Captain
# 11
05-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Seems like the easiest thing is just a hotkey for toggle FPS... but no they found an easier way that costs even less money, remove the feature
Commander
# 12
05-28-2013, 09:13 PM
The feature was working perfectly already. In fact, the non-shoulder-cam view worked even better than the shoulder-cam view, as the non-shoulder-cam view would also let you use your scrollwheel to go in and out of first-person view, for say, sudden hand-to-hand combat.

The _ONLY_ thing that was broken, and the _ONLY_ thing that they had to fix, was the option setting that never stayed where we set it, and stuff like that, is _TRIVIAL_ to do. You could take the absolute worst coder they have on their team, and he can get it fixed within hours, if not minutes.

That was it! That's _ALL_ they had to do. BUT NO!

For SOME totally asinine reason that I can't even begin to fathom, THIS was their SOLUTION!!?!

Seriously... WHAT THE ****!!?

Do they have any idea, just how bad this makes them look?

-- Smoov
Captain
# 13
05-28-2013, 10:02 PM
AO a game that is well over a decade old has both FPS and Behind the head third view. you can toggle them or you can scroll in and out as need be. First person in that game is not even a required feature for combat since combat in that game is auto target and stand in one spot and mash the fire button. But there is the option to do FPS if the player prefers it. STO removing a working feature made the game controls bad, and bad controls make a bad game. It creates a new difficulty that is NOT and I repeat NOT a good difficulty like getting 1 shot killed by a boss special attack or enemy hitpoints are high so it makes it hard. No bad control difficulty just makes the game frustrating to move around in and kills any enjoyment.

Third person over the shoulder has 1 single purpose for third person games. it allows the player to see something to be able to select it such as a counter full of items that can be picked up verses the NPC you want to talk to. It makes it simpler to select the NPC rather than everything else by allowing you to see exactly what you are targeting. and combat is pure auto aim hit the skill buttons with a mouse without needing to move unless something big is in the way.

STO combat is not that. You need to be able to move quickly and precisely quite often unless you enjoy getting knocked down by grenades, stand in the middle of plasma, or get the lame flanking damage. This is not and stand and fire at whatever the auto aim chooses. Thus directly behind cam is preferable becauyse it is much easier to maneuvar in third when the character is centered, and far far better to do so in FPS mode. thats with auto aim turned on!

Now If like me you play FPS games and do not enjoy auto aim then you shut it off altogether, use hotkeys for skills and manualy aim in FPS view. STO had reasonable ground doing that, not the best but not really the worst. Only hassle was taking the time to redo the option every time you loaded a new zone. It was fun, it was doable, It was far and away preferable to over the shoulder can no longer correctly aim garbage forced upon us.

Simply fixing the option so it remains or leave it as it was was the only choice. Instead they created a really bad one and just removed the feature. And it was the only choice because removing a working feature should never be a choice ever.

For the record, the forced upon camera has gotten me killed an everage of 10 times per day because my character gets stuck on something when I am trying to get to cover. When i played "Cutting the Cord" 3 days ago i died 15 times trying to play with over the shoulder. Stairs that require ease of control, and the debris at the end. both sections i kept getting stuck on something and couldnt move unless i went 1 way and that meant i was not paying attention to what I was fighting. Did the same mission the first time in FPS and died 2 times and one of them was my own fault for charging into a crowd of tal shiar. 1 death in FPS mode manual targeting by enemy fire, or 15 in over the shoulder auto aim and manual just made the mission not worth the time and effort.
Ensign
# 14
05-29-2013, 11:24 AM
......have you tried hitting the "B" key....
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robow87 View Post
B key is not the same thing as what we are talking about. That is "AIM" mode. It's not the same at all and it doesn't work in ships.
Ensign
# 16
05-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaerick View Post
B key is not the same thing as what we are talking about. That is "AIM" mode. It's not the same at all and it doesn't work in ships.
Actually "B" key is, by default, "Shooter" Mode. The "X" Key (or "middle click") is, by default, "Aim" mode.

~ Zing
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zing1617 View Post
Actually "B" key is, by default, "Shooter" Mode. The "X" Key (or "middle click") is, by default, "Aim" mode.

~ Zing
Neither is the key on my setup so forgive me for forgetting the default config. I have it programmed to my g13.
Captain
# 18
05-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robow87 View Post
B does not bring up FPS view, nor does it center the character on the screen. Yes I use B in combat, the offset is what gets me killed when my character is constantly running into things and getting stuck, third person POV makes it harder to aim.

Try playing a FPS in an offset third person where it is all manual aim and see how many times you die and how very few kills you get compared to everyone using FPS view. K/D ration would be the opposite of what the lead player gets very easily.

*Edit,

Also third person doesnt help a whole lot in confined areas where the camera is moving all over the place or vibrating like crazy because it cant go anywhere. That gets me killed too.

Last edited by jetwtf; 05-29-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Commander
# 19
05-30-2013, 10:01 PM
@jetwtf

Sounds like they have absolutely no idea what it is we're actually even talking about.

-- Smoov
Captain
# 20
05-31-2013, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovious View Post
@jetwtf

Sounds like they have absolutely no idea what it is we're actually even talking about.

-- Smoov
I think some do not and are console players who are quite used to 3rd person over the shoulder view thats becoming mainstream and a real FPS shooters using mouse and keyboard or heaven forbid good old fashioned behind the head 3rd POV seems alien to them like the over the shoulder controls are to me. Yes I can deal with behind the head because i do not have to worry about my characters position in relation to my camera. I just point my characters head at the target as a big crosshair i cannot see through. Not ideal but good enough.

Truly the best games have the best controls suited to them and this game dropped the best and second best for its setup and just went to bad as default. yeah if you are used to bad control setups then you can do good, but get good control and you can excell. Clearly many think they excell.But then again I have played FPS games for near 20 years and vidoe games for 30+ made plenty of content for quite a few games and can cleary see many errors in STO but.. i dont know what i am talking about i suppose. How about you Smoov?
Closed Thread