Empire Veteran
# 1 100-attachment mail limit
05-21-2013, 11:10 PM
EDIT: the attachment limit is intentional
https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/s...58776494321664
Cryptic's solution to our #1 use for the mailbox 'storing unbalanced doffs" is to buy more slots
Again, Cryptic you are killing fleets. A healthy fleet cannot maintain the unbalanced doff requirements without producing excess 'worthless' doffs, and players cannot afford to trash those doffs (valued at 22.5k ea. ~17k more than market; value derived from 1 fleet credit costing 75ec).
Fix the doff imbalance, today, not 'sometime in June, maybe' or remove the limit on the mailbox. Personally I prefer the doff imbalance being addressed like we asked for for months.

Update #2 A volunteer community moderator responds on the forums.

The 1st response: 100-item limit was put in place to fix server issues. Too many doffs? put them on the exchange at a lower price.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=396

Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
This wasn't a stealth nerf; this was emergency maintenance. The mail system was being broken, and that breaking was affecting other things.

And those of you who were abusing the mail system for free item storage KNEW you were doing something unintended, and thus knew eventually the free ride would come to a stop. There is an easy solution to the "problem" of having too many white doffs:

Lower your Exchange prices for them. They'll sell, prices will come down, and people won't feel the need to store them anymore because they'll be plentiful in the Exchange. Put the EC in your fleet bank, and let your officers use it to buy the doffs they need for the fleet projects. Or keep the EC yourself, and buy the doffs for your fleet.

This will work if there's a limit on storage, which there now is. Now the market needs to adjust, which will take time. It'll take less time if you help it instead of fighting it.
(this of course ignores the major reason why people stored so many doffs, because starbase requirements never match doff availability and the exchange is out of whack because of that already)

The 2nd response after others poked holes in the 1st response argument: a veiled threat
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=402

Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
I'm surprised. Some of you have been here long enough to remember what they did last time the mail system was getting into this state; they purged people's mail.

How quickly folks forget.
I frankly do not know how to respond. Cryptic cause an imbalance in the system. Players do their best to cope with it given the tools they have available. This is claimed to be causing problems (and probably is), rather than fix the root of the problem, Cryptic takes away players coping tools and tells players to deal with it.

I was considering getting the legacy pack before it went off of sale, but this display of ignorance of player gaming behavior and contempt is too sickening.

a 100-attachment limit was quietly added

please remove it. Having the limit wont make me buy bank slots or increase my doff roster. it will make me flood the exchange with useless crap (i.e. common science doffs) for several months to indefinitely

Last edited by bootyboots; 06-04-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Captain
# 2
05-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Oh you, stop exploiting the mailman already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
05-21-2013, 11:25 PM
im surprised they snuck this in now and not earlier lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Empire Veteran
# 4
05-21-2013, 11:28 PM
After playing Neverwinter and seeing they had an attachment limit, I'm not surprised this "feature" has found its way to STO.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Empire Veteran
# 5
05-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Oh you, stop exploiting the mailman already.
its a quality-of-life exploit. someone using the mailbox that way had no better solution.

mine and many that I know have mailboxes stuffed with items with no immediate use and low margins on the exchange.

that means we will either start trashing the mailboxed goods, flooding the exchange, or even less desirable exploits

the mailbox was effective long-term storage. Now horders like myself will need to dump our garbage
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
05-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Donate your unwanted doffs to a starbase project or sell them at 1ec each on the exchange to those who will
Empire Veteran
# 7
05-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Donate your unwanted doffs to a starbase project or sell them at 1ec each on the exchange to those who will

I do as much as i can, I go though hundreds a day spreading out to a dozen fleets.

I wont be able to do that any more because of the attachment limit. The exchange option would be the next best thing, until it becomes more worth while to dismiss for the 1 dilly and 25cxp

meanwhile starbase progress will suffer as I can't even bank the worthless doffs I get trying to get medical/security and will have very little long-term incentive to doff grind (as I can't bank doffs i can't use now in the hope I can use them months from now)

Right now there is no longer a viable way to longterm-store or transfer a large amount of duty officers or items
Commander
# 8
05-21-2013, 11:56 PM
100 attachement limit? I have over 1000 Kardashian Lock Boxes and 600 Dominion boxes in mail, along it several hundred DOFFs, items and stuff. Does this mean I can't access my stuff any more or what?
Empire Veteran
# 9
05-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake122svk View Post
100 attachement limit? I have over 1000 Kardashian Lock Boxes and 600 Dominion boxes in mail, along it several hundred DOFFs, items and stuff. Does this mean I can't access my stuff any more or what?

it seems to only count newly generated mail
Commander
# 10
05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Well them I'm guessing it counts stacks of items as 1... because I already stored 80+ DOFF packs, 100 lock boxes and 50+ Nanite Disruptor packs in mail since the update today...
Closed Thread