Lt. Commander
Ok, so I know an instance scales depending on the number of people in the team, but are there other factors like rank, ship or mission level?

I'm asking because I have a friend who may start playing in a month or so. If I join her for a mission while she is still starting out, at a higher rank with a big ship what types of opponents will we face? I don't want to make it to easy if it scales by team size, 6 frigates vs. a cruiser and a light cruiser seems stacked in our favor, but multiple battleships would likely get my friend killed a lot.

I would like to know ahead of time if I should jump back into my starter ship.. or start over so we can level up together.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Its not much of a difference but in beta I was level 12 and my friend wanted to play so I tagged along to help with the early missions, they didn't seem to scale more than usual 2 player team, I was wrecking Negh'vars while they were having the regular challenge against the smaller ships.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
From what i have seen sector based missions are level locked for npc's , i missed a sirius sector patrol mission and went in at level 12 or something and they where -10 to me

Exploration is different the npc's are at your level even if you level up while in the mission but have not seen them yet (those you can see are -1)
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Good to know. It looks like I might steamroller stuff from time to time.. but perhaps a smaller ship will still make it enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Oh, it will definitely be more fun with a smaller ship. I can't see how they won't modify that as the game gets older. It would be way too easy to help new players level up then.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 04:14 PM
its even more amusing when your friend come along, use the shuttle you buy off DS9.

Killing Battleships in a shuttle....

/facepalm