Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Last night, while playing a patrol mission with a team, my ship was taking heavy damage. Being near a starbase, I did a dive to get under the "mushroom" top, all while getting hammered by enemy weapons. When I was finally below the top, the ships stopped firing as expected, and it was a game of cat and mouse with one enemy ship that tried to skirt around the starbase and dip below it.

That whole moment was definitely a lot of fun and very cinematic to watch. Unfortunately, within a minute, enemies above the starbase starting firing again on me, and somehow their weapons were able to go through the starbase itself. I'm hoping this is just a bug. I've used asteroids and other objects as cover before, and it definitely provides for more enjoyable battles than just the typical broadsides.

Anyone else have some fun stories?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangry View Post
Last night, while playing a patrol mission with a team, my ship was taking heavy damage. Being near a starbase, I did a dive to get under the "mushroom" top, all while getting hammered by enemy weapons. When I was finally below the top, the ships stopped firing as expected, and it was a game of cat and mouse with one enemy ship that tried to skirt around the starbase and dip below it.

That whole moment was definitely a lot of fun and very cinematic to watch. Unfortunately, within a minute, enemies above the starbase starting firing again on me, and somehow their weapons were able to go through the starbase itself. I'm hoping this is just a bug. I've used asteroids and other objects as cover before, and it definitely provides for more enjoyable battles than just the typical broadsides.

Anyone else have some fun stories?
It is a bug. What's even more annoying is that while enemies can fire through objects (starbases, asteroids, etc), you cannot fire back.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufnitza View Post
It is a bug. What's even more annoying is that while enemies can fire through objects (starbases, asteroids, etc), you cannot fire back.
Well, what's odd is that I used the asteroids as cover successfully back when I did the researcher rescue mission before the hostage ship got nerfed. I actually thought at the time maybe that's what the devs had planned since the ship was so tough to beat conventionally, and sure enough, when I led the hostage ship on a chase, if I dipped behind an asteroid, he'd stop firing.

I haven't played that mission though since OB, so maybe it's a new bug?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-02-2010, 12:16 PM
It seems to be only when they get to within a certain distance - a ship stuck to an asteroid can usually shoot through it, but you may only have a tiny window to shoot back at him, even though 95% of his ship is perfectly visible.

This also happens in ground combat with the forcefields - sometimes an enemy can be on the wrong side of one in the Treasure Station mission, and will interrupt any attempt to disable the forcefield.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
This has happened to me several times lately, where an enemy ship has gotten 'stuck' in an asteroid and was shooting at me, but I couldn't shoot back. If you're able to put some distance between you and the enemy ship, it'll unstick itself after a few seconds and come after you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadion View Post
This has happened to me several times lately, where an enemy ship has gotten 'stuck' in an asteroid and was shooting at me, but I couldn't shoot back. If you're able to put some distance between you and the enemy ship, it'll unstick itself after a few seconds and come after you.
I get that all the time... I think it's part of the "making things challenging" AI strategy.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 AM.