Republic Veteran
# 81
05-22-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't think the rep should be completely account-wide. I do like how Blizzard has been doing the new reputations: once you get to Exalted (Tier5 in STO), you can buy an item that applies bonus reputation for that faction to all your characters.
____
Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
Career Officer
# 82
05-27-2013, 05:05 PM
I have over 30 characters. Grinding rep on all of them is not humanly possible :| Its like the fun parts of the game that Cryptic is known for (awesome character visual customization and casual gameplay) are at war with the parts of the game that are in place in order to gate customers and keep them until the next bit of content comes along (rep grind). In the end it has the adverse effect.
Survivor of Romulus
# 83
05-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarronxld View Post
I have over 30 characters. Grinding rep on all of them is not humanly possible :| Its like the fun parts of the game that Cryptic is known for (awesome character visual customization and casual gameplay) are at war with the parts of the game that are in place in order to gate customers and keep them until the next bit of content comes along (rep grind). In the end it has the adverse effect.
I got bored after 3 lol... no way I could do 30.
Career Officer
# 84
05-27-2013, 10:28 PM
That's fair. The game honestly doesn't change that much to warrant 30 characters. I just like creating new characters, ships, and bridge crews and end up wanting to continue playing them after 50.. thus why the Rep system is an issue. I wouldn't mind using subpar equipment as long as I got the same visuals that the best stuff provided, but the Rep abilities are really powerful.. and the former is not the case.
Career Officer
# 85
05-28-2013, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
I got bored after 3 lol... no way I could do 30.
To each their own, but to me, I'm have 14 characters, but 9 of them are those I play while the others are mules. But since 3 of them are Romulans, I'm holding off on the Reputation. But grinding the 6 is brutal, given that I now have to run 3 Tholian events to earn enough marks for a single character. And this was during the Mark Event.

Then repeat that 6 times, well you could imagine my head hitting my desk multiple times at this unfun grind.

Cryptic sure loves to torture us with bad content.
Lt. Commander
# 86
05-28-2013, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlirio View Post
I agree. I should not have to repeat that horrible grind... i have 7 chars, one has tier V rep on both reputation systems, the rest don't and I don't think they will, ever.

Now with the new expansion we get another reputation system... this is getting more and more boring and not fun. Three reputation systems to grind for each character? Sorry, it is not going to happen, i won't do that, no way. I'll quit the game before doing that.

Cryptic, get this: The more characters I have, the more money I will spend on zen, buying toys for all of them. Now, with the reputation as it is... toys for one, maybe two... so no ships, costumes, boffs, keys, or anything from the Z-Store for the rest of characters, nice move!.

And the new expansion... I might create one romulan character... not going to create more, and not going to spend my money on that faction because i only have one character. Same with klingons... I have one char and no intention of creating another one or spend any money on that faction... because of the rep system. I have not played my klingon char almost since the rep system came alive. You could have saved much work on the new expansion... many people won't even give it a chance if this rep system stays at it is... they will quit the game as i probably will.

I'm not even going to comment on epooh tagging. Cryptic, you should be ashamed of what you are doing to Trek... admirals running behind bunnies and making it by far the best way to obtain romulan marks, that's just amazing! Guess what, never done it, never will... new Romulus is not in the star chart for me... keep boring me, i'll keep holding my money in my hands and not buying any zen until i'm bored enough to quit the game.
This, this, this!

In Season 6 I played all my 12 toons about equally, now most of them just farm Dilithium, which I use for the three I have "repped up". I now do more farming than playing most days.

I suppose the only good point is I can get every new ship, weapon and toy without ever spending any real money.
"He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him. For every doff box bought, I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames. For every single doff box opened, I stab at thee from hell's heart. For every single doff contributed, I spit my last breath at thee..." Khan Playing STO
Career Officer
# 87
05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Has Cryptic said anything on this subject at all recently? Surely they must be doing something to lessen the burden, if not the OP's request.
Empire Veteran
# 88
05-29-2013, 02:41 AM
I have 12 chars at the moment. Only 2 have max romulan/borg rep so far. In the beginning I tried to lvl more of them but it just got too boring. Most are stuck somewhere on the way. Only the borg rep has an easy and enjoyable way to get marks and buying all the stuff you need for a rep project is just annoying.
You can't even stack the regenerators and such higher than 20 so if you buy lots of them it just needs too much space.

In the end before the rep system I really enjoyed having multiple chars to pick from. I got all of them nice ships and equipment over time, I did STFs with all of them to get the set pieces. Now? Why bother playing them.

In the end they are hurting themselves with char bound reputation. If you play 10 chars you are more likely to buy multiple star ships. If they force people to concentrate on one character it is a bad idea in my opinion.

They should make reputation account bound (maybe faction bound). Or at least some sort of discount. You could give each new character special projects if you have a max rep char on your account.
Ensign
# 89
05-29-2013, 06:03 AM
An account rep unlock is a good idea. I am not a big fan of the rep system, and in my view all the rep system grind could have been avoided with a store where items were correctly priced. Before the rep system went live i managed to kit up 2 of my 7 toons easily. Now i stopped working on the rep on all my toons. I answered myself a question: do I want to have fun or to get bored grinding.
Anyway an account rep unlock would make me start working on my characters, and all the posters above had good suggestions that could balance the game between hard core gamers and casual ones that want to have fun testing all the game has to offer.
Ensign
# 90
05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
got 6 toons and right now im trying to level them up.
sure i recived 1000 omega marks when the rep system was introduced. but still.
Having to grind it on all chars is just a pain and not fun at all, it's turned into a chore.

I rather see it become by account or by all chars under a faction. aka. kdf/fed.