Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 230
# 1 Borg Player Faction?
04-17-2013, 07:38 PM
I watched the STOked interview and DStahl said he wants to have a Borg faction in the game. Now I usually support any new content for this game but playable Borg? I think this would be a bad idea, the Borg are one dimensional (Sort of like high tech zombies) and should be permanent PVE villains. Every mission would be - Go assimilate [ ] - gee wouldn't that be fun. The only people who would think this would be cool are kids and those who like godmode when they play. The game is slowly slipping into absurdity.

How about the Cardassians, Dominion, or Ferengi for a Player faction?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 884
# 2
04-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
I watched the STOked interview and DStahl said he wants to have a Borg faction in the game. Now I usually support any new content for this game but playable Borg? I think this would be a bad idea, the Borg are one dimensional (Sort of like high tech zombies) and should be permanent PVE villains. Every mission would be - Go assimilate [ ] - gee wouldn't that be fun. The only people who would think this would be cool are kids and those who like godmode when they play. The game is slowly slipping into absurdity.

How about the Cardassians, Dominion, or Ferengi for a Player faction?
Borg have need thown out there as a possible long term faction for a while. There are some who love the idea, there are some, like you, who hate it.

Not sure the Ferengi would make a good faction either to be honest. The Ferengi Alliance isn't a major power in a political/military sense. They are traders, granted some like that idea, but I am not sure it makes for a fun game.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 3
04-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Borg have need thown out there as a possible long term faction for a while. There are some who love the idea, there are some, like you, who hate it.

Not sure the Ferengi would make a good faction either to be honest. The Ferengi Alliance isn't a major power in a political/military sense. They are traders, granted some like that idea, but I am not sure it makes for a fun game.
The way STO is structured right now, the Ferengi wouldn't make a lot of sense. Crafting's barely worth the time you put into it nowadays, and trading/selling is accessible by everyone and prices are determined by the market. Only advantage I could see the Ferengi having is a higher default sell price, which would be great for junk sellers (like myself, for example).

I want the next faction (if there is to be another one at some point) to be Cardassian, personally.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 4
04-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
In any game where borg have been playable, even just making them slightly as powerful compared to how they were seen on TV has made them riddiculously OP like in Star Trek Armada 1 and 2, and Starfleet Command 3.

Borg faction would be bad for the game, it would either be balanced and feel nothing like being the borg except for having borg ship skins, or it would be OP if it were to be accurate.
Woah, slow down homie. The Borg in STO have long been established as being far far far weaker than they were shown in the Television shows. No need to think that would change just because they get their own faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
The way STO is structured right now, the Ferengi wouldn't make a lot of sense. Crafting's barely worth the time you put into it nowadays, and trading/selling is accessible by everyone and prices are determined by the market.
The Ferengi Alliance has a military. In fact the Picard Maneuver is famous because the Ferengi Alliance has a military.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 394
# 5
04-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Borg as a faction... why not, but at the end of the line behind say Cardassians or Dominions.

Let's flesh out the alpha/beta quadrant faction/species and we can see about stuff like Borg...

As far as Ferengi, they hold so little territory as a governmental organization (Ferengi Alliance) and their military strength is weak compare to the other powers. I would keep them as a neutral NPC trading 'faction'

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)

Last edited by redshirtthefirst; 04-17-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 6
04-18-2013, 01:57 AM
I personally feel a Borg faction should not be done, they are so totally different that the uniqueness and flexibility that goes into character creation and identity just couldn't work for them. Unless it was like a group of liberated drones like from Voyager Unimatrix Zero episodes. But still why even bother. If Cryptic wants more factions go with a True Way faction satisfies both Dominion and Cardassian fans and keeps in line with the factions we currently have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderzero1 View Post
Star Trek Armada and Armada 2 had playable borg, so it's not that far fetched an idea.
Being from that community and modding it for some 11+ years, I say say it works for an RTS not a MMO like STO. The Borg are a bad idea period and with the Romulans coming I don't think we need another faction and this comes from a Cardassian fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,181
# 7
04-18-2013, 04:49 PM
I could see the Borg being playable for only PvP and they would fight Romulans,Klingons and Starfleet and the matches would be something like 5 Borg vs. 10 others.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,121
# 8
04-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Dan said in the STOked podcast that any playable Borg would be part of Hugh's liberated Borg, not part of the Collective.

They're not going to let you play "evil" in STO.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 206
# 9
04-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Dan said in the STOked podcast that any playable Borg would be part of Hugh's liberated Borg, not part of the Collective.

They're not going to let you play "evil" in STO.
Isn't that quote a bit screwed? If I remember well, in the exact same podcast or another
recent one, he was considering about if monster play/an evil playable faction (Not the Borg
idea, but the Tal'Shiar/Romulan Star Empire/Iconians) would be viable or was just unsure.

It seems like the whole subject is still up in the air. And hell, one might argue that the KDF
is sort of living proof already, that Cryptic is willing to do 'evil content' (Just look at nearly
half of our DOFF missions and what they can commission you to order!) for players around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bernard Shaw
There are no secrets except the secrets that keep themselves.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 34
# 10
04-20-2013, 01:06 PM
I could see a Liberated Borg faction, where the disparate Borg survivors (remember that story-wise, the Queen is dead and the Borg are destroyed due to the events of the Hive STF) band together to try and form their own society. But that wouldn't be a player faction- perhaps a reputation faction.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.