Ensign
# 1 Disappointed returning player.
05-20-2013, 06:59 AM
I am sad to see what has become of the game in my absence of just over a year or so.

Not only have some in-game rewards been removed from STF's they were originally obtained from (borg set for instance), but they've now been stuck behind a horribly implemented reputation grind that is nothing other than a blatant time and ec sink.

Having even first tier rewards gated behind time-based "quests" is ridiculous. You can't even grind the rep in the traditional MMO manner, as the return from, for instance, turning in Omega marks in the non-time limited manner is abysmal.

Why turn STO into a grind? It's counter-productive to modern MMO development philosophy. Any MMO player survey will tell you: no-one likes grinding in an MMO. Grinding loses subs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2013, 07:01 AM
In the old system, some players would have gone *years* without completing their sets.

With the new system, completing a set is far easier and not chance-based, like the old Borg drops. Just takes time and resources, but once it's done, you're glad you did it because of all the little perks it gives you.
Rihannsu
# 3
05-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppster View Post

Why turn STO into a grind? It's counter-productive to modern MMO development philosophy. Any MMO player survey will tell you: no-one likes grinding in an MMO. Grinding loses subs.
You are correct in that no one really likes grinding (im sure some do). You are totally wrong that its not needed. It is imperative to any successful MMO and a necessary evil.

People will spend all day moaning on the forums how much they hate grind, then go off and grind it nonetheless.

You can not, in any way shape or form, release new content fast enough to keep people happy. You have to have content that is repeatable and gives people long term goals. Having nothing to aim for loses subs, as their studies have shown. the plugged the people leaving by adding more endgame and grind. its not a perfect solution but it works.

yes, having too much grind can be counter productive if it becomes unobtainable and people lose interest, but none of the grind is that crazy here. its all quite obtainable.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 4
05-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Quote:
I am sad to see what has become of the game in my absence of just over a year or so.

Not only have some in-game rewards been removed from STF's they were originally obtained from (borg set for instance), but they've now been stuck behind a horribly implemented reputation grind that is nothing other than a blatant time and ec sink.

Having even first tier rewards gated behind time-based "quests" is ridiculous. You can't even grind the rep in the traditional MMO manner, as the return from, for instance, turning in Omega marks in the non-time limited manner is abysmal.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Captain
# 5
05-20-2013, 07:18 AM
You are correct Captainnevo, however Cryptic seems to have taken the worst of the system and ignored the good additions in other games.

Let's use WoW as an example. With the latest rep system you can buy tokens with your main once they reach exaulted (tier 5) that makes the rep grinding less of a chore on your other characters. That maybe something that cryptic could look into. Even before that you could buy tokens for Wrath factions that gave a rep boost for justice points.

Given that the new Tholian rep ssytem seems to be Defera Invesion Zone 2.0 it maybe something of a necessity.
Captain
# 6
05-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:

CaptainRevo and istvaanshogaatsu are right. PWE/Cryptic can't be putting out new things everyday. That's why there is grinding, so that players have to do some (insert (possibly new) content) a couple times to get what they want. Plus the chance of getting Prototype tech was tiring because some players would do the same missions hundreds of times HOPING that they'll MAYBE get something of interest. Not all grinding is fun, but sometimes, I find Mine Trap fun (once or twice in a row, lol), or STFs fun, or etc.

If there wasn't grind, people who get bored and leave the game because PWE can't be putting out new stuff everyday. So, that is why grind exists. I hate having to do some grind (Colony Invasion, Mine Trap) , other grind I like (New Romulus, Azure Nebula, STFs). They try to make grind fun, but sometimes, the grind is not fun at all. But it's better than losing players because you didn't release X feature or Y feature in time.
Career Officer
# 7
05-20-2013, 07:21 AM
I would also point out that the reputation system brought a lot of new stuff to the table. Getting through the tiers opens up space and ground abilities that weren't there before and can't really be given in a drop like gear can. Plus, you can go after the gear you want and ignore the rest. And with all of the different places to get Romulan marks, it really forced me to explore all of the season 7 content. In my opinion, the reputation system was well implemented and felt like less of a grind than playing STF's all day to not get the gear drop I wanted.
Commander
# 8
05-20-2013, 07:26 AM
The process of the grind is not the problem. Loot Fests like diablo are all about the grind when you come down to it. Last time i checked, diablo was basically one of the god saints of gaming so yeah...

The trouble comes when devs make the grind BORING and artifically gate it.

The concept of dailys and grind simply don't go together.
Captain
# 9
05-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
You seem to be familiar with other MMOs yet you call what STO does at lvl 50 a grind without laughing so hard you can no longer type?
# 10
05-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by istvaanshogaatsu View Post
In the old system, some players would have gone *years* without completing their sets.
How do you figure? All you needed to do was complete one PVE mission and three STFs for a piece of the Borg set. That's a few hours of game play time. Not sure how that equates to "years".
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?

Last edited by valoreah; 05-20-2013 at 09:35 AM.