Lt. Commander
In EVE no matter how the game is built or played.. In EVE you feel like you really are in a vast universe. When you fly you can feel the distance between points. STO you dont get any of these feelings. i believe that most of the arguements between the 2 games stems from the point that everyone expected to feel the emersion of eve and instead feel ripped off by getting a small cardboard box taped to another that you get a loading screen to get to. THIS IS FREAKING STAR TREK where is my star trek???
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
did this really need another thread?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
did this really need another thread?

this

Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 06:26 AM
There is no debate, EVE and STO are very different. Apples and oranges...

If you have a problem with STO, just say what it is. But if you want it to be like EVE, get out and go to EVE. You already have it there. STO has its flaws (many of them), but not being like EVE is not one of them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximillian
There is no debate, EVE and STO are very different. Apples and oranges...

If you have a problem with STO, just say what it is. But if you want it to be like EVE, get out and go to EVE. You already have it there. STO has its flaws (many of them), but not being like EVE is not one of them.
First off i do play EVE... And at this present time EVE feels like a star trek more than star trek does. But I am not looking for another EVE i am looking for a star trek that i can become fully emersed in. I want be in space that feels like SPACE.. not a small little non-lighted cardboard box. Star trek barley feels like a MMO and It defentely DOESNT feel vast and wonderous. Or maybe im asking for too much out of it. Maybe I should expect a single player game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 06:34 AM
In Eve, a year's hard work making money, training skills, getting the ship you always wanted, etc can be undone by one or two guys looking to have fun at your expense. I play Eve and I love that aspect to it. I also love STO because I can play a game where I don't have to worry about it. I like both for what they are.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
In Eve, a year's hard work making money, training skills, getting the ship you always wanted, etc can be undone by one or two guys looking to have fun at your expense. I play Eve and I love that aspect to it. I also love STO because I can play a game where I don't have to worry about it. I like both for what they are.
I love this person's outlook. (I too play EvE for what it is)
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 11:29 AM
STO is a totally different experience to EVE and I know a lot of ex-eve players who will be migrating to STO to escape the problems that EVE has.

STO is more casual friendly from what I have seen, you don't have to work it like a second job to get anywhere like EVE, but I am sure that some people enjoy that kind of thing, but I want to fly internet space ships and not take a middle management training course to play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 12:18 PM
As much as I've been bored of EVE and liking STO...
I've been able to log onto EVE.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 12:29 PM
It seems to me most of you guys are missing the point. What he is talking about is immersion factor, and I agree with him. As I said, EVE feels like a real universe and in all honesty community. I really feel like I'm piloting a ship through the vastness of space. Its so immersive, things blueshift and redshift when you are traveling at warp speeds. The space is vast and as close to seamless as you can get. Realistically proportioned, etc.

That is not to say the game isn't a clickfest and super-risk heavy and entirely skill based (a feature I like, actually). But when it comes down to it, which feels like space more? EVE with its persistent universe and incredibly scaled systems? Or STO with its instanced singular planet systems and neon box of a warp travel? Most of the game's mechanics themselves break Star Trek trends and branding even. There is a lot I would have personally done different than Cryptic has to make the game feel like Star Trek's universe more than just a game themed on Star Trek.

Now, I will say this, however. I would rather play Star Trek Online in comparison to EVE. Mainly because of the potential of STO, regardless of how non-Trek it feels, to be a great MMO. It is ten times as fun and involves a subject matter I find more intriguing than a thousand greedy space marines/politicians all fighting for cash (EVE is the economical space version of GTA). But Star Trek doesn't feel like I'm in space, let alone in the Star Trek universe. It could have been WAY more immersive and at the most it is just under WoW in immersion factor, at least for me.