Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 126
STO already has one of the best characters in any game, but wouldn't it be awesome if you had access to every uniform/body option from every faction/race? I don't expect to actually wear something like this in-game, but it would be amazing just to bring out the character creator's full unrestricted potential.

Now I get that there will be glitches/species differences, but the possibilities there are too great to ignore and I'm sure that workarounds can be found.

So is there anything like this out there? Any way to run the creator by itself? Anything that can achieve something like this (first rule)? If there isn't, is anyone interested in developing one?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 306
# 2
09-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Are you talking about a stand alone creator? If so, that would be pretty fun. Don't see it happening in game though. As for character customization, I find the model used in Champions Online to be superior. Much more freedom allowed than the rather ridged form we must contend with here.

Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
Member since early 2011
Member of Lag Industries ~ http://lagfleet.enjin.com/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 242
# 3
09-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Something similar to what you're talking about exists in the Foundry, but even there it has limits.

As for the CO creator, it excels with its robust drop-down and menu choices for customization, whereas STO has more customization in its scaling sliders.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,838
# 4
09-28-2013, 05:47 PM
CBS Studios says no. Cryptic had to alter a lot around launch due to their concerns that unrestricted customization took away the immersion. We used to have the off-duty color palette for regular uniforms, for instance. But there were a lot of eyesores and CBS Studios said to restrict the color palette, so they did. Similarly we were able to colorize our phasers to a large spectrum of colors, but CBS Studios stepped in and said that energy weapon colors had to remain consistent.

Regardless of anyone's opinions on "That's stupid, because we still have X and Y. And they take away immersion!", it's their intellectual property and it doesn't matter what we think.

This is also why certain alien species only have access to particular hairstyles. The character editor has the ability to do a lot more than it currently does, but it's largely up to CBS Studios to decide what is allowed and what isn't.

This is why we'll never get unrestricted character editing.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,016
# 5
09-28-2013, 06:30 PM
The fact that there is no crossover from Uniforms and Off Duty clothing is rather absurd. Plenty of characters have mixed and matched over the course of the series.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 126
# 6
09-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
The fact that there is no crossover from Uniforms and Off Duty clothing is rather absurd. Plenty of characters have mixed and matched over the course of the series.
I agree, I really don't see why CBS would have an issue...
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 126
# 7
09-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
CBS Studios says no. Cryptic had to alter a lot around launch due to their concerns that unrestricted customization took away the immersion. We used to have the off-duty color palette for regular uniforms, for instance. But there were a lot of eyesores and CBS Studios said to restrict the color palette, so they did. Similarly we were able to colorize our phasers to a large spectrum of colors, but CBS Studios stepped in and said that energy weapon colors had to remain consistent.

Regardless of anyone's opinions on "That's stupid, because we still have X and Y. And they take away immersion!", it's their intellectual property and it doesn't matter what we think.

This is also why certain alien species only have access to particular hairstyles. The character editor has the ability to do a lot more than it currently does, but it's largely up to CBS Studios to decide what is allowed and what isn't.

This is why we'll never get unrestricted character editing.
Wow, so I'm assuming this is out of the question in the game itself?
P.S. Love that signature.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,838
# 8
09-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiweitech View Post
Wow, so I'm assuming this is out of the question in the game itself?
P.S. Love that signature.
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: It's not completely out of the question, but whenever CBS Studios says 'Jump', Cryptic's only response is 'How high?'. I would not mind loosened restrictions, but CBS Studios would have to change their mind. Which is possible, just not probable.

Also, thank you. It's glad to see my wit is appreciated.

Quote:
Seeing the Character creator apparently being artificially being imited because CBS cares about canon, lol.
They should take their time and look at STOs gameplay and some ships, THERE would be some stuff worth of a veto.

But the Character creator? Lol.
I am all for unlocking as many options as possible.
I mean Cryptics uniforms are already not reckoginzeable as Star Trek uniforms, what difference would it make if we would get a good color palette at least?

Someone understand that logic...
Read my previous part about "It doesn't matter what your opinion is regarding canon."

The only logic there is, is that CBS Studios owns the intellectual property of Star Trek. An owner can do with their property whatever and however they wish. Your opinion on Star Trek canon is irrelevant. When you own the Star Trek IP, then you can tell Cryptic Studios to look at the gameplay and ships and whatever else you want to nitpick over and force Cryptic to conform to your personal beliefs and opinions.

But you don't own the Star Trek IP. You may be a fan of Star Trek, but your personal beliefs and opinions do not matter. Cryptic might be your voice to CBS Studios (I seem to recall Mr. Stahl trying to push for a T5 Connie on multiple occasions), but that's all. They can only suggest and inform, they can not 'demand' or 'make'.

It doesn't matter if I agree with CBS Studios, it doesn't matter if I disagree with them. It's not my property.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147

Last edited by iconians; 09-30-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 126
# 9
09-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrunner View Post
Something similar to what you're talking about exists in the Foundry, but even there it has limits.

As for the CO creator, it excels with its robust drop-down and menu choices for customization, whereas STO has more customization in its scaling sliders.
Really? Can I have the name? I'd like to check it out.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 126
# 10
09-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracion666 View Post
Are you talking about a stand alone creator? If so, that would be pretty fun. Don't see it happening in game though. As for character customization, I find the model used in Champions Online to be superior. Much more freedom allowed than the rather ridged form we must contend with here.
Yeah, I guess, really anything that allows this would be pretty awesome, maybe insert via demo record or something? That would be amazing to see on a map.
Exia@yiweitech
U.S.S. Omega
Assimilation is Futile
United Federation Legion
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 PM.