Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Commander
I was cleaning up some old boxes around the house the other day and found my old stash of Trek video games. I had crap in there for the original GameBoy, SEGA, C-64, Amiga, PS2, PC you name it.

If you had to pick just one Trek game that has been out over the years, what would it be? Star Trek Armada II? Elite Force II? Bridge Commander? Maybe you even shared in my bitter tears spending $60+ on Star Trek Legacy for XBox 360? Maybe your fave was the old Borg Nukem mod.

What did you like and why?
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
01-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Over all the years of Trek gaming, my favorite would have to be Elite Force. Ironically from my least favorite of the shows, but it had a great story, great characters and found a way to balance being a shooter with all that entails and still staying true to the shows.

Dang it, now I have to go an install it for some retro gaming goodness!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Commander
# 3
01-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Oh man - Elite Force is definately up there for me too (and I also wasn't big on Voyager). Something just felt soooo right about that hand-phaser. I can't put my finger on why or how . . . but I remember it had the 'feel?' just perfect.
Career Officer
# 4
01-06-2014, 04:18 PM
i would say my favorite? hmm, that would be the fleet operations modification of sta2. turtling like crazy as fed player with quan turrets firing 6 lines of turrets popping hundreds of AI ships. or mass cloaking rommie or klingon ships and slowing your computer down massively then decloaking on an enemy base with 6 fleets. or borg domination with a fleet of tactical cubes and hundreds of assimilated ships from the AI.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
01-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I'd have to say it would be a toss-up between Bridge Commander and Star Trek: Conquest for me. BC is fun on its own but gets even more fun when you add mods (and there are thousands of those), while Conquest is just tons of fun, even with the limitations you have. It also has some of my favourite Star Trek game music (courtesy Bethesda using the same soundtrack for all their ST games).

Old Wounds - Star Trek: Victorious (A Star Trek Online Fanfic)
"Only one human captain has ever survived combat with a Minbari Fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."
Rihannsu
# 6
01-06-2014, 04:41 PM
I loved Conquest, until I'd beaten it as all 6 races... I actually got to the point where I'd figured out how the map generated, and could draw a map of which systems ALWAYS spawned, and which systems would get added to the map for each faction. Then I got bored and went back to modding Space Empires 5(technically not a Star Trek game, although the creator was apparently a Trekkie).

For actual Star Trek games, I'd go with Birth of the Federation. I did eventually get bored of it, but it took a long time.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 7
01-06-2014, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Over all the years of Trek gaming, my favorite would have to be Elite Force. Ironically from my least favorite of the shows, but it had a great story, great characters and found a way to balance being a shooter with all that entails and still staying true to the shows.

Dang it, now I have to go an install it for some retro gaming goodness!
Elite Forces! Very nice choice.

First Person Shooter: I am with you on that choice. Elite Forces is definitely at the top of the list. I loved the Borg in that game.

Space Simulator: Starfleet Command, Starfleet Command II, and Starfleet Command III.
Captain
# 8
01-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Loved the Armada games, Elite Force games, Legacy, SFC 3...
I've actually got several games. Just don't have Bridge Commander. But I'd have to say Elite Force and Legacy are up there, along with Armada 2 and SFC 3.
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/144/0/2/sto_sig_character_by_rattler20200-d7jlk1h.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Xiao Long
At least you two have something that drives you. I've just always, gone with the flow, you know.
Commander
# 9
01-06-2014, 11:28 PM
bridge commander, ds9 dominion wars, elite force, invasion of cardassia, legacy pc. in that order.

if you've never heard of invasion of cardassia, look into it. it's a small, simple, awesome, free game. actually its a mod for a free star wars game called battle of endor.

also, ds9 dominion wars is awesome. i still play through it once every couple years.
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2014, 11:38 PM
I don't play these anymore, but I put countless hours into Elite Force 1 and Armada 1. Man, the time I spent in Elite Force's online play...until the community went to hell and it wasn't fun anymore. Dominion Wars was another until the game randomly borked itself. I haven't been able to get it to work on any computer since.

Weird thing with Armada, I once had a save on the final mission that reversed the teams so that I was playing as the bad guys. Only ever happened once. Anyone else ever get that?

Edit: And Starfleet Academy as mentioned above. How could I forget that little gem?