they're leaving takes a progress penalty.

The point overall is to discourage fleet migration while encouraging amicable departures... And to make the hijacking of a fleet nearly impossible.

Thoughts?
Career Officer
# 2
04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
First off, I'm sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what that feels like losing all that work.

As far as your proposal goes, I do have one major concern with it.

Quote:
Either way, the fleet loses progress when someone gets booted.
As a fleet leader I've had to boot people in the past due to behavioral issues. Either they got into a fight with other members or were inappropriate or disrespectful and we decided that person had to go. In the case of your proposal, my fleet would lose progress for booting a problem member and I can't say I like that.

Edit:

Quote:
If someone quits a fleet, they get nothing but get a choice whether the fleet they're leaving takes a progress penalty.
Not a fan of this either. If someone quits a fleet they shouldn't get an option to decide if they give that fleet a penalty or not. That's way too open to griefing.

Edit 2: Actually after reading more I can't back this in any way. Sorry.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009

Last edited by lan451; 04-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 3
04-16-2013, 10:01 AM
I can honestly say that this is the first time I have ever gotten mad reading something on the forums. The mere fact that this has happened is a real head spinner, I mean you hear everyday about some one getting their account hacked, whether it is STO, tor, wow or whatever game you play you hear about it all the time. This is the first time I have ever heard of a whole fleet/guild being obliterated.

I would love to help you guys recover, who do I get a hold of to make arrangements?
"We are the United Federation of Planets and we come in peace....unless you have something we want, or refuse to join us, then you have no choice."
Better dead then Fed!
Career Officer
# 4
04-16-2013, 10:47 AM
It's a terrible thing what happened to your fleet, but this proposal actually wouldn't have stopped the hacker from deleting the fleet -- it would have reduced it to a Tier 0 starbase preventing it from having a sell/ransom value, but still be just as destructive.

I think any sufficiently good system would have to be of such a degree of complexity that Cryptic wouldn't spend the time to implement it, over actual content.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18020 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Career Officer
# 5
04-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
I can honestly say that this is the first time I have ever gotten mad reading something on the forums. The mere fact that this has happened is a real head spinner, I mean you hear everyday about some one getting their account hacked, whether it is STO, tor, wow or whatever game you play you hear about it all the time. This is the first time I have ever heard of a whole fleet/guild being obliterated.

I would love to help you guys recover, who do I get a hold of to make arrangements?
it happened to us to bro just last week with assimilated initiative just last week t2 updrading to t3 embassy t4.5 starbase poof! all gone
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Career Officer
# 6
04-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweasal View Post
it happened to us to bro just last week with assimilated initiative just last week t2 updrading to t3 embassy t4.5 starbase poof! all gone
ok then we need to ask the dev to d value the starbase's and keep this in mind fleet master gone for 30 days and did not give rank to some one not 100% sure on the any rank part but the first one to come on can take say fleet over

also so if this is hacking to but don't really believe then say person is dumb for more then likely using the same password for there email and account because we do have account guard and so for its keep mine safe and my steam account safe and I have had steam for 3 years now
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.

Last edited by daan2006; 04-25-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 7
04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
I dont understand why nobody has not suggested the leave only Option.

Make it so a fleet leader can not get demoted or kicked.

A fleet leader must leave of his own free will, via the leave button.

This easy change would prevent a hostile take over.

The fleet I'm in has 500 active members and only one Fleet Leader.

We did this to protect our fleet and efforts from such problems.

Also the fleet leader turned off kicks for everyone but himself, bank change permission, and fleet rename.

Any fleet that thinks it needs more than one leader is mistaken.

Any fleet that forms up under a leader who is not active everyday is mistaken.

Our fleet leader says his role is to keep the fleet safe and our rank 6 officers job is to run the fleet.

We had troubles with ranks 6 officers slotting junk projects, selling ships and etc.

They got the boot and we never worried because we had our Guardian rank 7 protecting our holdings.

I do have say these stories make my heart drop, but I have to shake my head when simple precautions are flat out ignored.
Commander
# 8
04-16-2013, 10:17 AM
No.

No, no, no.

As the above poster said, we bump people all the time. Bank thefts, bad sports, bad behavior, people who are inactive without notice. Once per month we end up dumping a slew of people to open spots for new, active members. If someone takes a break without telling us, they are subject to this rule. X number of weeks, and bye-bye, with the caveat that you're welcome back any time if you were in good standing when we bumped you. It's nothing personal, but we can't hold slots and turn new people away based on the hopes that you MIGHT come back. So now we should be expected to backslide for the need to open up space in an already limited system? 500 members is all we get, and in an active newbie recruiting fleet like ours, we stay pretty close to capped out all the time. Once a month of this nonsense would see us never reaching T5.
Commander
# 9
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimeo97 View Post
No.

No, no, no.

As the above poster said, we bump people all the time. Bank thefts, bad sports, bad behavior, people who are inactive without notice. Once per month we end up dumping a slew of people to open spots for new, active members. If someone takes a break without telling us, they are subject to this rule. X number of weeks, and bye-bye, with the caveat that you're welcome back any time if you were in good standing when we bumped you. It's nothing personal, but we can't hold slots and turn new people away based on the hopes that you MIGHT come back. So now we should be expected to backslide for the need to open up space in an already limited system? 500 members is all we get, and in an active newbie recruiting fleet like ours, we stay pretty close to capped out all the time. Once a month of this nonsense would see us never reaching T5.
This system would only hurt you terribly if you're kicking your fleets largest contributors every month.

If that's the case and your fleets biggest contributors are leaving or being kicked in droves, then I'd have to suggest you're doing something terribly wrong.
Commander
# 10
04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermbot View Post
This system would only hurt you terribly if you're kicking your fleets largest contributors every month.

If that's the case and your fleets biggest contributors are leaving or being kicked in droves, then I'd have to suggest you're doing something terribly wrong.
I don't know how your fleet works, but we end up dumping 20-30 people a month for inacitivty, and many of them make contributions at some point. T5 is one hell of a haul, and that's where we're headed now. Even the result of someone's 20k worth of fleet credits hurts if it's demoting us at this point.

Harming the fleet by removing members isn't the solution here. It's the ultimate form of griefing tool. The fleet management interface is a joke, and should be revamped to actually provide some sort of security to leadership beyond the account level.