Captain
# 11
05-20-2013, 10:37 AM
You can make a grind better though by having dynamic missions that change based on the player. The current system involves static missions which do not change at all and some are just downright boring to the point that no-one does them except for the rewards.

I used to play Left 4 Dead and while it only had a handful of maps the game changed and would become more or less forgiving as you progressed based on how you were doing. You can't do that in this game or it would be more difficult but taking an idea from that would be good.

Though I think one thing that would make grind much better would be if all missions rewarded some of the other required marks. This way you could do missions you like and get what you need to plod through the rep system. For example you could play an stf and get 50 omega marks but you would also get 10 romulan and fleet marks. You could play azure nebula rescue and get 50 romulan marks and 10 fleet and omega marks. This way you encourage players to play all the content but you do not force them to.

Also the rep system has the 20 hour timer to make you log in every day. More people logging in daily means it looks like a bigger success and can advertise its wares and tempt you more.
Ensign
# 12
05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
You seem to be familiar with other MMOs yet you call what STO does at lvl 50 a grind without laughing so hard you can no longer type?
Compared to the market leader, STO is ridiculous.

I can hit 90 in a couple of days of playing if I have a main char to provide heirlooms and be relatively decently geared in 1-2 weeks through lfr queuing and lesser coin rolls.

I hit 50 in STO, with no help in the level grind apart from C-Store gimme your money shenanigans xp boost packs and it will take me months of daily logging in to have a decently geared ship so I can do what? Grind the same boring STF's, albeit with slightly harder difficulty. Start an alt and I have to do the same all over again, including the daft time&EC-gated rep grinds for half decent purplz.

A game with the limited subscriber/player base and limited end-game content of STO should not be only catering to the hardcore obsessive fringe players, who mostly only persist in playing because they're in love with the IP & canon.

That's a fast path to oblivion. Something that a game with limited appeal and player attention span can do without.
Career Officer
# 13
05-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
How do you figure? All you needed to do was complete one PVE mission and three STFs for a piece of the Borg set. That's a few hours of game play time. Not sure how that equates to "years".
Not if you wanted a MkXII piece of gear. You had to hope the random number generator rewarded you with an item you needed; and I know plenty of folks who (myself included) - after a year, DIDN'T have a complete set of what they actually wanted; or had numerous duplicates that they could only sell back to an NPC.

With the new rep system you can get fully geared in all the MkXII sets (and at a casual pace) in about 3 months - guaranteed.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
05-20-2013, 01:04 PM
I think I must be one of the few who actually likes the reputation system. However, I would like to see some way for faster reputation progression for multiple characters. I was one of the unlucky many who did about 1000 elite stfs and only received 1 mkxii tech drops, so I was really relieved when I found out about the reputation system and the removal of the "random chance" factor.
Career Officer
# 15
05-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I am closed beta veteran of STO, for someone who never got (or tried to get) any of the endgame gear because of the random drop factor of the preseason 7 STF's, I am looking forward in finally gearing out my VA's. With that said, I just came back from a 9 month hiatus from STO and I am just experiencing S7 while I am also on Tribble testing LoR. I am wholly impressed with what Cryptic has done with STO from a year ago. I was convinced this game was going to die, but Cryptic & PWE saved it.

OP wait until the expansion launches this week, it's phenomenal!
Ensign
# 16
05-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm keen to start a romulan character. Can't say I'm looking forward to time-gated gear rep grinds still.

Is there anything in this xpac for fed players, or just yet another rep grind for some slightly different gear? Or is it all about the romulans?
Rihannsu
# 17
05-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Not if you wanted a MkXII piece of gear. You had to hope the random number generator rewarded you with an item you needed; and I know plenty of folks who (myself included) - after a year, DIDN'T have a complete set of what they actually wanted; or had numerous duplicates that they could only sell back to an NPC.

With the new rep system you can get fully geared in all the MkXII sets (and at a casual pace) in about 3 months - guaranteed.
It took me a whole week of playing STF's to get the gear sets I wanted(At a casual pace). It was only 3 pieces of gear per set for a total of what 6 separate gears pieces. You can do a STF once every hour. And the Borg set wasn't a random drop, you could buy it, pretty quickly I might add if you did STF's. I'd rather that then spent millions in EC to unlock a series of things I STILL have to grind for to unlock individually, of which I only want maybe one or 2 things anyways.
Career Officer
# 18
05-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
The original system dropped MK XII gear? I don't recall to be honest. Or wasn't that introduced when they started Elite STFs?

Anyway, the same goes for most every other MMO. It wasn't unique to STO. I think I ran Scholomance over 300 times and never got a drop I needed to complete a set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Captain
# 19
05-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
How do you figure? All you needed to do was complete one PVE mission and three STFs for a piece of the Borg set. That's a few hours of game play time. Not sure how that equates to "years".
And that was when? Back when STFs were 1-2 hours long?

That stopped being true when they separated ground and space sections into their own, also when they added the Omega, HG and MACO sets.

Now you needed that mission and 15 Encrypted Data Chip and that would now require 15 STFs or 8 STFs on Elite Dificulty, just 4 in Double Wednesday (at least I think it was in Wednesday) BUT that just for the Borg set, the Omega, MACO and HG sets are mark and the only way to get the Mk XII was Proto Tech Drop that was not easy to get as it was random and only at Elite, I got my MACO ground and space sets that way and I certainly know what it means when they say "years" because I never completed my Omega space set because either the engines or the deflector proto tech refused to drop every time I tried and no way you would get me in IGE after I got my accolade and my Tech drop (and I got both on the same run).

The old system was cheaper, true but dont go around saying how great it was because the grind for the tech drops that were entirely luck base was more that enough, I grinded for the Mk XI MACO and Borg sets the EDC say and at the end I was burned out, only grinded for the Mk XII because season 7 was coming and that was after a break.
Former Star Trek Online Player
Survivor of Romulus
# 20
05-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes the drop system pre-season 7 had mk XI and mk XII but the only way to get those was to get a drop in elite STF's. My roommate spent 8 months trying for that one drop and never got it and doing 3 to 5 ESTF's a day pissed him off greatly. I never tried to go for any because of that and the superior attitude of the people in those missions, hell I still avoid the ESTF's because of the attitude of some of the people in them.