Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 73
# 1 Other Warp Cores
05-15-2013, 09:22 PM
With the release of the new warp cores. I was wondering what other warp cores the other factions would have?

I know according to Star Trek Canon, the Federation and Klingon Empire have a matter/antimater warp core and the Romulan Star Empire/Romulan Republic have the singularity warp cores, but what about warp cores from the:

Cardassian Union, Breen Confederacy Borg Collective, Tholian Assembly, Ferengi Alliance and Dominion?

Is there any Star Trek Canon information about the warp cores of each of these factions? If so can you please post it so I can read it.

Thanks
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,208
# 2
05-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Borg had a decentralized warp drive, probably part of the transwarp node assemblies with multiple per ship.

I don't think any of the other races you mentioned have ever had anything on-screen regarding their warpcores, and the only other type listed beyond Matter-Antimatter and Singularity on Memory Alpha is Yoyodyne pulse fusion used on early earth ships and 23rd century El-Aurians.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 649
# 3
05-16-2013, 03:35 AM
when are they coming out?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,052
# 4
05-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
when are they coming out?
Tuesday (and this is not a reference to Star Trek 7).

With Legacy of Romulus.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 324
# 5
05-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by row124 View Post
With the release of the new warp cores. I was wondering what other warp cores the other factions would have?

I know according to Star Trek Canon, the Federation and Klingon Empire have a matter/antimater warp core and the Romulan Star Empire/Romulan Republic have the singularity warp cores, but what about warp cores from the:

Cardassian Union, Breen Confederacy Borg Collective, Tholian Assembly, Ferengi Alliance and Dominion?

Is there any Star Trek Canon information about the warp cores of each of these factions? If so can you please post it so I can read it.

Thanks
There is no Canon Star Trek information about what these races use for a central power core. Though, I can guess what the Cardassian's, Ferengi, and Dominion do use. A type of powerplant similar to a M/AM Reaction system. Maybe not the exact same setup as the Federation or Klingons, but very close. For the Ferengi, I wouldn't be surprised to see and actual Federation designed core in their ship given their propensity towards greed and salvaging what they can find (even if it is still crewed).

Tholians, I wouldn't be surprised to see a high radiation type drive since they are immune to most forms of Radiation.

Breen would probably use something closer to the Romulan Singularity core. Far more resilient against their energy drain weapons.

Borg, as stated, use a decentralized power system. As shown on the TNG episode 'Best of Both World's', they rely upon multiple redundancies and spread all of the systems throughout the ship. Makes for a very hard opponent when they have VERY few weak points, unlike all of the other races.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 761
# 6
05-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar2009 View Post
There is no Canon Star Trek information about what these races use for a central power core. Though, I can guess what the Cardassian's, Ferengi, and Dominion do use. A type of powerplant similar to a M/AM Reaction system. Maybe not the exact same setup as the Federation or Klingons, but very close.
In Trek canon, M/AM or Singularities are the only methods that we see ships use to produce enough energy to sustain a warp field. Some fans surmise the Romulans used fusion back in TOS to power their warp nacelles, but their range was tiny and their fuel ran out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar2009 View Post
For the Ferengi, I wouldn't be surprised to see and actual Federation designed core in their ship given their propensity towards greed and salvaging what they can find (even if it is still crewed).
The Ferengi actually bought warp drive rather than inventing it for themselves, so probably M/AM cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar2009 View Post
Tholians, I wouldn't be surprised to see a high radiation type drive since they are immune to most forms of Radiation.
They probably use M/AM cores with exposed dilithium crystals and no magnetic shielding whatsoever to heat their ship interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar2009 View Post
Breen would probably use something closer to the Romulan Singularity core. Far more resilient against their energy drain weapons.
During the Dominion war, Romulan ships were equally vulnerable as Starfleet ships to the Breen energy drain weapon. The singularity cores apparently don't resist anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
So yes... you could get everything here for free.
Just like you can get a free steak dinner by collecting dropped pennies in the parking lot.

Last edited by emacsheadroom; 05-16-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 629
# 7
05-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by row124 View Post
With the release of the new warp cores. I was wondering what other warp cores the other factions would have?

I know according to Star Trek Canon, the Federation and Klingon Empire have a matter/antimater warp core and the Romulan Star Empire/Romulan Republic have the singularity warp cores, but what about warp cores from the:

Cardassian Union, Breen Confederacy Borg Collective, Tholian Assembly, Ferengi Alliance and Dominion?

Is there any Star Trek Canon information about the warp cores of each of these factions? If so can you please post it so I can read it.

Thanks
In Valiant it is implied that the Dominion use Antimatter aboard their ships so it is safe to assume they use some kind of M/AM Reactor. What fuel it is, well we don't know; the UFP uses Deuterium while the KDF uses Tritium so maybe they use some other hydrogen isotope (Protium?)

In STO Tholian ships tend to rip a hole in to the Mirror Universe when they blow so perhaps they use some other exotic reactor system.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,052
# 8
05-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
In Valiant it is implied that the Dominion use Antimatter aboard their ships so it is safe to assume they use some kind of M/AM Reactor. What fuel it is, well we don't know; the UFP uses Deuterium while the KDF uses Tritium so maybe they use some other hydrogen isotope (Protium?)

In STO Tholian ships tend to rip a hole in to the Mirror Universe when they blow so perhaps they use some other exotic reactor system.
Klingons use a mixture of 92.57% deuterium, 7.4% tritium and 0.03% pyroelectric crystal trigexite (whatever the heck that is).
["Hayne's Owner's Workship Manual Klingon Bird-of-Prey"]
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 629
# 9
05-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Klingons use a mixture of 92.57% deuterium, 7.4% tritium and 0.03% pyroelectric crystal trigexite (whatever the heck that is).
["Hayne's Owner's Workship Manual Klingon Bird-of-Prey"]
Pyroelectric crystal trigexite, would be trigexite crystal (made up name) that generates electricity when heated or cooled.

Not really sure why they would mix their reactants like that. If the antideuterium and tritium reacted there would be stray neutrons created that would need to be annihilated by stray antineutrons created by the opposite reaction, not to mention whatever is left over from the reaction of antimatter and trigexite (unless they have also created antitrigexite).

Klingon warp cores seem to be a great way to leave a trail of stray electrical discharges and subatomic particles though space.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,052
# 10
05-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Maybe they use the excess charges to power their microwaves.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 AM.