Lt. Commander
# 1 To Explore Strange New Worlds
05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
I guess I'm about half way through the "Klingon War" story arc now. After I finish this, and before I get involved with the next one, I'd like to spend some time doing the "...second star to the right and straight on 'til morning" thing. So, if I'm interested in "five year mission" type stuff, and looking to run into random weird entities, or uncontacted civilizations, which may lead to self contained stories and decisions related to the prime directive, etc. what are my best options in the game?
Republic Veteran
# 2
05-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Head off into the nebulae and vast open regions (ie. those things at the end or side of blocks, like Delta Volanis or the Zenas Expanse). You can pick up a couple daily missions to explore 3 systems & earn dilithium for it.

The missions are a real mix, some use standard races, others are purely randomized. You might get a space investigation mission, or a ground "scan X things" mission, or a "explore these caves / outpost." Oh, and of course, combat missions. It's really the closest thing to exploring strange new worlds in-game.
____
Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
05-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Unexplored nebulas
Captain
# 4
05-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Exploration in STO is fairly crappy, I'm afraid. There are bunch of randomized mini-missions in the exploration clusters, but most of those are just "kill 5/5 ships", "scan 5/5 plants", etc. For gripping stories I'd recommend Foundry missions, when they become playable again.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Ensign
# 5
05-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Hmm yeah don't bother with these unless you want a change of pace. They offer crappy rewards/SP too..
# 6
05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Speaking of which,

How is the new Klingon start up and story and quest line from 1-14,30?

better then just starting from 24?
Republic Veteran
# 7
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzyzx View Post
Speaking of which,

How is the new Klingon start up and story and quest line from 1-14,30?

better then just starting from 24?
From what i played on Tribble, it's fantastic.
____
Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
Captain
# 8
05-25-2013, 03:42 PM
STO does not offer the type of exploration you're looking for .
If interested , you can repost your OP in the Foundry discussion forum , and ask for recommendations for story themes you'd like to play , such as first contact stories .

For example , look up author Alimac30 in the Foundry .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Captain
# 9
05-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Yeah, if you're looking for old-school TOS-style adventures, I'm afraid your best bet is to pick up a copy of GURPS Prime Directive and round up some players and a GM. (Come on, you're already being a nerd by playing a Star Trek game - is a tabletop RPG that much worse for your street cred?)
-------------------------------------------

"You're as crazy as the people on Twitter!" - Samuel L. Jackson
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-26-2013, 06:11 PM
I would definitely improve my nerd cred.