Lt. Commander
Hi there,

This is not a huge deal by any means, but I would love to get some good technical opinions. I have 2 pcs side-by-side, both very good, both playing STO beta. One is new, and one 3 years old or so. Although the new one pretty much blows away the old in every possible benchmark, the old consistently loads zones much faster - sometimes by 10 seconds or more. It seems to me that at the very least load times should be comparable. For the life of me I just don't understand why they are not - but I am sure I will get some good ideas here.

One big difference is that the old one runs XP 32-bit, new one 7 64-bit, so maybe that is it right there. So here are the pcs, let me know what you think? Would the RAM timings (able to get tighter on the older PC) make that much difference? Let me know if there are any other specs you would like to see. Oh, and both are connected to the same router.

Old PC:
nVidia 680i Motherboard, Core Duo Conroe OC'd to 3.0 GHz
XP 32-bit
2 GB, 800 MHz RAM, 4-4-4-12 2T
160 GB Raptor
nvidia 8800 GTX

New PC:
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Motherboard, i7 860 OC'd to 3.36 GHz
Windows 7 64-bit
8 GB, 1600 MHz RAM, 9-9-9-28 CR1
320 GB VelociRaptor (beats the Raptor in all HD benchmarks)
ATI 5870

Thanks very much!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-17-2010, 07:56 AM
The RAM would definitely make a difference with regards to loading. As well as the video card.

One of the big differences is the capabilites of the graphics card. When you get into the higher end graphic cards they tend to have to load a lot more as they're capable of more shiny graphics. In the end the server plays a large part as well. Sometimes it's just the way the server is responding to said machine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Nekkid,

Thanks very much for the reply! Regarding RAM, I would have thought that the new RAM running at 1600 MHz as opposed to 800 MHz would pretty much make any timing settings differences hard to notice. Definitely wouldn't think a 10 second difference anyway, but maybe it does make that much of a difference.....

Regarding the video card differences, wouldn't the in-game video settings dictate any differences? I set those as identical for the two machines thinking that would "even them out".

Perhaps it is indeed how the server responds to the machines - I am still thinking that maybe XP has the edge over Windows 7 here as far as responsiveness goes, but I am no expert.....

Anyone else care to weigh in on this? Just really surprised that my shiny new machine is being outplayed by a 3 year-old box... Thanks in advance for any help that might be out there!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2010, 08:27 AM
You should be noticiing a siginficant difference in the quality of the game not only with graphics, but with how the game runs as well when comparing the two.

Those cards have different specifications. So it doesn't matter if your settings are identical. For instance, the ATI may have a higher number of pipelines and or shaders over the nVidia card. (I can't remember the exact number off hand.)

If you were noticing a discrepancy between the two machines duraing actual gameplay, than I would definitely be looking to tweak some settings. But the loading time difference isn't really that significant in the overall scheme of things. Now, loading 30 seconds or more might indicate something needs to be tweaked. Also just out of curiosity, are you loading at the same time on both machines? I mean, are you attempting to do this on both machines at the same time? Because then you have 2 machines talking to the same server at the same time fighting for the information
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Great points, Nekkid, I totally agree. Aside from load times, the "new" PC outperforms the old one (fps, smoothness, etc.) The only bummer with the new PC is that AA doesn't work yet with the ATI card (discussed in other threads).

Also, great point - to test this, we ARE synchronizing our server requests. If this were just a random matter of one machine beating the other to the server, you would think that would even out over time. I am definitely convinced that the "old" one loads MUCH quicker, but perhaps that is indeed due to the difference in video cards as you mention. Also, doesn't seem to get as bad as 30 seconds. Just 10-20 seconds or so consistently.

One other observation in case anyone is interested - the 8800/Conroe 680i combo runs a LOT hotter than the 5870/860 i7 combo. I am pleasantly surprised how cool the 5870/860 i7 is!

Now, If only I could match those load times......