Lt. Commander
# 1 So i rolled a healer
01-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey.

I always like to heal in mmorpg's, so I started a Betazoid Sience officer to get max healing power. Started doing some ground episodes with friends and solo (not sulu). Then I noticed one major thing.. no one needs any health healing, seems like all the "healing" is done on shields by engineers.
Am I playing a worthless niche? Perhaps health healers will be needed on higher levels? ^^

Any help would be greatly apreciated =)
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Once people get into melee, they need health healing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morinon View Post
Once people get into melee, they need health healing.

Ahhh! that's why I kept dying when I started a Klingon. They kept meleeing me in the ring and I only look at my shield bar. It was full but they can still kill me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Have you tried to PVP yet ?......

I'm pretty sure you'd be usefull with your healing abilities there tho.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Betazoid is the most useless race in STO anyways. They are supposed to be some of the most prolific mind readers in the galaxy, and their empathy extends to even the most alien intelects, but in STO they just suck.

Telepathy aparently translates into the exact same bonus as having acute senses. So basicly being able to read your opponents mind is no more valuable than having a good set of eyes? That doesn't make any sense!

The Empathy bonus is the absolute worst though. First of all, who needs aggro reduction in STO? Ever? Even if that was a good bonus, what good would it do in PvP?
But the thing that really makes empathetic just horrible is that the regeneration aura doesn't even work while you're in combat. It boosts out of combat regeneration only. What a load of shat. I mean what good does that do anyone? The regeneration out of combat is extremely fast, and you get a tiny bonus to it. I suppose that the 0.05 bonus is supposed to be 5%, but come on? What does that save me? Half a second after the fight is done?

So basicly Betazoids are crap.

Telepathy is a pretty meager bonus and empathy is just absolute garbage. They get no additional Betazoid traits either, and what's worst, the biggest advantage of being a Betazoid should be that you know how your crew feels at all times, or in combat you could read their mind so they don't have to verbally communicate with you, but you get absolutely no space bonuses.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpss
Hey.

I always like to heal in mmorpg's, so I started a Betazoid Sience officer to get max healing power. Started doing some ground episodes with friends and solo (not sulu). Then I noticed one major thing.. no one needs any health healing, seems like all the "healing" is done on shields by engineers.
Am I playing a worthless niche? Perhaps health healers will be needed on higher levels? ^^

Any help would be greatly apreciated =)
Welcome to the world of "No death penalty" and instant regen.
Healers are worthless here, your BO does a much better job than you.
Science is the Debuff class, buffing is effectively worthless as well since you spawn 10 seconds later less than 30 seconds from the fight. This is in both Starship and Ground combat.

Healing is not required by players in this game, just let your Science BO do it.

I love to play healers, but Beta showed me that there is no reason for players to heal in this game, except themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Good. Screw healers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Hmm.. thank you for the info.. maybe I will reroll an engineer before it is to late =\
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpss
Hmm.. thank you for the info.. maybe I will reroll an engineer before it is to late =\
dont knock science officers just yet, you do get some handy skills to play with on the ground which used well can really make your character shine.

Cant remember the name of the kit im using offhand, comes with Gravimetric shift as standard with a bonus knockdown wave thingy, both of which are awesome for those times when you either want to root a few people (with a fair chance of an expose) or clear yourself some breathing space and blast everything nearby out of melee range.

Engineer shields and turrets are wonderful and pretty, but wiping out half a klingon squad in 1 shot with a lucky grav-shift rooting/exposing a couple of people and a quick blast from a split beam phaser/disrupter rifle to disintigrate them all.... well thats just priceless imho.

Have to admit i've not played engineers at all, but from playing tactical and science now, both in CB, OB and headstart, have to say that in most cases, one toon at your level is just as squishy as another and heals just aren't that big a deal compared to a well placed root or buff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-30-2010, 02:42 PM
When you get up into the Captain levels, your captain can take a more active healing role. Early on though, an Officer can do the same job quite well.