Lieutenant
# 31
05-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
Oooh but you are not seeing the big picture... More Grind and more Time Sinks means that people cannot progress too fast and be done with all the content. It keeps them plugging along and logging in when they otherwise would not. That helps PWE's bottom line. It may not be so hot for us... but it is great for them. If they lose any customers they will just replace them with new customers which is even better seems how they do not have all the stuff they will need to buy yet.

Oooh so that boring rep grind I got bored of was suppost to keep me hooked instead of making me go play something else until LoR came out. /sarcasm

Back to the sorta topic path its on, but at this point it actually was faster in the old system (post-LFG and mission split up) to get a full set.

Borg Set: 1 Episode mission (console) + 15 runs = done (Total time maybe about 4.5 hours)

Heck even some of the MACO/OMEGA sets could be earned by just doing runs. You didn't actually have to rely on the drop chances for some of it. If I remember right you could get up to mark eleven with just the borg chip tokens.
Lt. Commander
# 32
05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
My problem is the price in EC. I pretty much wiped out my main character reaching level 3 in terms of her EC stash, then raided ANOTHER character just to continue. And now she's bankrupt again and not even level 4. I still have 50k+ of omega rep to get the mark XII armor (which I want for outfits) and I'm not thinking my EC levels will even last that long due to replicating and buying the items for those specific missions.

And I'm not liking the idea of trying to do the rep-grind on MANY characters, or working on more then one character to max out a rep at a time. I wanna max romulan rep for the free reman race, but I don't like the idea of spending a month + ALL the energy credits required to max it out. Or having to do the rep on one char, then repeating it on my romulan (planned) char so they have romulan themed gear.

It's an improvement over the randomness yes, but the EC costs skyrocket rather quickly and I doubt everybody can maintain that level of EC incoming to offset it.
Ensign
# 33
05-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalavier View Post
My problem is the price in EC. I pretty much wiped out my main character reaching level 3 in terms of her EC stash, then raided ANOTHER character just to continue. And now she's bankrupt again and not even level 4. I still have 50k+ of omega rep to get the mark XII armor (which I want for outfits) and I'm not thinking my EC levels will even last that long due to replicating and buying the items for those specific missions.

And I'm not liking the idea of trying to do the rep-grind on MANY characters, or working on more then one character to max out a rep at a time. I wanna max romulan rep for the free reman race, but I don't like the idea of spending a month + ALL the energy credits required to max it out. Or having to do the rep on one char, then repeating it on my romulan (planned) char so they have romulan themed gear.

It's an improvement over the randomness yes, but the EC costs skyrocket rather quickly and I doubt everybody can maintain that level of EC incoming to offset it.
I don't get how you ever run out of EC. I get so much EC just from selling any loot I get that I never run out unless I blow it all on a new Horta in the Marketplace.
Lt. Commander
# 34
05-27-2013, 09:00 AM
I quite honestly hate the reputation system....but thats just me.
Captain
# 35
05-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by torvinecho25 View Post
I quite honestly hate the reputation system....but thats just me.
i dont so much hate the rep system, as i hate the differnce the gear makes over the other gear in the game.

i merely dislike the way the rep system functions & how its implemented.
Cryptic.
Figure out and address the players path of least resistance to reward. this one thing is THE consistent factor undermining all your efforts. by that crafting, raids or starbase projects.
Lieutenant
# 36
06-26-2013, 07:21 AM
i got 2 full sets in less then a month plus all my omega weapons from the old system as for the rep grind it wouldn't be so bad if they scaled the xp according to the tier your on rather then adding cost in ec and marks but keeping the rep xp the same 800 and 2k should skale to 1800 and 4k at teir 3 for rep xp
Captain
# 37
06-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Just chiming in that I've found the grind gear overrated for most, if not all, content currently in the game, up to and including PvP.

With the introduction of the rep tracks I pretty much decided my new characters (but 1) didn't need that stuff. They are still pretty viable, and even get more freedom in choosing the exact mods they get to the equipment. The biggest advantage I found was the mk xii Positron arrays with a combination of [SIF], [STL] and/or [SHDS].

Got the full mk xii sets on 2-3 characters - the ones I had pre-S7 - so I can still compare, but I really can't be bothered going through these bureaucrat gameplay-style* rep tracks for such a minor boost

I will also echo that, pre-S7, it was a piece of cake to get the Mk XI sets before, and that I too got the Mk XII sets in a couple of weeks per character, but will also concede that the STF dil output has increased since.

*I guess that's admiralty for you: administrative duty and paperpushing...
Captain
# 38
06-26-2013, 07:57 AM
The only thing with the rep system is the dilithium cost and the time gate.

But the old system had a retarded chance drop was,is, and will be bad.

So yes, the rep system could be better, but its still less of a pain then the old one was.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Commander
# 39
06-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by istvaanshogaatsu View Post
In the old system, some players would have gone *years* without completing their sets.

With the new system, completing a set is far easier and not chance-based, like the old Borg drops. Just takes time and resources, but once it's done, you're glad you did it because of all the little perks it gives you.
I do remember players grinding for the Nth time for the last piece of gear while sometimes newcomers seemed to pick up gear left and right.

I do not like the costs of the rep. system or abandoning the social zone for a personal rep. tab. However the system is much fairer now. The drops were exciting but I saw too many skilled people go without a well-earned reward for a long time.
Joined STO in September 2010.
Ensign
# 40
06-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorstella View Post
I would also point out that the reputation system brought a lot of new stuff to the table. Getting through the tiers opens up space and ground abilities that weren't there before and can't really be given in a drop like gear can. Plus, you can go after the gear you want and ignore the rest. And with all of the different places to get Romulan marks, it really forced me to explore all of the season 7 content. In my opinion, the reputation system was well implemented and felt like less of a grind than playing STF's all day to not get the gear drop I wanted.
guess why I left ...
I left STO 1st time back 6+ months ago, around the time Nukara was introduced

my reason was the back whole the fleet holdings are, it's a dilithium sink
my fleet, after all this time, still hasn't reached max tier with the starbase, we are very close but still .. 6 months and I still can't get a fleet Armitage

when LOR got released I decided to get back to STO and give it a try, only to find out that all borg stuff went away to another black whole .. in form of "reputation"
yes it took time, even weeks, to get a full set .. but it was the trill of the hunt, you did STFs because you wanted to
now it's a 2nd job, you do STFs because you have to; also, it's rather useless to do ground STFs anymore - they just wiped the floor with 1/2 of the end-game content and for what

now they introduced the dilithium mine, that is a blatant ponzi scam
dilithium mine that requires dilithium in it's projects?!!? what the hell .. is it a mine or a black hole
also, if you do the math, the so called "discounts" aren't there because of the millions of dilithium the projects require to complete
the only reasons to even do the dilithium mine tiers are the consoles and the cores

Defera - I see no reason do to it anymore
Nukara - same
New Romulus - I did it once for the novelty of it and I do the story missions that get unlocked with every tier but that's it

the reputation system made a lot of content absolutely useless
I just sit with the game in window and watch the eSTF channels so I can farm dilithium - because that's the state the game was reduced to
from time to time a do a fleet alert, a crystalline catastrophe or a mine trap for the marks

the joke's on you Cryptic

Last edited by zmihaie80; 06-26-2013 at 06:52 PM.