Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
In order of favorite to least favorite, which shows had the best crews? Which group did you enjoy watching more?

1) Star Trek Enterprise - despite what others feel, I LOVED this group of explorers. From Trip (one of the BEST characters ever written in Star Trek) to Malcolm Reed (a jittery armory officer, isn't he?), from Hoshi Sato (one of the sexiest and smartest com officers we've seen!) to Travis Mayweather (who's story I really enjoyed, from his background on a Warp 2 Freighter and everything he's learned in life), from Phlox (the BEST doctor I've had the pleasure of watching on a Star Trek show) to T'Pol (a Vulcan who can't help but be drawn into the human experience). I loved this crew and was sad to see their journey end a few years earlier then it should have.

2) The Next Generation - While I must say I liked MORE of the characters in Deep Space Nine (3rd place), I liked specific characters in TNG an awful lot, enough to bump this above DS9. I didn't care for Deanna Troy, I actually thought she was rather boring and annoying. I didn't care too much for Doctor Beverly Crusher and actually liked Doctor Pulaski more. I thought Wesley was annoying but a decent character. I was never drawn to Worf during "the early seasons" but as his character developed and they started doing more with the Klingons he was fleshed out and became more enjoyable. I REALLY liked Tasha Yar but we all know what happened there. Geordie... I couldn't quite put a finger on it but there was something I liked about the guy. I guess it was because he was a nice guy, and you know what they sometimes say about nice guys! lol But finally we reach the reason TNG is in 2nd place. Data and Riker. These two characters were awesome - Riker was one of the best "Number Ones" in any show, totally kicking sand in Chakotay's face, and Data - well, Data is one of my favorite characters in Star Trek. I had always hoped they would do another series with Data being the Captain of his own starship, instead they did a few movies and the actor complained about being too old.

3) Deep Space 9 - Lots of great characters, from Odo to Kira to Jake, there's almost too many great supporting characters to mention them all! Doctor Bashir, Miles O'Brien, even Quark (despite my dislike of the Ferengi and the Nagus in particular)! Deep Space Nine had tons and tons of great supporting characters, and this is what nabs it the #3 spot. Like I said, it would have taken #2 if not for the strong character appeal of Data, Riker and a few others in TNG.

4) The Original Series - I love all of the characters, but I never thought they were as fleshed out as they could have been. Maybe because it's the original, but to me the crew ranks average.

5) Voyager - Please don't make me go here, please. I hate almost every character in this show. One stereotype after another, from a Black Vulcan to an American Indian first officer, to an Asian Ensign, to a troublemaking caucasian, to THE WORST ALIEN EVER CREATED FOR STAR TREK (Nelix), to ANOTHER alien with a terrible, terrible wig on her head (Kes). At least we have the Doctor and B'lanna Torres who are decent, and I actually like Tom Paris. From what I've heard the show gets better after the Borg start showing up and Seven of Nine joins the crew, but I think I blocked all of that out. I'll eventually re-watch the show - but yeah. HORRIBLE crew. The two chicks I did like in the crew turned out A) dead after the ship was tossed into the Delta Quadrant and B) a Traitor who was pretending to be Bajoran. Go figure.

Ok, so your turn - how would you rank the crews of the TV shows? NOT the Captains, the crews!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
The original. Great dynamic.

I wanted very badly to love the TNG crew, but while TOS was Kirk Spock amd McCoy show, the rest of the cast got to shine in great moments. TNG was the Picard and Data show (Breifly the Picard Data and Worf show). Even the writers admit to that.

Runner up to TOS DS9. Every character but Dax was liquid awesome.

Voyager was TNG but less interesting. Gotta love Tuvok and Paris, though. That crew had a lot of potential, but they reverted to not doing anything really interesting with the characters.

I gave up on Enterprise mid season 2, so I can't comment on them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
1) DS9 - my favorite and best Trek show IMO
2) TNG - grew up on these guys
3) ST09 - sorry, they are just a shmidge better then TOS. just THAT much.
4) TOS - everyone but spock laughs at the end of every episode
5) VOY - not a big fan of the voyager, but give credit...
6) ENT - i like enterprise, especially season 3 & 4, but they just didn't do it for me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 02:22 PM
1- TNG, especially in the later seasons

2- Voyager. Nothing forges tighter bonds than adversity

3- TOS. Can't argue with he classics
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Long story short:

1: TNG - COOLANT LEAK!
2: DS9
3:Voyager
4: Enterprise
5: TOS - Only because not all of them were really fleshed out. It was pretty much always Kirk/Spock and a dash of Bones.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
best crew...

1. DS9 by far the Best, You can't beat Quark, either Dax, Odo, and you get the best of TNG, Worf, and the Chief (5)

2. Enterprise, Most hated ST of all, Coolest Crew, 3erd Hottest Female (the Dax's both beat her)(4)

3. Voyager, Tom Paris wins it...and of course 7of9...(3)

4. TOS, still a classic esp since Sulu is Gay and Spock is Jewish...(2)

5. TNG, if it wasn't for Number One waddling around like he owned the show, I would have given a better position, but then i would have taken off for Wesley,... really the only good Crew was Data, Geordi, and Worf (1)

----

now if we Included Captains the list would be very different

Captians List x2

1. James T. Kirk (10)
2. Jean-Luc Picard (8)
3. Benjamin Sisko (6)
4. Kathryn Janeway (4)
5. Jonathan Archer (2)

----

Corrected list
(crew)+(captain x 2)

capt crew
1. TOS 10 2 12
2. DS9 6 5 11
3. TNG 8 19
4. VOY 4 3 7
5. ENT 2 4 6

the ST:Cartoon doesn't count only because it is Included with TOS...How ever I will point out they replaced a couple of Bridge officers with Aliens, to include the much loved Lieutenant M'Ress Species Caitian so it gets an Honorable mention but not a full place.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
1) TNG - Pichard,Worf,Will,Data,Geodri,Beverly,Deanna
2) Voyager - 7of9,Janeway,Tom,Neelix,B'elanna,Harry,Chakotey,Tu vok,Kes
3) Enterprise - Archer,Phlox,T'pol,Malcolm,Hoshi,Trip,Mayweather
Lt. Commander
# 8 The Original Series FTW
01-31-2010, 02:35 PM
I like TOS the most. I know you don't want the best Captain but in my opinion Kirk was the best. He used intelligence, emotion, and instinct. By far one of the best Captains. The right hand man, Spock, may not have been smarter than say an android but he was my favorite First Officer due to that purely logical and yet still half human and possibly too stubborn to admit he does have some emotion even though he claims not too, attitude. Bones was a great doctor and encompassed passion and tough love. Better than any of the doctors as not only an actor but as his character. I always thought Scotty was a great engineer because he always took an unbelievable request and made it happen. He pushed the Enterprise to its extreme and then some and his accent was one of a kind. I always thought Uhura was sexy. Chekov and Sulu were great too ... my least favorite of the crew but still great.

So I rank the Star Treks as such:

1. TOS and all the movies (1-10)
2. TNG
3. Enterprise
4. DS9
5. Voyager
6. The Animated Series <-- Some of you forgot about this one!

I honestly liked ALL the series of Star Trek but if I had to rank them, this is how they'd go. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
TNG, Voyager and I hate to say it but Enterprise. Enterprise had great characters even if they were a lot different than the trend. I will put down TOS just because it is a classic though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
1. TNG - Like a lot of people, I grew up watching this crew, they were the best.
2. DS9 - These guys really grew on me after awhile.
3. TOS - There was a lot of good ol' fashioned humor with this crew.
4. VOY - This crew gets points for being in the TNG era but not much else ('cept 7 of course).
5. ENT - Sorry but I just couldnt learn to like this crew.