Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward > Captain's Table (RP)
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,625
Okay, so this is an idea I recently had; about a year-and-a-half ago there was a thread dealing with the possibility of peace between the Federation and Klingon Empire. The thread became a role-play where numerous players (myself included) would take part in an ever-changing story. That thread later continued in a new thread under a new name when the OP decided to return to a non-RP format. That thread has now progressed over a century from where the game is currently set. Here's the link to that thread if you want to join in on it: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=274108

(I recommend just asking to be bought up to speed instead of reading through all 750+ pages of it. The guys on the thread will gladly help you out.)

However, I somewhat miss the massive, constantly changing atmosphere of the old thread, where 100s of things could be happening at once. It felt like I was really part of an ever-evolving universe (and it was fun dodging Romulans while fighting the Tzenkethi ).

So, what I'm proposing is a thread where anyone can join in and tell the story of their character in an environment where everyone is contributing to an ever-expanding universe, where our characters can be doing one thing in one place and have it effect someone else in another.

What you do is completely up to you; you don't have to use one of your in-game characters and you don't have to limit yourself to the in-game factions. Don't even feel that you have to remain strictly canon. You can use non-canon sources for inspiration if you wish, so long as it does not contradict the established history outlined in the game, and you recognise that not everyone will have read the source material you're using. For example, say I use Starbase: Vanguard as a base, I'd have to state that I took inspiration from the Vanguard novels and give a brief summary of the Station's background.

Again, don't feel confined to using canon sources. As Leonard Nimoy once said "the possibilities are endless".

For sake of universal continuity and lack of headaches, we'll say that the thread's timeline starts divergence from STO on 10th June, 2412, when this thread was started (keep in mind, STO was in 2409 when it launched in 2010, so it is only 399 years ahead, as opposed to the originally intended 400). That is, roughly, Stardate 89440, according to: http://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm

For sake of easy communication, here's how formatting should work:

'OOC:' = 'Out of character' (when the poster is speaking separate of the story in the post).

Actions or events should be contained by asterisks (*). E.g. *Captain Picard took the cup of Earl Grey from the replicator.*

When writing out of character during dialogue, please make it distinguishable from the actual dialogue via brackets () or asterisks **.

This is purely to help everyone follow each other's posts.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.
The Game of Houses (A Klingon fan-fic)

"Logic and War are old enemies"

Vice Admiral Soval - Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Bunker Hill
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,784
# 2
06-10-2013, 02:11 PM
*The U.S.S. Black Phantom, Defiant class warship, flies up*

Admiral Voporak: Cloak us.

*The ship cloaks*

That's better. *ahem* Time, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the warship Black Phantom. Its never-ending mission: to explore strange new timelines, to seek out new technologies and new weapons, to defiantly go where no captain has gone before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramming Speed at its finest.
[Combat (Self)] Your Ramming Speed III deals 158125 (201492) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to [Player's Scimitar].
We are the Borg. Irrelevancy is irrelevant. ~ Cry OP, and let slip the devs of nerf!
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my mission! :-)

Last edited by voporak; 06-10-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added a cool line for my cool character.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,625
# 3
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
OOC: Note that, since this line is followed by an action, I don't need to separate it from dialogue, as the action already does so.

*U.S.S. Bunker Hill, Aventine-Class Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Vessel. Eta Eridani Sector Block.

Vice Admiral Soval is seated in his Ready Room, a steaming cup of replicated Vulcan Spice Tea on his desk as he looks, almost emotionless, though curiously, at the man sitting across from him, who is wearing a white jacket with a teal shirt beneath it, similar to many Federation Scientists.*

Soval: I am afraid I do not understand your question, Dr Lassiter.

Dr Lassiter: Quite simple Admiral; "Do you know how much time is left?"

Soval: Yes, but you have neglected to inform me of what "time" you are referring to.

Dr Lassiter: Anything. Everything! They say time is the fire in which we burn! As a Vulcan, and a Scientist, surely you can understand that!

Soval: They also say that time is a companion, which goes with us on the journey and reminds us to treasure every moment, for they'll never come again.

As a Vulcan, I understand the impulse to find a logical analogy for a force as mysterious and unknown as time, but, I also understand the illogic of making such an attempt.

But, Doctor, surely you did not come aboard simply to discuss philosophy?

Dr Lassiter: Why not? Where time is involved, philosophy and science are one and the same.

Soval: Doctor, I have already told you that the Federation Council has withdrawn your permission to conduct temporal research separate of your posting at the Manhiem Research Centre at Earth. I fail to see your logic in continuing to pursue this matter.

If time is the fire in which we burn, why stand still in the inferno as you are attempting to now?

Dr Lassiter: If time is a companion, reminding us to cherish every moment, then why do you threaten your own standing by alienating your own people?

*Soval raises an eyebrow in surprise.*

Why else do you always need to be accompanied by a Security Officer when you travel to Vulcan now? I read your book; "Emotion and Logic: Fire and Ice". It was truly an intriguing read. A study on the symbiosis between logic and emotion, comparing it to dark and light. Also your suggestions on the potential benefits of allowing logic and emotion to co-exist in harmony... Most Vulcans would call you mad.

Soval: Most Vulcans have already made a case of doing so, Doctor. My proposals were not exactly received... favourably, by my people.

Dr Lassiter: Even so, it makes me wonder what it would be like if humans adopted logic and rid themselves of emotion, as your people have.

Soval: Doctor, I suspect that if humanity adopted logic, we would not be sitting here having this conversation; you would have yielded to the simple truths of your situation with your "hourglass project" and left me in piece to file my reports with Starfleet Command.

*Lassiter smiles.*

Dr Lassiter: I see your point.

*Lassiter stands.*

Admiral.

*He then walks out onto the Bridge just as Commander T'las, the ship's half-Vulcan half-Human First Officer, steps into the threshold.*

T'las: Admiral.

Soval: Come in, Commander.

*She takes a seat across from him.*

T'las: The Doctor still wants to return to his lab?

Soval: Indeed. How humans can remain so stubborn when the futility of their situation is obvious, I do not understand. And the more obvious the futility, the more stubborn they become.

T'las: Perhaps that is one emotion you should have taken into account when you wrote that novel.

*Soval raises an eyebrow at T'las, though letting a slight hint of amusement creep onto his face.*

Soval: A joke, T'las?

*T'las smiles back at him.*

T'las: An observation, Soval.

Soval: Indeed?

It sounded like humour. Human humour, in fact.

Well, Commander, did you have something to report?

*T'las produces a PADD and hands it to Soval.*

T'las: Tomorrow's Duty Roster for your review, Admiral. We also have Captain Allington aboard the Victorious asking for a status report on Starbase 41, and the rest of the 41st Fleet.

Soval: Very well.

*He glances over the roster before placing his thumbprint authorisation and handing it back to T'las.*

Inform the Captain that he shall receive a full report tomorrow at 09:00 Earth Standard.

T'las: Aye, sir.

Soval: Anything else?

*T'las stands, shaking her head.*

Dismissed.

*OOC: I've used my in-game characters here as they're the ones I am most familiar with, but if you wish to create new ones altogether, feel free. The only limit to how many characters you can run is how many you can keep up with!*
The Game of Houses (A Klingon fan-fic)

"Logic and War are old enemies"

Vice Admiral Soval - Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Bunker Hill
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,784
# 4
06-10-2013, 02:44 PM
OOC: Quick Q- this is a totally different universe/timeline/place from the other rp thread, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramming Speed at its finest.
[Combat (Self)] Your Ramming Speed III deals 158125 (201492) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to [Player's Scimitar].
We are the Borg. Irrelevancy is irrelevant. ~ Cry OP, and let slip the devs of nerf!
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my mission! :-)
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,625
# 5
06-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
OOC: Quick Q- this is a totally different universe/timeline/place from the other rp thread, right?
Correct. The only similarity is this also follows the STO timeline. Aside from that, clean slate.

BTW, you jumped on this thread pretty quick, Voporak. I hadn't even posted the link to this on the other thread yet!
The Game of Houses (A Klingon fan-fic)

"Logic and War are old enemies"

Vice Admiral Soval - Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Bunker Hill
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,784
# 6
06-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 View Post
Correct. The only similarity is this also follows the STO timeline. Aside from that, clean slate.

BTW, you jumped on this thread pretty quick, Voporak. I hadn't even posted the link to this on the other thread yet!
I wanted to put in some cool intro for Voporak as the first reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramming Speed at its finest.
[Combat (Self)] Your Ramming Speed III deals 158125 (201492) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to [Player's Scimitar].
We are the Borg. Irrelevancy is irrelevant. ~ Cry OP, and let slip the devs of nerf!
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my mission! :-)
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,469
# 7
06-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
I wanted to put in some cool intro for Voporak as the first reply.
OOC: the man out of place with time lol. Ryan give me a little time to get a character and taht all set up and i will be happy to post here as well hm something science i think oh the possibilities.
" great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame"
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
# 8 Romulan
06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
I wanted to put in some cool intro for Voporak as the first reply.
Simply, human, I am Romulan. You are not. You lack the capacity of our self sacrifice, as it is ingrained from birth and supplemented by example and history. You are more numerous but are never better simply by numbers but only by individual achievement. You will never understand our "ideal of enemy" which demonstrably claims and praises both those we defeat and sings paeans for those who us defeat. It was long ago we struck out separate from our Vulcan brothers as their choices were found by us to be too limiting, too subservient, and too failure prone.
I am not certain I can explain this.... Once again, basically, our differences are at times immense and at other times are minuscule. If everyone does fight to win, so do we, but! We fight to win forever! no matter our personal sacrifice.
As said D'Dar of Remus in 2069 (your date method!): "Sometimes you 'win,' sometimes you 'lose,' but only a Romulan knows true Victory is when that victory is well colored and odored and when the Warrior never finds fault with his own dedication and service."
I've been tasked to clarify some details I forget are not common among all warriors:

Wherein Victory is that or any outcome which does not deny nor denigrate ones Racial honor.
Wherein honorable actions are not dependent on "my own" interpretations of our Romulan goals.
Wherein Defeat is not that outcome that identifies any personal fault nor failure, nor excuse it, but may identify it, but only that which can cause pause to the success of the Romulan Way.

Sooo? If you aren't Romulan you are dust.
If you are dust, we need brooms or shovels.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 274
# 9
03-28-2014, 02:04 PM
OOC: Only just found this. Could I please be filled in on what is going on? Thanks.
Join Star Trek Battles!
Lieutenant
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 86
# 10
04-05-2014, 02:37 PM
OOC: I hope this tread isn't dead, since it's been almost a month since last post, even more since the last big player posted
R.R.W Impavadus V was on the outskirts of the Haakona System. It's long range sensors just picked up a probe in Reman space.

Subcommander T'eal: Admiral?

Vice Admiral Baroan: Yes T'eal?

T'eal: Sensors have picked up a probe of Federation classifications on it's way to the Vault. It seems to have originated from an area of conflict between the Borg, Klingons, and Feds. There also seems to be a Romulan ship that recently announced it's rebellion by attacking a the I.K.S. Kang, in the very system infact.

Admiral Baroan: Have you informed the Remans yet?

T'eal: I have hailed them several times, but the system is quiet....

Baroan: Hmm, well. That isn't like Obisek at all. Warp to the sector where the probe originated from. Engage cloak as a precaution.

OOC: Baroan is my main char in this, he's a Romulan of 29 years. He's a Science Officer in the Republic military, mainly because his profession during the Romulan Diaspora was as a doctor. He joined when the Tal'Shiar attacked Virinat. Basic tutorial mission story. He took more of a research and diplomacy role, though. He was D'Tan's personal assisstant and diplomat to the Federation and helped persuade them to join the treaty talks at Khitomer. The Fed characters should have at least heard of him. Sorry for sucha big backstory in an OOC insert.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 PM.