Lt. Commander
# 1 New PC assistance thread.
01-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Well. Seeing as we're likely to have some time on our hands until the game is playable again, I thought I'd take the time to ask the forums for some computer advice.

I need a new computer, mainly one for playing STO.

I've talked about my computer in previous threads I've made about the crash-to-desktop issues that ground maps have with certain versions of nVidia drivers. To put it bluntly, this computer is a dinosaur.

For those interested in it's specs: Two 2.2 Ghz Pentium Xeons (it's an old refurbished server box), a gig of ram (I'd get more but I'm told the kind it uses is well out of date) and an nVidia 6600 GT 128MB. On an AGP slot - it doesn't have PCI Express.

It runs things like STO and CO reasonably well from a performance point of view, but I don't think I need to mention that it's ugly as hell on my outdated equipment. Better than I'd expect, to be fair, but still not too great.

So - to cut to the heart of the matter.

I need a new computer, and I think I want to try to build one this time.

I don't have any specifics in my mind regarding the processor or the RAM at this point, though I think 4 GB should suffice, shouldn't it?

However, I'm fairly horrible at judging what I need graphics-wise and I don't want to spend a terribly large amount of money on the graphics card for my new system. I don't want to pay for anything I don't need, so to speak, while at the same time I want a card will have no problem running STO at a standard resolution (say, 1024x768?) with all it's settings maxed.

Thanks.

Edit: Probably not the right time for this considering it's going to keep being pushed off the page by maintenance during headstart complaints.