Lt. Commander
Since yesterday, my computer has rebooted at random whilst playing Star Trek Online. Sometimes in the middle of battle, opening an inventory screen, changing instances. Sometimes hours into game play, or minutes into logging in. What is odd that the previous 5 days of beta were relatively flawless crash-wise.

However, what I have noticed is that the graphics card seems unusually hot even minutes into playing, which seems odd considering STO isn't exactly a graphically stressing game compared to Crysis or Modern Warfare 2, both of which run without a hitch.

My computer has been running well, drivers are stable, scanned regularly for viruses and malware, has a good-quality power supply (FSP-manufactured Zalman-branded 500W) to power my system, which has an nVidia 8800GT.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Same here with an ATI 3870X2 graphic board.

It seems also in my case related to temperature, however the weird thing is that it happens randomly: after a few minutes in game, fan starts speeding up and then reboot.

I get back, play 2 hours and nothing happens.

Hmmm. Drivers are standard ATI, dec 09 issue (can't remember the name, should be 9.12 or something.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2010, 07:04 AM
If your PC is rebooting while gaming, it is either 1.) overheating and the video card or CPU shuts down, or 2.) you have defective components.

Check system/CPU temps with software such as SpeedFan, and check video card temps with your ATI Catalyst software, or for NVIDIA cards, with your NVIDIA control panel. You can also use third party software to check video card temps.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
I'll do that.

Also, bizarrely, I noticed during one freeze, the CPU usage (all four cores) was 99%. Something is wrong here.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFN View Post
I'll do that.

Also, bizarrely, I noticed during one freeze, the CPU usage (all four cores) was 99%. Something is wrong here.
Yup, 99% usage on all four cores is a problem. STO shouldn't be utilizing any quad core CPU that much. What program were you using to check the CPU usage? Or was it the performance monitor in Windows?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2010, 10:03 AM
My keyboard has an LCD panel that shows CPU usage on all cores. Saw it at 99% last time the PC locked up.

Just tested STO again - GPU temp was 63C CPU was 53C. Then computer rebooted.

I need to test some of my other games and see if I have this problem - I don't want to deal with hardware problems at the moment. Money is tight.