Lt. Commander
Sorry if this has been talked to death, please forgive but im so sick of having steam launch so i can launch the actual game, ive seen some people mention it on here but im not sure how to do that, could someone explain it briefly?? thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 11:04 AM
pretty sure it's not possible since that's the whole point of steam. glwt though,
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 11:06 AM
If you downloaded and installed the game through Steam, I don't know that you can bypass it.

I purchased my registration key through Steam, but had an existing beta install that I use to play. You should be able to download the client from FilePlanet or anywhere else and run the game normally. Just make sure you right click on your Steam installation and pick "Manage Game Account" to make sure your account key gets put in correctly. Works for me so far.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 11:05 AM
First, go tell Steam to never update Star Trek Online.
Then navigate to the install location
(steam folder/steamapps/common/star trek online)
Find the Star Trek Online Launcher
Make a shortcut to the desktop.
Use the launcher to launch the game from now on.
You'll be able to play without having to be on Steam.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Manually find the launcher in your Steam Folder, mine was in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online. It will open without having to even open Steam.

You can use this for all Steam games, unless they require Steam for multiplayer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
That's why I call it the 'Steaming' pile of ****. These draconian methods to lock down a game that you have to be online (and therefore logged in) are ridiculous. You guys that like Steam, more power to ya, but any time I've ever tried to use it, it's been problematic at best.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 11:17 AM
thanks everyone, followed your instructions and got to the game client, yeah i only downloaded steam cause thats the one that i've used the last time i bought a game online (makes it twice now) and i knew it wasnt corrupt or problematic in download and not that bad in time to download, but i dont fancy going through steam everytime to play the game..anyway, got it running now thanks for the help lads/lasses

now im going to get me some fish and chips and come back ready to marathon game...hope to see some of you in there
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I downloaded the Beta from a place that's not Steam then patched up from the Beta. It worked...