Lt. Commander
So yeah, seeing some oddites in the traits. I'm going to bug these in game too I think... but that is going to be a lot of work.

There are a few types of traits right now but they could be consolidated down to 2 types:
  • Innate
  • Activateable
  • Maintain - Please mark these as activatable instead.
  • Passive - Please mark these as innate instead.
  • Enhancement - Please mark these as innate instead.

Some bonuses are showing up as a number like +0.1 Accuracy instead of +10% Accuracy. Your description of the traits are also redundant, the title tells me the name of the trait and I don't need to see it a second time above its effects. And traits marked as Passive show their timer. You also have some activatable abilites not looking like activatable abilites.

Here is a quick rundown of what I THINK needs to be changed for each trait:
  • Accurate - Effect says "+0.1 Accuracy" and should be "+10% Accuracy"
  • Acute Senses - Description says "exploit damage by 10%" and should just be "exploit damage"
  • Acute Senses - Effect says "StealthSight" and should be "Stealth Sight"
  • Aggressive - Effect says "99,999 sec" when this should not be shown.
  • Aggressive - Effect says "+5% All Damage bonus strength" and should be "+5% Damage"
  • Astrophysicist - Description says "Improves your operation stat, wich..." and should just start with "Enhances you ship deflector, emitter, and sensor abilities."
  • Astrophysicist - Effect says "+10 Starship Operations Training" what does this actually do?
  • Borg Nanites - Effect says "99,999 sec" when it should not show this
  • Borg Nanites - Effect says "+.01 Health Regeneration" when it should say "+10% Health Regeneration"
  • Borg Nanites - Effect says "+10% Shield Regeneration strength" when it should say "+10% Shield Regeneration"
  • Borg Nanites - Effect says "*** Only affects certain things" what are those certain things?
  • Borg Neural Blast - Title says "Neural Blast" when it should say "Borg Neural Blast"
  • Borg Neural Blast - Description should say "Grants the activatable Neural Blast ability that injects your target with neural toxins that continually attempt to hold the target and also reduces the target's movement speed."
  • Borg Neural Blast - Effect says "Grants Neural Blast for 30 seconds" and should say "Infects your target with Neural Toxins for 30 seconds" as it stands now it seems that when I use this on my target they are going to use it right back on their target and so forth.
  • Borg Neural Blast - Effect says "; applies Hold Resist upon expiration" and should say "Applies Hold Resist to your target on expiration"
  • Circulatory Redundancies - Description says nothing about plasma damage resistence.
  • Circulatory Redundancies - Effects should be listed with the greatest effect at the top and the weakest on the bottom
  • Circulatory Redundancies - Effect says "*** Only affects certain things" what are those things?
  • Cold Blooded - Effect says "** Only effects certain things" well what things are those?
  • Cold Blooded - Effects should be listed with the greatest effect at the top and the weakest on the bottom
  • Covert - Description says "20% while stealthed" while the effect does not reflect this bonus
  • Covert - Effect says "Stealth strength" and should be "Stealth"
  • Creative - Effect says "+5% All Damage bonus strength" and should say "+5% Damage for Kit Powers"
  • Creative - Effect says "+5% Hit Point bonus strength" and should say "+5% Healing for Kit Powers"
  • Elusive - Effect says "+0.1 Defense" and shold say "+10% Defense"
  • Hyper Metabolism - Effect says "+0.1 Health Regeneration" and should say "+10% Health Regeneration"
  • Leadership - Description says "...leading to 15%..." and effect does not reflect this
  • Leadership - Effect says it does nothing
  • Limited Telepathy - Effect says "+20% StealthSight" and should be "+20% Stealth Sight"
  • Logical - The Icon for logical is not logical
  • Logical - Effect says "99,999 sec" and should not show this
  • Lucky - Description says "... and expose chance." while effect does not reflect this
  • Mental Discipline - Description says "... the effects of psionic attacks and..." when it should be "... confuse, placate, and psionic attacks." There is no reason to single out psionic attacks when it is the least powerful effect of this trait.
  • Mental Discipline - Effect says "99,999 sec" when it should not be shown
  • Mind Meld - Effect says "15.24" meter Range" and does not need to list it here
  • Mind Meld - Effect says "0.5 sec activate" and does not need to list it here
  • Mind Meld - Effect says "0.75 sec" umm 0.75 sec what? Does not need to show it here
  • Mind Meld - Effect says "(3 max)" umm (3 max) what? Does not need to show this
  • Mind Meld - Effect says "Hold" and should say "Holds your target for X sec"
  • Mind Meld - Effect says "+1 Confuse" and I assume it should say "Confuses your target for X sec"
  • Mind Meld - This really needs to look more like an activatble skill and less like a passive in the effect area
  • Nerve Pinch - Effect says "1.52 meter range" and should not really show this
  • Nerve Pinch - Effect says "0.27 sec activate" and should not really show this
  • Nerve Pinch - Effect says "Hold for 10 sec" and should say "Holds your target for 10 sec"
  • Nerve Pimch - Effect should start by saying "Applies Pinched Nerve to your target"
  • Nerve Pinch - Effect says "; applies Hold Immunity Strength to Energy Stun upon expiration" and should say "Applies Energy Stun Immunity to your target on expiration"
  • Physical Strength - Effect says "Enhances powers tagged as MeleeDMG" and this should not be shown.
  • Physical Strength - Effect says "Damage bonus strength" and should be "Damage"
  • Soldier - Effect says "+5% All Energy Damage bonus strenth" and should be "+5% Energy Damage"
  • Soldier - Effect says "+10 Critical Severity" is that a % or flat damage added? if it is flat damage added it should say "+10 Critical Damage"
  • Spiritual - Effect says "+10% bonus to healing abilities used on you" and should be "+10% Healing Recieved"
  • Spiritual - Effect says "+0.1 Health Regeneration" and shold say "+10% Health Regeneration"
  • Stubborn - Effects should be listed with the greatest effect at the top and the weakest on the bottom
  • Teamwork - Effect says "Targets Friend and Self" and should not show this here
  • Teamwork - Effect says "15 meter Sphere" and should not show this here
  • Teamwork - Effect says "3 sec" and should not show this at all
  • Teamwork - Effect says "Inceases team exploit damage" and should say "+5% Exploit Damage for team members within 15 meters"
  • Techie - Description says "Improves your engineering stat, wich..." remove this portion and just start with "Increases the effectiveness of..."
  • Techie - Effect says "+10 Starship Engineering Training" what does this relate to?
  • Telekinetic - Title says "Telekinesis" when it should be "Telekinetic"
  • Telekinetic - Description should say "Grants the activatable Telekinesis ability that allows you to knockback your foes."
  • Telepathic - Effect says "+20 StealthSight" when it should be "+20 Stealth Sight"
  • Warp Theorist - Description says "Improves your warp core stat, wich..." change this to just start with "Increases the power levels of your ship."
  • Warp Theorist - Effect says "+10 Starship Warp Core Training" and it should be "+10 Starship Power Level"
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 08:49 PM
This post, more than anything else, shows that there needs to be a quick guide for newbies for the stats used in the game.

Most of these actually make sense once you've played for a while. Most of them are not flat % bonuses to traits, or straight number additions.

Examples:
Warp Core Theorist, does not directly increase power levels. It increases the bonus provided by the skill Warp Core Training, which increases power levels. The net effect of this trait would be about a 2.5% increase, from memory, to the total power output with WCO fully trained.
+0.1 accuracy/evasion is not always 10%, it adds to the base number for these stats on your ship which may turn out to be more or less than 10%, depending on the ship and skills you have trained.

Most of the traits are meta traits - they effect a bonus that effects an attribute, they don't directly effect the attribute themselves. If you don't have the relevant skill trained/don't have a bonus to effect, then they have no effect themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faelerian
This post, more than anything else, shows that there needs to be a quick guide for newbies for the stats used in the game.
And this is why these need some love in their descriptions and effects; mainly because there are quite a few things that are not described well and certainly not enough understanding of what translates into what.

Why give hard numbers when it translates to something different?

+0.1 Accuracy either needs to be +0.1% accuracy or +10% accuracy as the stat for your ship's base accuracy is listed as 0.0% and it is still listed as 0.0% when you select this trait.

So do traits actually do anything?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
I agree with both of your posts: The descriptions on skills, powers, and most items in this game so far are severely lacking in any kind of actual usable information, and are generally ambiguous.

I feel that there definitely needs to be a quality pass on the descriptions for skills and powers so as to help the player make educated choices: Some of these early choices will affect a characters for it's entire existence.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
And there is no place to see what your chosen traits are once in game?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSWasabi
And there is no place to see what your chosen traits are once in game?
You can see them in one of the tabs of your character screen

One of the biggest improvements would be getting people to understand that most traits are meta-traits. It's why changing +0.1 accuracy to 10% doesn't work, or changing a 5% bonus to a bonus needs to be made clearer.

The traits are not the be all and end all; in the end, they either produce an effect, give a basic increase, or increase a bonus a little. They don't wholly change the character, or change the focus or definition of a character. You could play without a single trait, and not really notice a difference, I think.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Quote:
You can see them in one of the tabs of your character screen
Status Tab - Not there...
Progress Tab - Not there...
Stats Tab - Not there...
Skill-Based Stats: Ground Tab - Not there...
Skill-Based Stats: Space Tab - Not there...
Biography Tab - Not there...
Skills Tab - Not there...
Assignments Tab - Not there...
Log Tab - Not there...

Where else should I be looking?

Quote:
One of the biggest improvements would be getting people to understand that most traits are meta-traits.
Although I do understand what you are saying, I would say it would be better to show what the trait actually does instead of what it possibly does.

If it is going to be a bonus to another effect it needs to let us know; kind of like how Physical Strength shows that it effects only things that are MeleeDMG (horrible description though).

Quote:
It's why changing +0.1 accuracy to 10% doesn't work, or changing a 5% bonus to a bonus needs to be made clearer.
Yeah, but where does it show that +0.1 accuracy on my character or ship? I cannot find it.

Quote:
The traits are not the be all and end all; in the end...
They should not be the be all and end all; but they really should not confuse new players and in their current state I can see how that can be accomplished very easily.

Yes, I'm being OCD about this... but you got to agree that with the different way the same things are shown to us it gets to be a little too confusing as to what you actually are getting.