Survivor of Romulus
# 81
05-28-2013, 09:04 AM
What you describe would be permissible, rossi.

From the EULA frequently asked question thread:

Quote:
1. Can we use the names of ships from any show/ movie? For example, show a Defiant class vessel called U.S.S. Defiant, or a Galaxy class ship named U.S.S. Enterprise? Not talking about showing anyone from the crew, just the ship itself.

Nothing in the EULA prevents this. Please refer to the EULA for a list of Star Trek Properties
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lieutenant
# 82
05-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
What you describe would be permissible, rossi.

From the EULA frequently asked question thread:
That's great! Thanks!

Now I just have to learn how to use the foundry well and how to make a good story.

.......Huh....

Worth a shot at least!
Survivor of Romulus
# 83
05-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi320 View Post
Now I just have to learn how to use the foundry well and how to make a good story.
That's what it's all about

If you like, the community has made a lot tutorial videos over the years. They're collected here http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noo...torials-guide/

Hope that helps, and don't be afraid to ask questions!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Commander
# 84
08-29-2013, 06:15 AM
This from the Foundry terms and conditions:

Quote:
You may not use New Game Materials to endorse or oppose any political party, association (e.g., Republican, Democrat, candidates, or otherwise) or any side of any issue.
That's pretty broad. I'm not sure what the rules have in mind here. Are the devs just trying to avoid people making blatant party-political content, or is it any broader than that - how topical can a Foundry mission be, before it runs into the political-content ban?

I've no intention of naming names of real people or groups. If there are rather clear parallels with real events, but it's aliens, is that OK? (i.e. would the TOS episode "Errand of Mercy" have passed the Foundry criteria?) Is saying "inspired by recent events" allowable, and if not, does it matter that sharp-eyed players might be able to work out that it was?

The possibilities I had in mind were:
1) If Klingon House A (who would fit? I can't keep track of the Houses) is revealed to have cut a deal with a Romulan Republic agency, allowing them to spy on Romulan civilian transmissions in return for the Romulan agency being allowed to spy on Klingon House B (and share the results with House A on the quiet), would that result in stern action by the Dev Continuum?

2) If I write a humanitarian/diplomatic mission following on from the "Wasteland" episodes, set in the surely precarious situation just after the taking of Nimbus III, am I allowed just as a little in-joke to call it "Mission Accomplished"?
Captain
# 85
08-29-2013, 06:18 AM
^I'm no expert, but I'd look at the words "endorse or oppose". If you can manage to write it in a neutral manner it sounds like it could work.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Commander
# 86
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Though you realise how many Star Trek episodes would not pass Cryptic's EULA? That covers just about everything, which makes me think they're just covering their arses. They'll probably only act on something that is blatantly party political. But really, what is so bad about that? If someone wants to make a foundry mission about how great Obama is or argues in favour of Californian High Speed rail, let them. It would be an odd thing to do and probably won't get many plays but does it hurt anyone?

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Captain
# 87
08-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I think they just don't want us writing Foundry missions as author tracts.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Rihannsu
# 88
08-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah, this sort of thing was brought up before on the concept of drug addiction. Several Star Trek eps have dealt with that topic, but NONE has ever dealt with it while talking about REAL drugs. They always make up fake drugs like Felicium, etc....

A similar situation exists with political ideologies. As long as you don't NAME current real political parties it's apparently fne.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 89
08-30-2013, 10:59 AM
StarswordC - I can't write it in a neutral tone - it's meant to be a KDF mission. OK though, I probably can, if I find a way to balance the inevitable ranting from the player's captain with not-unequivocally-enemy NPCs ranting in the opposite direction. After all, plenty of villains think they have a good reason for what they're doing. Would be interesting to try, anyway. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

As for Felicium... that's another awkward bit in the EULA. They seem to have taken a lot of trouble making clear that certain things are NOT allowed, which of course is the important thing to them, and forgotten to spell out what IS allowed! What it actually says is
Quote:
"You may not[...] reference any drugs (legal or illicit) or medication."
Maybe they were actually trying to say, no real-life drugs or medication, rather than made-up ones? Otherwise a lot of missions, including their own, would be in difficulties. Heck, they're the ones who introduced the DOff missions trading in Ferasan funny tobacco.
Starfleet Veteran
# 90
08-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Really the only time you run into problems is when you attemt to mirror something from the real-world too closely. STO is 400 years removed from us, what lingers is human nature and that is what Star Trek looks at.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 08-30-2013 at 11:59 AM.