Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Guys, a minor thing so dont shout at me too laudly but just wanted a post on here to ask Cryptic to post times (downtime etc) in GMT as well as PST. Us timezones are a pain in the ass as there are more than one of them. Much of the world works out its time relative to GMT not PST!

Great game by the way!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-02-2010, 04:25 AM
+1 to that
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-02-2010, 04:30 AM
'cause it is hard to look up what PST is relative to UTC (no one important uses GMT any more) amirite*?

In my Google homepage I have a world clocks app with the times of all MMO's I play.

* It is -8 UTC.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
'cause it is hard to look up what PST is relative to UTC (no one important uses GMT any more) amirite*?

In my Google homepage I have a world clocks app with the times of all MMO's I play.

* It is -8 UTC.
another useful and not in any way pointless response!

No its not hard to look it up but i dont want to have to. The world clock is set relative to GMT, so everyone uses it ********
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
another useful and not in any way pointless response!

No its not hard to look it up but i dont want to have to. The world clock is set relative to GMT, so everyone uses it ********
Wow, and they say Americans are self centered.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
No its not hard to look it up but i dont want to have to. The world clock is set relative to GMT, so everyone uses it ********
No it is set to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). No one cares about Greenwich or Britain any more. Oh and they aren't the same (UTC is from atomic clock sources, GMT is from solar observation and less accurate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Nope, you are wrong.
I can only assume you don't live in the UK.

Besides, its common courtesy to quote in both local time and other appropriate and relative time zones for the sake of clarity.

Posting downtimes etc in PST and GMT (perhaps even in EST too) would make the message clearer.
And I assume you and most of the other posters do. I live in Australia (UTC +10 here on the east coast) and so converting from PST or UTC is about the same difficulty.

And my preference would be for just UTC. I have no idea why MMO companies seem to think their customers give a rats what local time is, especially given the time zone disparity in the US alone.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
No it is set to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). No one cares about Greenwich or Britain any more. Oh and they aren't the same (UTC is from atomic clock sources, GMT is from solar observation and less accurate).



And I assume you and most of the other posters do. I live in Australia (UTC +10 here on the east coast) and so converting from PST or UTC is about the same difficulty.

And my preference would be for just UTC. I have no idea why MMO companies seem to think their customers give a rats what local time is, especially given the time zone disparity in the US alone.
Common courtesy isnt exactly rife with US developers is it? Regardless of your UTC - what time reference anywhere doesnt also quote in GMT? Mostly all do. I can only assume that you are an Aussies with your blind, comical and vaguely petty hatrid of all things British - while you all whine we sit back and grin and smile benevolently
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
No it is set to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). No one cares about Greenwich or Britain any more. Oh and they aren't the same (UTC is from atomic clock sources, GMT is from solar observation and less accurate).



And I assume you and most of the other posters do. I live in Australia (UTC +10 here on the east coast) and so converting from PST or UTC is about the same difficulty.

And my preference would be for just UTC. I have no idea why MMO companies seem to think their customers give a rats what local time is, especially given the time zone disparity in the US alone.
Rather amusingly, they have actually started quoting the time relative to and specifically mentioning GMT - so I guess people still do use it ROFL. Take a look at the log in screen right now. Sweet irony.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
'cause it is hard to look up what PST is relative to UTC (no one important uses GMT any more) amirite*?
Nope, you are wrong. Google does not equal the world.
I can only assume you don't live in the UK. Europe also looks for GMT too because of their offset from it.
Had this been an MMO made by a European company (for instance Funcom) they would naturally quote in GMT and as well their own local time (CET).

Why? Because its common courtesy and professional to quote times both in respect to local time and other appropriate and relative time zones. In specific regards to STO, quoting downtime schedules in PST and GMT (perhaps even in EST too) would make the message clearer and be more helpful.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
'cause it is hard to look up what PST is relative to UTC (no one important uses GMT any more) amirite*?

In my Google homepage I have a world clocks app with the times of all MMO's I play.

* It is -8 UTC.
what kind of rubbish is that to say. Why should your time zone be only listed? Comments like that, that only fuel hatred of US players. Not helpful in anyway!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.