Lt. Commander
Last night, while playing a patrol mission with a team, my ship was taking heavy damage. Being near a starbase, I did a dive to get under the "mushroom" top, all while getting hammered by enemy weapons. When I was finally below the top, the ships stopped firing as expected, and it was a game of cat and mouse with one enemy ship that tried to skirt around the starbase and dip below it.

That whole moment was definitely a lot of fun and very cinematic to watch. Unfortunately, within a minute, enemies above the starbase starting firing again on me, and somehow their weapons were able to go through the starbase itself. I'm hoping this is just a bug. I've used asteroids and other objects as cover before, and it definitely provides for more enjoyable battles than just the typical broadsides.

Anyone else have some fun stories?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangry View Post
Last night, while playing a patrol mission with a team, my ship was taking heavy damage. Being near a starbase, I did a dive to get under the "mushroom" top, all while getting hammered by enemy weapons. When I was finally below the top, the ships stopped firing as expected, and it was a game of cat and mouse with one enemy ship that tried to skirt around the starbase and dip below it.

That whole moment was definitely a lot of fun and very cinematic to watch. Unfortunately, within a minute, enemies above the starbase starting firing again on me, and somehow their weapons were able to go through the starbase itself. I'm hoping this is just a bug. I've used asteroids and other objects as cover before, and it definitely provides for more enjoyable battles than just the typical broadsides.

Anyone else have some fun stories?
It is a bug. What's even more annoying is that while enemies can fire through objects (starbases, asteroids, etc), you cannot fire back.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufnitza View Post
It is a bug. What's even more annoying is that while enemies can fire through objects (starbases, asteroids, etc), you cannot fire back.
Well, what's odd is that I used the asteroids as cover successfully back when I did the researcher rescue mission before the hostage ship got nerfed. I actually thought at the time maybe that's what the devs had planned since the ship was so tough to beat conventionally, and sure enough, when I led the hostage ship on a chase, if I dipped behind an asteroid, he'd stop firing.

I haven't played that mission though since OB, so maybe it's a new bug?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 12:16 PM
It seems to be only when they get to within a certain distance - a ship stuck to an asteroid can usually shoot through it, but you may only have a tiny window to shoot back at him, even though 95% of his ship is perfectly visible.

This also happens in ground combat with the forcefields - sometimes an enemy can be on the wrong side of one in the Treasure Station mission, and will interrupt any attempt to disable the forcefield.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
This has happened to me several times lately, where an enemy ship has gotten 'stuck' in an asteroid and was shooting at me, but I couldn't shoot back. If you're able to put some distance between you and the enemy ship, it'll unstick itself after a few seconds and come after you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadion View Post
This has happened to me several times lately, where an enemy ship has gotten 'stuck' in an asteroid and was shooting at me, but I couldn't shoot back. If you're able to put some distance between you and the enemy ship, it'll unstick itself after a few seconds and come after you.
I get that all the time... I think it's part of the "making things challenging" AI strategy.