Lt. Commander
My XFX GTX 260 Black Edition decided to die on me, more specifically the video ram is fried and I need to get a new GPU. I want something relatively cheap,not quite as large, and something that can run STO smoothly. Any recommendations from the STO community would be greatly appreciated. My system specs are below.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00 Ghz
Motherboard: Micro Star International MS-7360
Ram: 4gb
Power Supply: OKIA-650ATX 650W
Audio: Realtek HD Audio
Video Card: After my GTX 260 died I reinstalled my old GPU a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian_T_Malachi
My XFX GTX 260 Black Edition decided to die on me, more specifically the video ram is fried and I need to get a new GPU. I want something relatively cheap,not quite as large, and something that can run STO smoothly. Any recommendations from the STO community would be greatly appreciated. My system specs are below.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00 Ghz
Motherboard: Micro Star International MS-7360
Ram: 4gb
Power Supply: OKIA-650ATX 650W
Audio: Realtek HD Audio
Video Card: After my GTX 260 died I reinstalled my old GPU a NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Did it die when running the game or before? lol.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-14-2010, 05:49 PM
GTX series has a stutter problem unless you use a specific (old) driver and anti-aliasing doesn't work at all on ATI cards for now, so it's hard to recommend something for STO till they fine-tune things.

Doesn't XFX have a lifetime, even double-lifetime warranty? RMA that sukka

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div-II
Did it die when running the game or before? lol.
You know STO (and CO too) make my GTX run hotter than any game or stress test I've run. I rarely seen my GTX 280 go into the 70's and with STO and CO it can hit high 70's, so I think this engine really works the GPU
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
The obvious answer would be something from the Radeon HD 5000 series. Since you said you wanted something smaller, I would recommend the 5770. It has a superior level of performance to the original GTX260, and is not at all far behind the GTX260 SP216, it's not a very large card, it has very little power draw for its level of performance (like all cards in that series), and it'll only set you back $160.

Of course, before you do anything like buying a new GPU, I'd go with what pallas suggested and attempt an RMA.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
The obvious answer would be something from the Radeon HD 5000 series. Since you said you wanted something smaller, I would recommend the 5770. It has a superior level of performance to the original GTX260, and is not at all far behind the GTX260 SP216, it's not a very large card, it has very little power draw for its level of performance (like all cards in that series), and it'll only set you back $160.

Of course, before you do anything like buying a new GPU, I'd go with what pallas suggested and attempt an RMA.
I was thinking of getting one of the two below from newegg.com because of their significatly lower price which is more within my price range. Though my knowledge of video cards isn't that great. So I am unsure of what to buy that I can actually afford at this moment which will still do the trick.

BFG Tech BFGEGT2201024D2BE GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-14-2010, 06:03 PM
It died while running STO and XFX does have a lifetime warranty. I've already spoken with them and am going to RMA with them. Unfortunately repairing the old one or getting yet another GTX 260 would probably only result in this happening again. Which is why I've decided to buy a new GPU just in case so I can have a backup. As it stands I can't play STO with my current video card.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-14-2010, 06:20 PM
were you runnign on full graphics cus im running a 230 and now you have me worried
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
At first I was running on high graphics, then lowered them because my card was running way too hot. Apparently I didn't lower them enough. Device manager doesn't recognize the card and gives me a Device Cannot Start Code 10 error. Tried different drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling several different times. Using driver sweeper and just about every fix that was recommended and still the problem presists. At start up of my PC I get tiny green dots all over my screen which has led me to believe my video ram on the card is fried.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian_T_Malachi
It died while running STO and XFX does have a lifetime warranty. I've already spoken with them and am going to RMA with them. Unfortunately repairing the old one or getting yet another GTX 260 would probably only result in this happening again. Which is why I've decided to buy a new GPU just in case so I can have a backup. As it stands I can't play STO with my current video card.
I knew it lol, I'm just waiting for more people to say this game is literally breaking peoples PC's... Gonna have to play the game in a walk in fridge or somthing...
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
That's the next step... already have my window open and a box fan on my pc to keep the temp down and it still fried my video ram. And it's 50 degrees f here. I bought the card in July so it's not even that old. Have run all the Call of Duty Games, Fallout 3, Half Life 2 all episodes, and various other graphic intensive games and non of them have produced the same amount of heat as STO. Don't know what else I can do to cool my pc any more than it already is sort of freezing temps