Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Unexpected Up Time
01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Like the topic says, Sure am glad i paid and prepordered for this game, would it be too much trouble to be able to play the game during head start?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-31-2010, 10:51 AM
The open beta and headstart are free. If you paid money, that money went to the retailer as an insurance that you're not going to cancel your pre-order. Cryptic has not received a single dollar, euro or whatever from anyone who is playing this game right now. So you did NOT pay for the game and you did NOT pay for the headstart.

Considering this I think it's a great job that Cryptic is working hard to get the server back up all the time. That means it won't happen when the game goes live. It is only after this point that we become paying customers and have any right, even if remotely, to be disgruntled.

That right does not cover flamefests, lawsuits and emo outcries.

Also, expect downtime a lot more the coming month or so.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
doesnt make it right
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
I, for one, enjoy unexpected up time!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-31-2010, 10:54 AM
i love unexpected up times
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadin View Post
The open beta and headstart are free. If you paid money, that money went to the retailer as an insurance that you're not going to cancel your pre-order. Cryptic has not received a single dollar, euro or whatever from anyone who is playing this game right now. So you did NOT pay for the game and you did NOT pay for the headstart.

Considering this I think it's a great job that Cryptic is working hard to get the server back up all the time. That means it won't happen when the game goes live. It is only after this point that we become paying customers and have any right, even if remotely, to be disgruntled.

That right does not cover flamefests, lawsuits and emo outcries.

Also, expect downtime a lot more the coming month or so.
You sir, are part of the problem. Not the solution. You either work for Cryptic. Or you are a complete waste of time. There is no reason you should be defending unfinished final product. I bet you waste a lot of money on stupid stuff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaankme View Post
You sir, are part of the problem. Not the solution. You either work for Cryptic. Or you are a complete waste of time. There is no reason you should be defending unfinished final product. I bet you waste a lot of money on stupid stuff.
You sir, are drawing conclusions based on nothing. What doesn't surprise me is the black-and-white view you apparently have. either I work for Cryptic or I'm useless. Either STO is perfect or it shouldn't be launched.

I don't know why you think I'm defending an unfinished product. I am pointing out that there are currently no paying customers in existence for STO and that people by that logic are in no position to demand or complain. Or maybe it was the fact that I recognise the hard work being done behind the screens?

"Internet anonymity is not your express card to Dickville."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadin View Post
You sir, are drawing conclusions based on nothing. What doesn't surprise me is the black-and-white view you apparently have. either I work for Cryptic or I'm useless. Either STO is perfect or it shouldn't be launched.

I don't know why you think I'm defending an unfinished product. I am pointing out that there are currently no paying customers in existence for STO and that people by that logic are in no position to demand or complain. Or maybe it was the fact that I recognise the hard work being done behind the screens?

"Internet anonymity is not your express card to Dickville."
There are two men chopping down a tree, one is using an axe and one is using a herring, both are working equally hard but the man with the axe is going to succeed. ie, hard work is not enough, you need to implement common sense as well. No about your previous post, if you honestly believe that the servers will not go down like this in three days, that the magical server fairy will fix the huge problems we are encountering than i have some suggestions for decent mental helath care professional for you, delusions CAN be cured.

Now, three weeks ago Cryptic had to rush order servers to meet the demands for open beta, that mean that not only were they unprepared for open beta, but they were WAAAY underprepared for launch. Why wait until the last minute to make sure the hardware requirments were met? Were they that short on cash?

So once again here is the suggestion of the week. Have mirrored servers... when you have to apply an emergency patch, patch server 1. 2 hours later take server 2 down, do the incremental update on server 1 bring server 1 online, total downtime, 30 minutes at the most. fix server 2, bring server 2 up to date. If game programmers were held to the same standards of application programmers the world would be a better place...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterma View Post
No about your previous post, if you honestly believe that the servers will not go down like this in three days, that the magical server fairy will fix the huge problems we are encountering than i have some suggestions for decent mental helath care professional for you, delusions CAN be cured.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I expect servers to be down in the coming months. What I don't expect is for servers to crash for the same reasons they're crashing now. Whatever's wrong, they are fixing it, so next time it happens it's going to be another problem. In the end servers will no longer crash at random as often as they do now. I am not expecting miracles, but I am expecting improvement.

As for the fact that Cryptic was about as poorly prepared as possible, I agree. And the solution you offered sounds good. I doubt they have the money for the stuff they need though... In this case I do fear the worst.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterma View Post
There are two men chopping down a tree, one is using an axe and one is using a herring, both are working equally hard but the man with the axe is going to succeed. ie, hard work is not enough, you need to implement common sense as well. No about your previous post, if you honestly believe that the servers will not go down like this in three days, that the magical server fairy will fix the huge problems we are encountering than i have some suggestions for decent mental helath care professional for you, delusions CAN be cured.

Now, three weeks ago Cryptic had to rush order servers to meet the demands for open beta, that mean that not only were they unprepared for open beta, but they were WAAAY underprepared for launch. Why wait until the last minute to make sure the hardware requirments were met? Were they that short on cash?

So once again here is the suggestion of the week. Have mirrored servers... when you have to apply an emergency patch, patch server 1. 2 hours later take server 2 down, do the incremental update on server 1 bring server 1 online, total downtime, 30 minutes at the most. fix server 2, bring server 2 up to date. If game programmers were held to the same standards of application programmers the world would be a better place...
actually mirrored is the wrong technical term. Its called clustered servers and i hope they aernt trying to do geo-clustering.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 PM.