Ensign
I just recently came back to STO and am not so clear on two traits in the new trait system -- Stubborn and Mental Discipline. Aren't these traits virtually the same thing? At first they specify slight differences, but I later find them in my ability pool for use as an active ability. Then they both pretty much indicate they break hold effects as active abilities.

Anyway, I ended up getting both; I like all the traits I picked except these two. If they are close to being the same I'd really like to dump one (probably mental discipline since my character started with Stubborn back when it was just a passive trait when the game began), and pick-up another much need space trait like Techie.

Any advice would really be helpful, Thanks.
Commander
# 2
07-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmader View Post
I just recently came back to STO and am not so clear on two traits in the new trait system -- Stubborn and Mental Discipline. Aren't these traits virtually the same thing? At first they specify slight differences, but I later find them in my ability pool for use as an active ability. Then they both pretty much indicate they break hold effects as active abilities.

Anyway, I ended up getting both; I like all the traits I picked except these two. If they are close to being the same I'd really like to dump one (probably mental discipline since my character started with Stubborn back when it was just a passive trait when the game began), and pick-up another much need space trait like Techie.

Any advice would really be helpful, Thanks.
I used stubborn for about a week. It works, once, I changed it when I realised that it was a one off ability and gives no immunity to confuse for 'x' seconds. This renders it pretty much pointless on maps like Mine Trap which have confuse spam. If I remember rightly, I switched for helmsman which I bought on the exchange.

Wanted: 200,000 Dilithium Special Feature Projects for Romulan skinned Fleet Holdings.
Captain
# 3
07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Mental Discipline also comes with a toolbar ability that lets you throw off Holds (at least of a psychic origin) and gives you some resistance to psychic damage. I forget what else it comes with off the top of my head.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 4
07-16-2013, 03:02 PM
The active component for Stubborn breaks Confuse and Placate effects, while the active component for Mental Discipline breaks Holds. Salt Vampires confuse, for instance, as do Elachi, while Stun setting on Phasers is a Hold.
Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
Twitter: @JeffAHamilton