Lt. Commander
# 1 WTF Steam
01-30-2010, 06:22 AM
So I preordered from steam and I played fine yesterday. But this AM when I try to launch the game it starts updating the game and I have a feeling it's downloading the entire game all over again (1 hour and 45 minutes to go at 1.1MB/s). Anyone else getting this? Can I just uninstall steam and download the game client directly from one of the sites listed on startrekonline webpage and use even though I bought from steam and my account is attached to steam?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem170 View Post
So I preordered from steam and I played fine yesterday. But this AM when I try to launch the game it starts updating the game and I have a feeling it's downloading the entire game all over again (1 hour and 45 minutes to go at 1.1MB/s). Anyone else getting this? Can I just uninstall steam and download the game client directly from one of the sites listed on startrekonline webpage and use even though I bought from steam and my account is attached to steam?
yep it was simply updating did the same to me!
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 06:29 AM
steam has been doing this to everyone, it's been a major complaint issue. It's related to steam though and not STO in particular. You might want to turn off steam's auto-update for STO as some people have. Also someone found a remedy on this forum but I don't remember where, do a quick search.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 06:30 AM
So b/c the game released now steam thinks it needs to download everything all over again? I hate having to login to steam and then to STO and stuff anyways. I'm downloading the open beta client from BigDownload. I'll do this the direct way from now on. Steam corrupted the installation I have of STO anyways. Time to uninstall steam.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Steam messed me around too corrupting my STO folder then refusing to update or reinstall it. So I grabbed a Open Beta client install off the web and am playing fine from that updating itself, bypassing Steam.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Steam is generally very good with games but hasn't been very good with mmo's. They kinda' screwed the pooch on this one.