Lt. Commander
with occasionally multiplayer battlegrounds. I like the game and the mechanic, but i miss the feeling to have to group for at least a few missions or dungeons/instances, In OB and now during the headstart, i am in a fleet for the feeling, but i get nothing out of it. I am playing a solo game, were i occassionally join a PvP multiplayer environment, which i leave after few minutes.

I miss the looking for group or doing some hard missions together with other people in that MMO. It is nice, that i can play solo, but there should always be a benefit to group with others, right now, i cannot see any. Also there is no need for it.

Do not get me wrong, iam having a good time and i like to play. I would just like to have some need for a group or a benefit at least.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Welcome to Instance Trek Online.

It's the future of MMO's, you and a whole whopping 3 other random people at a time make up the MMO experience!

This aids with continuity in the backwards universe which we are so fond of. You have to apprecciate the instancing system however, it makes this game feel like a real MMO or single player MMO if you want to be a wise guy and it eliminates the need to have to queue to join your favorite server.

Enjoy my drippings
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 01:57 AM
CO has the exact same problem, though at least the open zones are shared by up to 100 people. Only thing that does that I saw in STO was the galaxy map, which isn't even close to the same thing.

It takes a few months, but everyone will start to wonder why this is considered an MMO at all. Hint: It really isn't. It's guild wars with a monthly sub.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
... It's guild wars with a monthly sub.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. If I have to queue to play an expensive guild wars in space I think I will cancel subs pretty soon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka
with occasionally multiplayer battlegrounds. I like the game and the mechanic, but i miss the feeling to have to group for at least a few missions or dungeons/instances, In OB and now during the headstart, i am in a fleet for the feeling, but i get nothing out of it. I am playing a solo game, were i occassionally join a PvP multiplayer environment, which i leave after few minutes.

I miss the looking for group or doing some hard missions together with other people in that MMO. It is nice, that i can play solo, but there should always be a benefit to group with others, right now, i cannot see any. Also there is no need for it.

Do not get me wrong, iam having a good time and i like to play. I would just like to have some need for a group or a benefit at least.

Im with you on this. First 12 levels can be easily soloed (did they nerf the hostage ship???) - when does the NEED (!) to cooperate start?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Wait until you figure out class roles mean absolutely nothing and that the game amounts to DPS zerg!! and focusing on one target at a time. Real show of tactics, there. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 03:28 AM
I agree, it's a single player game.

However, once you accept that, there's no problem really, at least for me. I paid about the same for STO, than I pay for any other single player game. The 30 days of playtime that I get with my purchase, is most likely enough to reach level cap and see most of the content...if not even all of it, due to the generic missions.

After 30 days is up, move on.

No way I'm paying a subscription to a single player game. Cryptic clearly don't have an idea what keeps people playing MMO's. It's the social aspect, the landscape, etc etc...all of which STO is missing and thus it will miss money.

For example, I'm still paying sub to LOTRO, but I actually haven't "played" it since Christmas. I do log in, but I roam around the landscape, RP with random people, fish, explore, meet with friends, perhaps craft an item or two, join kinship meetings, smoke my pipe, play my lute etc etc. So much to do, without actually "playing the game".

Fallen Earth, other of my favourite, has a _massive_ landscape. Takes about 11 hours real time to reach from bottom of the Zone 1 to Zone 3...and there is no fast travel!

STO....kill em all!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka
It feels more like a single player game.
Not if you group up with others all the time, or spend a minute or two in open space or on a star-base...

This is no different than I saw with ***. Even EvE is highly instanced like this game. If you can invent the hardware and software needed to have an entirely open Galaxy with no instances I'm sure you can get a job to make your own game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmyth
Not if you group up with others all the time, or spend a minute or two in open space or on a star-base...

This is no different than I saw with ***. Even EvE is highly instanced like this game. If you can invent the hardware and software needed to have an entirely open Galaxy with no instances I'm sure you can get a job to make your own game.
/facepalm

Right ... because every other MMO in the world is using a one cluster server? This could be fixed, quite easily. It won't be because it's a "design" call but different servers would solve the problem. Just like in almost every other MMO in history.

BTW, if you want to mention an MMO as an example at least chose one that was successful. ***? Dear lord ...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh800 View Post
This could be fixed, quite easily. It won't be because it's a "design" call but different servers would solve the problem.
It can be fixed easily? Do enlighten us on how.