Captain
# 1 recount of KDF pop?
10-07-2013, 12:05 AM
So, Cryptic/PWE, could we have a recount of the KDF population?
Join Star Trek Battles, to make your daily grind FUN!
Eating Bacon and playing KDF since September 2012! Proud supporter of the Breen Confederacy!
Owner of the ImperialChatTeam, a channel for KDF!
NO TO MANDATORY ARC!
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
10-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaster29 View Post
So, Cryptic/PWE, could we have a recount of the KDF population?
What are your parameters for what constitutes as the KDF population?

Number of gold members with accounts that have a KDF character?

Number of gold members with accounts that have a KDF character at level 50? If not, then at what level?

Would you count each KDF character on an account or simply the account itself for having a KDF character on it? Would each KDF character have to be logged in for a certain period of time? Would you include Romulan characters in this who are allied with the KDF or intending to be allied with the KDF?

Number of silver members with accounts that have a KDF character? At level 1 or level 50?

Would you include the number of characters an account has, or simply the KDF characters alone? Would this include gold or silver members?

If you include silver members, would you count the ones who didn't spend money on the game?

What about when they last logged in? At what point in time would you start the census for the KDF population?

How many hours/days/weeks must a KDF character be actively online and playing to count?

Would you simply count prime playing hours? If so, would you discount european players whose hours are different from the continental U.S.?

Would you count KDF players who stopped playing but are/were active on the forums? If so, at what point in time would that census start?

Would you include KDF players who don't PvP?

Would you discount KDF players who only log on for a few hours to get their 8k dilithium and then log out immediately after?

Keep in mind, it's normally an MMO's policy to keep player numbers secret, so asking for a census is generally regarded as rhetoric. Whenever numbers are released, it's generally skewed in favor of said MMO based on certain parameters I mentioned. This isn't a Cryptic/PWE thing, this is a game industry thing.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
10-07-2013, 01:09 AM
I'd settle for whatever parameters Cryptic/PWE used when they came up with their now "famous/infamous" 18% figure when describing how much of the player-base was KDF. I don't need to know what those parameters are.
I'm only curious because my fleet is called 18 Percent and I wonder if I should rename
Captain
# 4
10-07-2013, 01:39 AM
There's no point in it-no matter what comes out, it won't change Cryptic's behaviour.

At least, not in a direction that balances the factions or provides KDF customers with something..you know..KDF to buy.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
10-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowrulesupreme View Post
I'd settle for whatever parameters Cryptic/PWE used when they came up with their now "famous/infamous" 18% figure when describing how much of the player-base was KDF. I don't need to know what those parameters are.
I'm only curious because my fleet is called 18 Percent and I wonder if I should rename
Fair enough. I wouldn't mind hearing an update on that either.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Empire Veteran
# 6
10-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I wonder how KDF aligned Romulans would factor into population counts now, that said I very much doubt it will change the devs attitude of ''KDF? Whats that ?''
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
Don't waste your time or money.

The only people who die to AAs are people too dim to fly away from the damned thing...

I like to think of them as blue team natural selection...
Empire Veteran
# 7
10-07-2013, 09:45 AM
They should count every account that has an actively played KDF or KDF-Rom toon, even if its just a fed KDF farm toon.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Captain
# 8
10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowrulesupreme View Post
For anyone else interested, I believe that 'figure' came from Cryptic taking a headcount at conventions (i.e., how many people were there dressed as Klingons). That'll tell you just how valid that 'figure' was. . .even if it had the slightest bit of validity to it, it would only matter for determining how many people in the Trek community like to dress as Klingons. Completely useless for STO.

Federation trolls and asshats just took the figure and ran with it. I agree, we really don't need another figure pulled out of DStahl's nether regions.
tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
Career Officer
# 9
10-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Normalized playtime and not normalized playtime sounds like a good metric to me.
Captain
# 10
10-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Doesn't matter if they did a recount and post up active KDF players. Cryptic didn't care about the KDF playerbase when this game came out, back when we actually had far, far more players. And they still don't after almost 3 years of this game out with the barest of KDF development and with a smaller playerbase compared to when STO went live.