Captain
# 21
05-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
- snip -
Spoiler: Lots of explosions and the good guys win, horrible acting as to be expected in the franchise.

I think that covers everything.
If you're looking for some mindless "boom" then go see the movie, but if you're even remotely interested in Star trek they stay away as far as possible.
Captain
# 22
05-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post

Now that would be cool.
Nah they are all 8472's.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Empire Veteran
# 23
05-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweasal View Post
stop the silliness please sto was based on the star trek in the PRIME time line not that JJ crap....and for the 15 0000 th time thenjg done in a movie cannot or should not be done in GAME..going by that montra the JHAS would not be as uber as it is in this game and the galaxy class would melt faces.....dissmissed
if STO was based on the original timeline, there would only be ONE phaser type 1, and ONE phaser type 2, only ONE phaser type 1 rifle, all Starfleet weapons would have an optional setting to be wide/narrow warm/stun/heavy stun/deadly/vaporize

NOT 5+ phasers

narrow stun

wide stun

wide beam

narrow beam

dule beam

BUT ONLY ONE PHASER per "type" (type could have been the MK#)
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
05-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Pike referenced the Enterprise as the Flagship in 09.

Kirk made reference "they gave us the most advanced ship in the fleet! Of course we're getting a five year mission!" on his way to Pike's office. The two were discussing what the meeting could be about. This was before Spock told Kirk that he had been truthful in his own report of the situation.
Vice Admiral Corris Sprint (@sprint01)
Commanding Officer - 26th Fleet [RP]
Star Trek: Praetorian Official Website
Captain
# 25
05-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
you can called use say Title of rank you want to show...... rank bar you can pick not show that to
Mine is Missile Commander!
Career Officer
# 26
05-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
Spoiler: Lots of explosions and the good guys win, horrible acting as to be expected in the franchise.

I think that covers everything.
If you're looking for some mindless "boom" then go see the movie, but if you're even remotely interested in Star trek they stay away as far as possible.
You really have a prejudiced opinion about this subject, don't you?

I was saying the opposite.
Career Officer
# 27
05-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyresofbsgo View Post
if STO was based on the original timeline, there would only be ONE phaser type 1, and ONE phaser type 2, only ONE phaser type 1 rifle, all Starfleet weapons would have an optional setting to be wide/narrow warm/stun/heavy stun/deadly/vaporize

NOT 5+ phasers

narrow stun

wide stun

wide beam

narrow beam

dule beam

BUT ONLY ONE PHASER per "type" (type could have been the MK#)

Always was annoying they did that, guess they had to split up the function to boost the item drops.

IMHO, they should have basic firing phasers, Uncommon having 2 settings, Rare with 3, Very Rare with 4, and Unique with 5 or more. That way the lower rarities, you could mix up the types like we have with modifiers. Or mixing up settings with modifiers.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
05-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
It's interesting to me how Star Trek (2009) was cited as a model for STO by many fans, players, and reviewers. The action focus. The design sensibilities. Even the lens flares.

What's interesting to me was how Into Darkness managed to be non-stop action while being the anti-STO in certain respects... and simultaneously having designs that reflected STO.

The similarities can be boiled down to three points.

1. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. The aliens were often very alien. From Kirk's one night stands to Ruk serving on the bridge of the 1701. It practically seemed that the briefer a character's appearance, the more inclined the filmmakers were to make the character look inhuman or alien. Even the Klingons got their "character slider" restrictions tossed. In turn, Starfleet had so many uniforms as to render the idea of a uniform moot. The TOS short skirt mods were back but in short and long sleeved variants. Kirk wore probably 3-4 uniforms in the film. The jackets with transparent windows to show division color undershirts seemed especially STO-like.

2. Action! Rifles are everywhere!

3. Ship combat is often stationary and on a plane. Small ships turn. Big ships point and fire.

The differences can be boiled down in several points:

1. Clunky ships = bad guys. Menacing ships? Bad guys.

2. Never trust an admiral. An old Trek trope, reinforced here. Admirals are not your friends and not the heroes.

3. Orders are a suggestion.

4. You can always team with the bad guy.

5. The Prime Directive matters.

6. The Federation doesn't want to fight the Klingons. Section 31? Yes. Starfleet? No.

7. Starfleet officers always try to reason with their enemies.

7. Phasers set to stun. In an action packed movie with lots of fighting and a massive bodycount, the heroes walked out of this film responsible for none of the deaths. Hated how they killed Nero last time? They went the opposite route this time. There is precisely one death in the entire film attributable to a Starfleet officer and that's an indirect death, when Scotty opens the airlock and the Section 31 grunt proves too stupid to recognize a countdown.

The officers in this film saved their enemies every time they could. They rescued the augments. They rescued Khan. They didn't kill Marcus and locked phasers on stun. They didn't kill the Klingons (Khan did).

Try finding a mission in STO with a player-driven bodycount as low as Into Darkness.

Heck, try find as many lines about how Starfleet isn't supposed to be military, how exploration is the prime focus. How often do you see a pacifist willing to resign over moral objections?

I was even dismissive of some of this criticism three years ago but after watching Into Darkness, I'm left feeling that the Starfleet of STO isn't run by Undine and isn't making necessary sacrifices but is Section 31.

Section 31 in the film wears one of the STO uniforms. They use rifles. They want cannons on their cruisers and use dark hulls on ships with kibble-heavy designs. They want war with the Klingons. They want better gear and are involved with weapons crafting and special weapons consoles (long range drone torpedoes). The STO similarities were so pronounced that I'd practically expect a Featured Episode series in STO where it turns out Quinn, Yanishev, and T'nae are ALL Section 31, along with others.
that movie was so cool
Career Officer
# 29
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Quote:
It's funny to me because I'm pointing out a list of things the JJverse did this time that reinforced classic Trek points and there are people attacking the idea of a Federation that avoids lethal force or pursues a scientific mandate because the JJverse did it. That is, if they read the post and didn't just come out swinging at the mention of JJ Abrams.

I'd think if somebody DIDN'T like Into Darkness, they might be more upset that STO has less in common with the Prime Universe than Into Darkness does in some ways.

This isn't a total dumping on STO (or Abrams) thread for me. Both did a lot right and a few things wrong. But I think as much as STO could initially stand behind the 2009 reboot as "this is how new audiences see Star Trek and how we have to do it" at one point, Into Darkness reverses a lot of that.

It's still joke-y and action-y but the funny thing for me is that as much as it is that, the Into Darkness Kirk would be considerably more serious about a lot of things that the game has never taken seriously under the pretense of being an action game... And still wind up in a more exciting action sequence while standing against senseless violence/killing.

I feel like Into Darkness could be a very good template for STO in terms of looking at how to do action without making your heroes overly militaristic or butchers, which we sometimes feel a bit like.
I refuse to watch it based on how bad the previous film was, and nothing Paramount can do will ever redeem themselves in my eyes, for so long they were loyal to the fans and then they tossed all the fans out of an airlock. As far as STO and it not acting like Starfleet thats a given in an MMO, I accept that and do not consider this game cannon, the last real peice of cannon was Nemesis
Republic Veteran
# 30
05-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork87 View Post
I refuse to watch it based on how bad the previous film was, and nothing Paramount can do will ever redeem themselves in my eyes, for so long they were loyal to the fans and then they tossed all the fans out of an airlock. As far as STO and it not acting like Starfleet thats a given in an MMO, I accept that and do not consider this game cannon, the last real peice of cannon was Nemesis
What's this cannon people keep talking about is it a magic cannon, how big is this cannon, can it take out the moon....it must be powerful.

I'll take STID canon over Nemesis any day...oh god Nemesis is so horrible, oh god that killed trek for me, and pooped all over everything that was TNG....such a horrible horrible movie, I wish we could erase my memory and take out all references to that movie.