Lieutenant
Sorry to start a new thread on this...but I'd like to get a new perspective on this. I am a Tactical VA who is trying to build a Recon (Tac) Vesta. I currently use a Tac Odyssey "beam boat" and just really keep getting drawn to my Vesta (it is just a sleek ship). My questions are:
1) What weapons type would you all recommend (DHC, Beam Array, Torpedo type, etc...).
2) What energy type (I have access to Romulan Rep T5 and Omega T5, my fleet is on T2 SY).
3) Really could use some Doff recommendations.
I will hit STO Academy and work on my idea of a build and post it later, but really wanted to get this out for comments before I headed out on errands. Thanks in advance all.
Career Officer
# 2
05-29-2013, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasier13 View Post
Sorry to start a new thread on this...but I'd like to get a new perspective on this. I am a Tactical VA who is trying to build a Recon (Tac) Vesta. I currently use a Tac Odyssey "beam boat" and just really keep getting drawn to my Vesta (it is just a sleek ship). My questions are:
1) What weapons type would you all recommend (DHC, Beam Array, Torpedo type, etc...).
2) What energy type (I have access to Romulan Rep T5 and Omega T5, my fleet is on T2 SY).
3) Really could use some Doff recommendations.
I will hit STO Academy and work on my idea of a build and post it later, but really wanted to get this out for comments before I headed out on errands. Thanks in advance all.
If you are using the Vesta set consoles, it might be best to go with the Aux cannons that come with it. Run full aux, use phaser relays to improve their DPS, IF you have one use an overcharged warp core to increase overall Aux (mine now runs at 130), and the Quantum focused phaser benefits from the relay consoles.

Saying that, many will (correctly) argue that that Rom set is a better option, and it does seem as if it's made pretty much anything else almost obsolete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Lieutenant
# 3
05-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Guess I should clarify, I only have the single Vessta (so no other consoles). Also, my plan is to only PvE (never enjoyed PvP in any MMO I have played). Thanks again
Career Officer
# 4
05-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Go 6 romulsn plasma beam arrays (acc)x2
1 of these the experimental one or 5 + KCB

I'd use 2-set assimilated set and maco shield (as always)

Condoles
4 plasms infuser
3-4 embassy consoles with (pla)
Assimilated module, zero point, tachyo if you have it

Skillwise maybe aux2bat or just "normal"
Career Officer
# 5
05-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Guess I should clarify, I only have the single Vessta (so no other consoles). Also, my plan is to only PvE (never enjoyed PvP in any MMO I have played). Thanks again
Well, point remains with regards to using the cannons and the Quantum Focus phaser - they'll still benefit from the increased Aux that is possible from equipping Overcharged warp cores, but even if you don't use the Overcharged warp core, they still do VERY nice DPS for what is essentially a sci ship with tactical leanings.

I have my Vesta running at 130 Aux, with the cannons fitted - best DPS I've ever done in a sci ship, and the bonus it offers to the Quantum focus Phaser is very nice too - use that on an unshielded ship and boy are they going to know about it!
Quote:
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.

Last edited by reyan01; 05-29-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Lieutenant
# 6
05-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Well, point remains with regards to using the cannons and the Quantum Focus phaser - they'll still benefit from the increased Aux that is possible from equipping Overcharged warp cores, but even if you don't use the Overcharged warp core, they still do VERY nice DPS for what is essentially a sci ship with tactical leanings.

I have my Vesta running at 130 Aux, with the cannons fitted - best DPS I've ever done in a sci ship, and the bonus it offers to the Quantum focus Phaser is very nice too - use that on an unshielded ship and boy are they going to know about it!
So, you think using the AuxDHC x 3 upfront with the KCB and maybe Fleet Phaser Turrets x 2 in back would be good? What would you recommend power levels at?

This is what I have worked up so far:
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...=tacvestawip_0

Any recommendations? Also, any Warp Core thoughts?

I assumewith this build the use of Sub-System Targeting isn't used (no beamarray...unless you count the Quantum Beam)?

Thanks again for help.
Career Officer
# 7
05-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
So, you think using the AuxDHC x 3 upfront with the KCB and maybe Fleet Phaser Turrets x 2 in back would be good? What would you recommend power levels at?

I assumewith this build the use of Sub-System Targeting isn't used (no beamarray...unless you count the Quantum Beam)?

Thanks again for help.
To be honest, I run my Vesta at 130 Aux, courtesy of a Overcharged Warp Engine, two Aux cannons up front with a Transphasic torpedo launcher. Aft I have an Elite phaser beam array so that I can still use sub-system targetting, an Elite Fleet Phaser turret and the transphasic cluster torpedo.
Quote:
Lieutenant
# 8
05-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
To be honest, I run my Vesta at 130 Aux, courtesy of a Overcharged Warp Engine, two Aux cannons up front with a Transphasic torpedo launcher. Aft I have an Elite phaser beam array so that I can still use sub-system targetting, an Elite Fleet Phaser turret and the transphasic cluster torpedo.
Okay, may try that set up. Just ran Elite Infected and it is a huge change from doing it on my Odyssey Beam Boat. Not sure how much damage I was doing (wish they had a simple "recount" type program/add-on I could use). Got nuked twice though. Think I'll keep tinkering with it and see if I can get used to it.
Captain
# 9
05-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Quote:

Thanks again for help.
the quantum beam is pretty useless, even with full aux and phaser consoles. so is sub system targeting.

run your powers 130 in aux, 15-15 in engie and shields, and the rest should go to weapons (I have 100+ in weapons this way too).
whether the aux cannon setup could work, is questionable, but it is cheap, as you dont have to buy front weaps, and it is uniqe.

for warpcore get an overcharged a->w

changed skillplan

I added changes to your skillset. you dont need viral matrix (nor grav well, but I wont take it out. you gonna want to cycle EPTW. RSP is a must, and you dont want to divert power with an aux2x boff skill. changed CSV to CRF, there isnt much point in CC, with EP2E, buffing the borg, and you dont want attention.

moved up your tachio converter to eng, do not waste tac slots on universal consoles, added leech (it is a must). changed one other field gen, for a romulan threat scalign console (I suggest + threat, but its your choice)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
Lieutenant
# 10
05-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdzso0 View Post
the quantum beam is pretty useless, even with full aux and phaser consoles. so is sub system targeting.

run your powers 130 in aux, 15-15 in engie and shields, and the rest should go to weapons (I have 100+ in weapons this way too).
whether the aux cannon setup could work, is questionable, but it is cheap, as you dont have to buy front weaps, and it is uniqe.

for warpcore get an overcharged a->w

changed skillplan

I added changes to your skillset. you dont need viral matrix (nor grav well, but I wont take it out. you gonna want to cycle EPTW. RSP is a must, and you dont want to divert power with an aux2x boff skill. changed CSV to CRF, there isnt much point in CC, with EP2E, buffing the borg, and you dont want attention.

moved up your tachio converter to eng, do not waste tac slots on universal consoles, added leech (it is a must). changed one other field gen, for a romulan threat scalign console (I suggest + threat, but its your choice)
Thanks. I will try this and see how it does. I think some of my problem is I have been running a Fleet Anti-Proton Odyssey for so long that having to "move around alot" it hard to get used to. Normally I would fly in...hit TT1 and commence to shredding shield and hull with BFAW. It wasn't glamorous, but things died...really fast.