Career Officer
# 1 Generations
06-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Surely it took more time to evacuate everyone to the saucer section than it would have taken for everyone to go to the escape pods and get to a safe distance....?

Anyone care to explain?
Rihannsu
# 2
06-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Simple reason is they wanted an epic crash scene. but if you want the technical reason then i dont think that escape pods have impulse engines. only thrusters. (perhaps some techy knows for sure?)

so the saucer is moving away at full impulse and still gets hit by the blast. escape pods will be moving at thrusters only, (maybe a lower impulse at max) and even with the increased time still would have been closer to the ship than the saucer was so they would have been incinerated by the explosion.

if it has been a random explosion, it probably would have been fine, but this was a warp core explosion and the power/range would have been too much for the pods to escape.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 3
06-29-2013, 09:43 AM
surely though that any normal explosion would result in the same power?
warp core still gets obliterated...
Career Officer
# 4
06-29-2013, 09:45 AM
And...to be a pain.... If you design an escape pod surely you would make it so that is had enough power to get away fast... :p
Commander
# 5
06-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Yeah, it was just for the epic crash. I don't think they cared a bit about explaining it logically. They just wanted it to happen, so they made it happen.

Best explanation? The crew left in charge of the Enterprise made a rash decision and didn't really think it through.

Generations is actually the only Trek movie I deeply disliked, so I don't spend much time trying to figure out its plot developments.
Career Officer
# 6
06-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Well I always experienced it as if Riker expected the saucer to not crash...

I don't believe his character would have taken the chance on loosing people (they were lucky), and not used the saucer as evacuation method if he had not believed it to be the best possible solution.

If he had known, or even suspected the saucer would crash, he'd probably had ordered the use of the escape pods.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports