Captain
# 1161
05-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Don't forget that in the process of getting that +2 from the 2pc, you're going to have the console that also helps with turn:

Console - Universal - Molecular Phase Inverter: Increases Defense, Damage Resistance, Speed and Turn Rate while also disabling ship collision. Can activate Cloak while Phased.

I'm really surprised there haven't been more complaints about the "P2W" nature of the 2pc bonuses for these ships. Buy the Refit/Retrofit...and...no, not necessarily "win" - but definitely improve your odds of winning.
But pve wise, 1 click 3 minute cooldown consoles are a sacrifice of a passive console.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Career Officer
# 1162
05-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Don't forget that in the process of getting that +2 from the 2pc, you're going to have the console that also helps with turn:

Console - Universal - Molecular Phase Inverter: Increases Defense, Damage Resistance, Speed and Turn Rate while also disabling ship collision. Can activate Cloak while Phased.

I'm really surprised there haven't been more complaints about the "P2W" nature of the 2pc bonuses for these ships. Buy the Refit/Retrofit...and...no, not necessarily "win" - but definitely improve your odds of winning.
Honestly i don't see them as P2W at all. First off, the bonuses, though they are good, require two console slots, which means your going to lose out on other possibly more valuable consoles for the bonus and 2 abilities that can only be used once every 3 minutes.

Now granted, they're all good abilities, no denying that, but with the -40 power drain already the 2-piece bonus is by no means an instant win solution.

I bought the legacy pack so i'm really looking forward to testing them all out, and i hope i can manage to use them all. At this point i'm sure i can use the t'varo, dhelan and mogai sets. though it probably means sacrificing the nukara console and it's two piece bonus to 7.6% tetryon damage.

anyway, the only exception and the one that might be a P2W/i win button is the T'varo since if you use it's set, with the 2 piece honor guard your torps are going to be ungodly powerful.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Starfleet Veteran
# 1163
05-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostusthorn View Post
Well, i think the most important question in this whole discussion is:

Why did the devs felt the need to have the singularity powers in the first place?
a little story about that (just a guess but I bet 1M EC that I'm pretty close to what happend with that ...)

Someone at cryptic/pwe asked "how can we give STO another boost?"

Answer: "put in a third faction - romulans -, people are asking for that since beta."

question: "how can we make some profit out of that?"

Answer: "make a bundle with some new ships and toys for the romulans"

question: "how can we advertise these new ships?"

Answer: "somewhere is stated that romulan ships have singularity cores instead of warp cores, lets use this as an argument to give the ships some shiny abilities"

question: "won't this bring up the whole P2W discussion again?"

Answer: "we put some penalty on the ships to balance for this, and the abilites are not really powerfull anyway.

to cut it short: the reason why romulan ships will get singularty cores and their "abilities" is nothing but marketing (really bad marketing, considering how the game will be screwed up by this).

Last edited by richardgross82; 05-19-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Career Officer
# 1164
05-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Well i can say flat out, i would of still been interested in romulans and the legacy pack even if the ships were the exact same system as fed/kdf.

ACCESS DENIED
Starfleet Veteran
# 1165
05-20-2013, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neok182 View Post
Well i can say flat out, i would of still been interested in romulans and the legacy pack even if the ships were the exact same system as fed/kdf.
I agree ... actually with the singularty cores and their abilities in place I do consider not having a romulan toon at all, at least I won't buy any z-store-ship for a romulan toon.

Well there are some ways to fix this whole mess with the singularity cores and their abilities without removing them fromt he game (which would not be possible since cryptic allready sold the legacy pack with that on the feature list ...):

Add 2 modes to singularity cores:

1. Charging: Charges up singulartiy core abilities with the -40 penalty on energy levels
2. Standard: all singularity core abilities are deactivated, no penalty on energy levels

-> This would allow players to choose wether they want to use the abilities and pay the price for that or not.
Commander
# 1166
05-20-2013, 05:25 AM
heck even if they made the power drain scale as the core charges fully starting with no penalty and ending it the full penalty to keep it charged that would make since
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663
Starfleet Veteran
# 1167
05-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
But pve wise, 1 click 3 minute cooldown consoles are a sacrifice of a passive console.
So you balance that against what you gain. Isometric Charge works so freaking well in my Murderball combo, it's well worth the loss of a passive. While it might not be available EVERY time I create an opportunity for it to be useful, it's absolutely devastating when it is.
Career Officer
# 1168
05-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamipoi View Post
heck even if they made the power drain scale as the core charges fully starting with no penalty and ending it the full penalty to keep it charged that would make since
This is actually a really good idea and forces you to use the abilities (which i assume is what the devs want) rather than keep a full charge for bonus system power.

ACCESS DENIED
Captain
# 1169
05-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neok182 View Post
forces you to use the abilities (which i assume is what the devs want)
They're giving folks options.

Use one of five abilities or use the power.

They're asking folks to think about what they're doing rather than just spamming their spacebars with their pinkytoe.

Should I use X or Y, I could use A or B right now, but I could also use C - Z would be best right now, but I'm going to do ABC and then I can use X...

Kind of like the complaints about some of the Elachi things...the Warbirds aren't as casual as their Fed/KDF counterparts.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Captain
# 1170
05-20-2013, 09:13 AM
As has been said, the singularity cores with their power disadvantage may as well balance the Battlecloak, not simply the singularity abilities.

So, if they'd make it a possibility to somehow "switch" to a FED/KDF power system without singularity abilities and power disadvantages, they should disable the cloak (that btw needs all the energy of the core - that's the reason Romulans can't fire energy weapons when cloaked), or at the very least, make it a regular cloak with bad stats.

But I don't think that's happening, anyway.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!