Lt. Commander
# 1 Voice Commands
01-30-2010, 12:33 AM
I figured out that I can use Vista Speech Recognition and a plugin from Microsoft "Windows Speech recognition macros" to create custom voice commands.
I have 4 spoken commands set so far:
"Red Alert" = Divert Power to weapons
"Shields up" = Divert Power to Shields
"Fly her apart" = Divert Power to Engines
"Needs of the many" = Balance power

The plugin is free and the whole thing was pretty easy to set up.
And I will be using my Xbox PC controller with headset as well. Still mapping it out for max control.

If you are looking for my Voice Attack thread try here.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=121077
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Thought I would give a little tutorial on setting up voice commands.

There are 4 things you will need:
Windows Vista / Windows 7
Windows Speech Recognition software (pre-installed on Vista / 7)
Windows speech Recognition macros. (Download here)
Standard voice Headset (A boom mic will work, but I am not sure how well)

A powered mic is said to be the best for speech. I use a Xbox PC controller with the standard plug in headset for it. I think the Xbox mic is considered powered.

If you have never used WSR go to Start-Programs-Accessories-Ease of Access and Windows Speech Recognition. You need to have your mic ready because you will need to complete a 10-15 minute voice training. If you try and rush through it you will have poor results with you voice commands.

After completing training you can install the WSRM and two new icons in the system tray.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/att...0&d=1264971784
The purpose of the WSRM, by the way, is so that you can create custom voice commands. So instead of saying the actual key required to execute the command you can create your on command. Here are a few I have.
“Red Alert” = Power to weapons
“Raise Shields” = Power to Shields
“Engage” = Full Impulse

Now right click on the WSRM icon in the system tray and choose New speech macro. Click on “Send Keystrokes”. Enter the text you want to say and the keystroke command below. Notice the difference between function keys and alpha-numeric keys as listed in the examples. You should keep you command as short as possible.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/att...1&d=1264972603
Click Create and you done. With one caveat…..

http://forums.startrekonline.com/att...2&d=1264972612

If you are speaking Klingon or techno babble you will need to train the WSR to understand the new phrase. (Yes I said if you are speaking Klingon.) To do this Right Click on the WSR icon and choose “Open the speech dictionary” then add new word. Type in the word and click next.
In the next window make sure to check Record a pronunciation upon finish, click finish and record your word.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/att...3&d=1264972622

Do this for every command you want to map to voice and free your hands from the keyboard / Controller.

Kaplah!

Sorry about the images not being embeded.

P.S. Almost forgot. You may have to go into windows sound options and make sure the mic you are using is set as the default. You also can adjust the mic sensitivity so that it does not pick up background noise/voices. Otherwise you significant other may lower you shields in the heat of battle.:p

P.S.S.
Big caveat if you using voice chat while voice commanding. WSR / WSRM will listen to everything you say and will launch other windows when it thinks it hears the right word or phrase.
If you do not want to deal with this then check my other thread on another voice app to use that will "listen for" only what you tell it to listen for.

Check out the Voice Attack thread <here>
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Very nice!

Thanks for the Tutorial! I am going to give this a shot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
FYI:
If you get an error message saying can't digitally sign. You will need to create a new sig file.
Right click on WSRM icon in system tray and choose security and create sig. cert.

Seems it is a little buggy and each time you reboot you have to create a signature cert each time you want to make more macros.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 01:44 PM
i will try this...

although i am not getting my hopes up, the last time i played with voice recognition with office (07?) it didnt work well for me.

personally i can think of nothing more annoying than trying to say "Shields up" and finding that i am stuck with the attack preset.

but who knows. maybe it got better since i last tried it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Testing one two three.

Voice recognition is great, thanks for recommending this.

I am writing this using the software right now, it needs a bit getting used to talking slowly but I can get used to this.

I vote for a sticky!!!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax63 View Post
I figured out that I can use Vista Speech Recognition and a plugin from Microsoft "Windows Speech recognition macros" to create custom voice commands.
I have 4 spoken commands set so far:
"Red Alert" = Divert Power to weapons
"Shields up" = Divert Power to Shields
"Fly her apart" = Divert Power to Engines
"Needs of the many" = Balance power

The plugin is free and the whole thing was pretty easy to set up.
And I will be using my Xbox PC controller with headset as well. Still mapping it out for max control.
What are the commands used for changing power settings in the game? been tryin to get that set up I have even gone so far as to map almost all keyboard short cuts. including map and interaction. I just can't find a way to switch power settings
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirah
What are the commands used for changing power settings in the game? been tryin to get that set up I have even gone so far as to map almost all keyboard short cuts. including map and interaction. I just can't find a way to switch power settings

genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_0 (power preset Attack)
genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_1 (power preset Defense)
genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_2 (power preset Speed)
genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_3 (power preset Aux.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks im going to try this out.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Having an issue
02-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Gax63: Thanks for posting this info it is much appreciated.

I set up the software and things are working except I can't get any of the combo keys to work, like ALT-1 or CTRL-1

I used the proper syntax {{CTRL}}1 but when the game executes the resulting keypress it only does a 1, not CTRL-1. Do the combo keys work for you?
Closed Thread