Lt. Commander
After playing for awhile it becomes apparent at least to me that somehow my cool ships are gimped. It really doesn't feel emersive to me when I discovered I can not perform loops are even circle a target flying upward or downward. It appears at least to me there is a cap on my ability to move in those directions. Am I the only person to notice this or am I impaired in some way?

I suppose it's not that big a deal. When I enter combat on the ground my character becomes autistic and can not turn left or right.

I admit I have some visual disabilties so I miss some content, but this doesn't feel like one of those times. I was really hoping Cryptic would do space at least as well as SOE did in SWG and so far it seems far from as imersive and way way less entense or smooth.

Are there plans to allow ships to behave like ships in space and not like a Champions Character with Super Flight? For that matter why cann't a super hero do loops and barrel rolls? OK back on topic. I think starships in the void of space should be able to do loops and barrels and it is disappointing to see they can not. These are prime elements of combat in planes, ships in almost every other game and they need to be added here to. Imersion is very very important as games progress.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
ok guy you are really an idiot ... have you ever seen a star trek movie with the size of ships they have actuqally doing barrel rolls or pitch and yaw manuvers ??? didnt think so be realistic
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 09:31 PM
this has been brought up for months.... most every reviewer and palyer agrees... had they not whiped the forum you would have seen an enourmous thread that had stayed perpetually on the front page
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
this has been brought up for months.... most every reviewer and palyer agrees... had they not whiped the forum you would have seen an enourmous thread that had stayed perpetually on the front page
Palyer? Whiped? Enourmous? I do not think those words are what you think they are...

Not every player agrees, sorry. I would rather have the limit so my friends who have difficulty with orientation are able to play and not get lost or sick.

also, space would be hell-a boring if all NPC ships had to do was point their nose at you and go. Same goes for players. the absence of helicopter style movement and spherical rotation fosters tactical game-play.

They did not wipe the forums. They archived CB and PB posts. you can find them still, and even post on the archived threads, if you choose. The OP did not search nor were they interested in searching for the older posts.

And to the OP: Space is "real 3D", at least mine is. Things come at me from all directions and I can fly at any level of the planetary disk plain within the boundaries of zones. that seems 3D to me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Ships performing barrel rolls would be very un-StarTrek
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acizoo View Post
ok guy you are really an idiot ... have you ever seen a star trek movie with the size of ships they have actuqally doing barrel rolls or pitch and yaw manuvers ??? didnt think so be realistic
ummmm.... you obvioulsy know nothing about space. size has nothing to do with it
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
lol @ telling the someone to be realistic when he's playing a sci-fi game.
But I totally agree with the op here, if they just pasted in the combat system from ST: Bridge Commander, I'd be in nerd heaven.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdragon88
lol @ telling the someone to be realistic when he's playing a sci-fi game.
But I totally agree with the op here, if they just pasted in the combat system from ST: Bridge Commander, I'd be in nerd heaven.
*hehe* same what i was thinking Oh man...i loved Bridge Commander with KM1.0 and Galaxy Charts Regarding the Space part is was the best and as close to Trek as it could get..awww...wish it would be like this in STO
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Perhaps you should think before you speak....

A 360 degree turn "up" or "down" should be the same as doing a 360 to the left or right.

This is sometimes very annoying when you are under or over an enemy and have to go at full impulse forward at the steepest down angle and then turn and go back to be able to come in for an attack.

I consider this "small" problem a major design flaw. I don't know how the guys at Cryptic could have missed it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirogen_Alpha
Perhaps you should think before you speak....

A 360 degree turn "up" or "down" should be the same as doing a 360 to the left or right.

This is sometimes very annoying when you are under or over an enemy and have to go at full impulse forward at the steepest down angle and then turn and go back to be able to come in for an attack.

I consider this "small" problem a major design flaw. I don't know how the guys at Cryptic could have missed it.
I'm guessing they applied the code for flight in Champions to Starships. Sadly it takes a huge amount away from the game. Orientation should be irrelavent in the game. We should be able to fly belly to belly or have ships roll any direction we want to. I can roll as far as I want to left and right but not up and down? It's absolutely a major design flaw. I hope they can fix it quickly but since it's still in the game maybe they cann't or it's not a big deal to them.

As for the other idiot caller, have you every played Eve Online? It's much more accurate as a space game. You can fly truly massive ships in rolls in direction. It might take 10 minutes but you can do it and you would be amazed at how much enjoyment MMO emersion can be when it flows. I use explitives every time my character is hard to manuver in combat or I have to roll and turn because I can not just roll.