Lt. Commander
i know i know, all MMOs have historically had problems at launches , umm arent ppl supposed to learn from
mistakes?
at what point will devs step up and makes things smooth?
no i dont have any ideas on how to do this as im not a dev or in the computer/server field
but i know enough that if i bought a car in 2009, i hope it wouldnt have the problems they had 10-15 years ago

just because all MMOs do this at launch doesnt make it right
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Chill, all MMOs suck at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirian
Chill, all MMOs suck at launch.
True, and all Cryptic MMOs really suck bad at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah, they need to figure something out. There is a thing called Quality of Service.

Its pretty bad when it happens so often that people just accept it. That's like some countries where they shut off the power grid at 8pm and everyone just goes with it.

Total BS.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Same here, its one thing to have a high server load but the bugs should be resolved, especially with the missions in the first levels of play. Those problems should of been resolved in beta, and the high server load should of been foreseen miles away.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Ah, it's so cute seeing people who have no idea how video games are made beating their drums...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Paynicus
Ah, it's so cute seeing people who have no idea how video games are made beating their drums...
I dont pay to understand how a game is made, I pay for the finished product. Would you enjoy eating a jelly filled Donut filled with chalk because the cook didnt test his recipe before he served it to you? Thats the point of BETA TESTING or alpha for that matter, you dont shell out an unfinished product just to meet a deadline.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfindel View Post
I dont pay to understand how a game is made, I pay for the finished product. Would you enjoy eating a jelly filled Donut filled with chalk because the cook didnt test his recipe before he served it to you? Thats the point of BETA TESTING or alpha for that matter, you dont shell out an unfinished product just to meet a deadline.
Apart from the server issues, STO is one of the more polished pre-launch (since it doesn't "launch" 'til Tuesday) MMOs I've experienced, going back to ***, WoW, SWG, **** and AO. Whatever your issues are from a "this game is broken" standpoint, I don't know what to tell you. My play, when I'm actually able to get into the game, has been flawless from a technical standpoint.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Apart from the server issues, STO is one of the more polished pre-launch (since it doesn't "launch" 'til Tuesday) MMOs I've experienced, going back to ***, WoW, SWG, **** and AO. Whatever your issues are from a "this game is broken" standpoint, I don't know what to tell you. My play, when I'm actually able to get into the game, has been flawless from a technical standpoint.
Yay someone finally quoted me ,but if we're simply going to talk about technical issues unrelated to the bugs, and the constant server "down for maintenance" messages how about this, How could anyone, any company, any Star Trek fan, not foresee the amount of people that would be logging into such a huge franchise driven game? Server overloads have been probably the largest reason given for downtimes, and as a Dev said during beta "we had to order more equipment to fulfill the needs of our player base due to the unexpected popularity of this game", again....star trek...the second largest complaint is the lack of communication giving an ETA on when those servers might be back up, understandably they dont have an exact time but thats why ETA is "ESTIMATED time of arrival". Foresight and communication could have and would still solve 99.9% of peoples issues during this launch/headstart.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Really? What does that have to do with it? It doesn't take developer knowledge to take a game disc and throw it out a window. Then what good is having developer knowledge about that game? None at all.

The thing is, in this day and age, people expect MMOs to perform just like console games from the word go and quite frankly, so do the developers. They all want the game to be picture perfect as well. It's the business of revenue and time that pushes them out with a game just a little too early, like this one.

Add this up with all of the in game bugs and bad design and UI problems and truthfully, by a wide margin you will find that this game is really in its last QA cycles. I don't develop games but I've been involved in/lead teams of software that's launched to 77,000 corporate users and in the corporate world this would be considered a decent disaster (you'd still get paid by the client though). In the console world, this would be considered a complete disaster. In the PC world, this would be considered a big disaster if it wasn't an MMO. The only excuse it has to lean on is "all MMOs go this way."

I agree with the OP. It doesn't change the fact that I mostly like the game and am willing to put up with it and keep playing. Just wish there was a workflow that would email me when the servers come back up so I don't have to babysit the generic, "it's down" page.