Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
You listened to my SUGGESTION when you gave out way too many beta keys too fast, after some of us paid for the beta keys as part of advertised features of the pre-order, and aside from voicing my dissatisfaction at your project leadership and planning, I suggested that you lower the time from 30 minutes to 15 to boot a player for inactivity. You showed you know how to listen to good ideas, that at least is a good sign from a project leadership perspective.

Here's another:

Your development leadership needs to set some key measures and quality standards immediately, and start taking them seriously (as demonstrated by action and outcomes, not words).


STANDARDS:

1. Game Server (defined as the server, the launcher, the account authenticator, and any other subsystem that by being offline would prevent players from entering and playing the game successfully) will provide immediate and automatic notice to Cryptic personnel when not operating. Standard = Level of Performance Expected = Automated notices sent to the Recovery Team during game server failure events. The Target for this Standard should be 100% of the time.

2. Game Server personnel will be on call 24/7 to ensure that when receiving automated notices of game server failure, the team is responding immediately to recover the gaming experience for customers. Standard = Level of Performance Expected = 2 Minute turnaround of Incident Communication to Recovery Team from time of receipt of automated game server failure notification. The Target for this responsiveness Standard should be 100% of the time.

And now the most important standard of them all:

3. Game Server outages should be reasonable in duration, given industry standards AND customer satisfaction - make it happen. Standard = Level of Performance Expected = Game Server outages will be recovered and players back online within ___ (15?) minutes of server outage notification. The Target for this Duration Standard should be 95% of the time, especially with the number of outages.


Your Top Priority for the technology team (and project overall) right now should be on getting your service recovery duration standards in line. A two-three hour server recovery period after a crash or maintenance is a complete failure.

The above doesn't include a Standard for Uptime overall, that's kind of a no-brainer, surely you have that (and surely are not meeting it.) That standard probably needs to be revisited, if it is anywhere close to meeting Standard given the current frequency and duration (should incorporate both in the measure) of service interruptions.

The development team leadership needs to seriously get on that server recovery issues and get the right people on the right job. They're far from satisfactory. Thank you, and hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
Your development leadership needs to set some key measures and quality standards immediately, and start taking them seriously (as demonstrated by action and outcomes, not words).
I agree in general with your points. Server downtime and notice has not been as good as it could be and improvement would be appreciated.

An observation, however ...

Cryptic has pretty methodically had a long Closed Beta that ramped up quite a bit towards the end, followed by an Open Beta that again pushed their game architecture. Now, Head Start is yet another means of ramping things up another notch before the "official" release. It seems to me that all these steps are an effort to test their infrastructure, procedures, and so on in an ever increasing manner so that once the actual release date arrives, things will run as smoothly as possible.

No MMO I have seen has a 100% smooth launch and I'll be willing to give Cryptic a wide berth. If daily issues are still happening 2-3 weeks after the official release, however, I will start feeling a bit more cranky.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstorm View Post
I agree in general with your points. Server downtime and notice has not been as good as it could be and improvement would be appreciated.
How can they tell us ahead of time that the server is gonna be down when it crashes and even THEY dont know its going down till it starts?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-31-2010, 01:57 PM
BY any reasonable QOS agreement this is a FAIL. I'm willing to give Cryptic some allowance for problems. However, they are in the buisness of running MMO's, and they should have known from the preorders and open beta what to expect. Too many players on servers cauising said servers to go down is un acceptable, and a sign of poor infrastructure, and generally poor planning, and it shouldn't happen with a company who's job is to run MMO's. Bugs happen, servers crash, but the performance so far is unacceptable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Spanner
BY any reasonable QOS agreement this is a FAIL. I'm willing to give Cryptic some allowance for problems. However, they are in the buisness of running MMO's, and they should have known from the preorders and open beta what to expect. Too many players on servers cauising said servers to go down is un acceptable, and a sign of poor infrastructure, and generally poor planning, and it shouldn't happen with a company who's job is to run MMO's. Bugs happen, servers crash, but the performance so far is unacceptable.
Pretty straightforward, can't argue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
BY any reasonable QOS agreement this is a FAIL. I'm willing to give Cryptic some allowance for problems. However, they are in the buisness of running MMO's, and they should have known from the preorders and open beta what to expect. Too many players on servers cauising said servers to go down is un acceptable, and a sign of poor infrastructure, and generally poor planning, and it shouldn't happen with a company who's job is to run MMO's. Bugs happen, servers crash, but the performance so far is unacceptable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstorm View Post
I agree in general with your points. Server downtime and notice has not been as good as it could be and improvement would be appreciated.

An observation, however ...

Cryptic has pretty methodically had a long Closed Beta that ramped up quite a bit towards the end, followed by an Open Beta that again pushed their game architecture. Now, Head Start is yet another means of ramping things up another notch before the "official" release. It seems to me that all these steps are an effort to test their infrastructure, procedures, and so on in an ever increasing manner so that once the actual release date arrives, things will run as smoothly as possible.

No MMO I have seen has a 100% smooth launch and I'll be willing to give Cryptic a wide berth. If daily issues are still happening 2-3 weeks after the official release, however, I will start feeling a bit more cranky.
You say no MMO has been 100% smooth, but this is more like 7% smooth, 93% craptastic. I have seen MMOs launches that were 90% smooth. This launch is way, way, way under-par, even for an MMO.

Compared to any other complex online system, it's absolutely a disastrous launch. They time they put in each launch phase is simply no where near enough. WoW had like 3 open beta periods over the course of 6 months, one of them specifically for stress testing. And then they took it all down after the stress test for awhile to tweak further before launch.

That's what I want to see. And ****'s launch was butter smooth compared to this. It only had queues, but no lag or trouble logging in, no buggy quests. This is a management fail.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daireishi
You say no MMO has been 100% smooth, but this is more like 7% smooth, 93% craptastic. I have seen MMOs launches that were 90% smooth. This launch is way, way, way under-par, even for an MMO.

Compared to any other complex online system, it's absolutely a disastrous launch. They time they put in each launch phase is simply no where near enough. WoW had like 3 open beta periods over the course of 6 months, one of them specifically for stress testing. And then they took it all down after the stress test for awhile to tweak further before launch.

That's what I want to see. And ****'s launch was butter smooth compared to this. It only had queued, but no lag or trouble logging in, no buggy quests. This is a management fail.
So much "fail" in this . Where do you start.


7% smooth, 93% craptastic, try the other way around.

Disastrous launch, have you ver been at the release of any other mmo? I'm guessing not, or you wouldnt have posted that.

Wow did have 3 open beta periods, ye their servers still died for almost the entire first week of launch, they still have extreme lag and crashes, WITHOUT INFORMATION, 5 years later.


In short, before you think of posting again, get your facts right. Every single MMO has its fair share of problems. If STO is still having outages in the next 2 weeks, then by all means, theyve failed, however now.... it's probaly one of the smoothest MMO launches yet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daireishi
You say no MMO has been 100% smooth, but this is more like 7% smooth, 93% craptastic. I have seen MMOs launches that were 90% smooth. This launch is way, way, way under-par, even for an MMO.

Compared to any other complex online system, it's absolutely a disastrous launch. They time they put in each launch phase is simply no where near enough. WoW had like 3 open beta periods over the course of 6 months, one of them specifically for stress testing. And then they took it all down after the stress test for awhile to tweak further before launch.

That's what I want to see. And ****'s launch was butter smooth compared to this. It only had queues, but no lag or trouble logging in, no buggy quests. This is a management fail.
Yes, very good points. No business person speaks to their own venture's performance and cites comparisons against industry "worst examples," of course.

All those among the fanboy detractors and flamers are consistent in one thing... they always compare the present to the worst of their experiences, as if to say, "this isn't a turd because its not as bad as another turd."

What great advocacy in support of this venture's performance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDestiny View Post
[color="PaleTurquoise"]You listened to my SUGGESTION when you gave out way too many beta keys too fast, after some of us paid for the beta keys as part of advertised features of the pre-order, and aside from voicing my dissatisfaction at your project leadership and planning, I suggested that you lower the time from 30 minutes to 15 to boot a player for inactivity. You showed you know how to listen to good ideas, that at least is a good sign from a project leadership perspective.
You are a funny man, you really believe they listened to your suggestion, do you? Well, maybe that, or to one of the other 1 million beta tickets that said they need to lower that time. Unfortunately, they did not listen to the rest of the suggestions, cause if they had we wouldn't have the exact same AFK leecher problem we had in Beta.

If you suggested to only decrease it to 15 mins without doing anything else, you fail hard.

The rest of the post fails hard too, btw. You think they just have no idea how to run their business, hu?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:30 AM.