Captain
# 21
05-31-2013, 03:18 AM
Not going to edit because that always gets messed up so another post and not a bump.

If Cryptic and PW want the best RPG for ground? Go with the best to emulate, and NO thats not WOW but Eldar Scrolls and Fallout. The best moneymaker for a new title is an Eldar Scrolls game In RPG land. Yeah it is single player by default but now there is an MMO version. forget WOW forget anything from a console and emulate what Bethesda has done for controls but please please please keep the STO HUD. Bethesda cannot do a HUD thats good lol. tolerable but bad for mouse work. Each Eldar Scroll RPG is a First person Roll Playing Game and the combination just works! combat is FPS if you use arrows, do melee and switch to 3rd person if you feel more comfortable seeing your suroundings. All combat is millions of times better than what was done to STO even if it is repetitive, and STO has way more repeating BS just because of its smaller scale.

As for the space side.. meh i am happy with it but first person view would be good for those that prefer it. I prefer seeing what my ship is doing and play better in third while flying or driving.
Ensign
# 22
05-31-2013, 04:31 AM
There was a 1st person mode? Useless in mmo anyway.

Please do complain about any of the plethora of bugs that actually hurt gameplay, not this.
Career Officer
# 23
05-31-2013, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovious View Post
@jetwtf

Sounds like they have absolutely no idea what it is we're actually even talking about.

-- Smoov
I'll willing to bet this is the case more than anything. They thought they were removing a shoulder cam mode because it was no longer needed, but since the devs don't play the game (despite insisting they do) they really had no clue that was how to get first person view (and take nice screen shots)
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Captain
# 24
05-31-2013, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwtf View Post
combat is FPS if you use arrows, do melee and switch to 3rd person if you feel more comfortable seeing your suroundings.
yep, it should be a hot-key toggle
Commander
# 25
05-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwtf View Post
... But then again I have played FPS games for near 20 years and vidoe games for 30+ made plenty of content for quite a few games and can cleary see many errors in STO but.. i dont know what i am talking about i suppose. How about you Smoov?
Well, I don't do FPS games much to begin with, preferring strategy-based games.

The last FPS games I played a lot were Wolfenstein3D, Doom-II(pre-release), and another one near that era who's name I don't remember. I've dabbled with some others here and there briefly but quickly lost interest. Variations on a same theme for the most part, got bored.

I also tend to lean towards driving games, and drive my friends nuts every time configuring whatever game to give me either driver's seat view or front-bumper view, taking the mocking the whole time with a smile, and later calling them tow trucks from the finish line to go pick them up where they crashed.

I can't say I've ever played any game of this type with an over-the-shoulder view. Above-and-behind the head, and first-person, were always the views I've come across, even in some of the walk-thru's I've seen on youtube.

Any time I see an avatar walking next to me (as in the shoulder-cam view) I think that is one of my team, not me, and it constantly throws me off. I just can't play that way. It isn't intuitive. You can't even choose which shoulder to view from, or adjust how tight or loose to the shoulder you want to view from. You have just the one view, one position, locked in, and if you have to creep around some cover from the left to sneak up on your target, oh well, too bad.

-- Smoov

Last edited by smoovious; 05-31-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Ensign
# 26
05-31-2013, 01:40 PM
I could not agree more!! I love the option to go First person! makes me feel more like a part of the game! I wish they would change that! and you are right, they broke it!!
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammaelus View Post

Please do complain about any of the plethora of bugs that actually hurt gameplay, not this.
Since you didn't even know it was there your opinion is obviously worthless. It was not useless in an MMO that lets you shoot where you point the camera.

And this DID break the gameplay for a lot of people myself included. Please do post in topics that you know something about, not this.
Captain
# 28
06-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammaelus View Post

Useless? Not really. Just because you are used to playing MMO's where you cannot hotkey everything and aiming is actualy not used does not mean it is useless. infact it is very good to have both. swap to third when micromanaging your BOFF's then to first to aim and shoot while using hotkeys for your very few extra skills.

See in this game you have a kit that gives you 4 skills to use in combat, and you have 4 slots for devices. 8 things you can do besides shoot plus the quick and useless melee attack and swap weapons. Standard FPS has the number keys across the top all set to a different function and many of the letter keys also set. In STO even setting a Boff commands you would have what most FPS games do.

Advantage to actualy making the choice on who you are shooting rather than just clicking the shoot button and letting the computer aim and turn you is when 2 enemies are standing side by side you can target and kill 1 while ignoring the other. The computer will switch back and forth between them each shot because 1 will have more health. This makes it where you are killing 2 enemies at the same time getting shot by both the whole time. Choosing who to shoot yourself you make the same amount of shots to kill both but only have them both shooting back half the time. This means the last half you are getting hit less and losing less health. That makes it easier to move to the next target, could be the differance between getting that last shot off or dieing.

Useless it is not, but your comment was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
yep, it should be a hot-key toggle
Hot key or like it was with a simple scroll in and out using the wheel when you shut Over the shoulder cam off and went to normal third person. scroll all the way in and go to first person, out and you are back in third. Thats standard for allot of games since the wheel is already configured to camera zoom. So 1 more extra zoom in and you go into FPS mode, zoom out and leave FPS and adjust camera distance. Simple and effective at being able to switch between modes rapidly and highly usefull in RPG games.
Ensign
# 29
06-02-2013, 08:51 PM
i always get pissed off when developers remove functionality. if they want to change things it is alot easier to simple add a toggle button in the menu to enable/disable/switch modes. but it seems like removing legacy code would be alot more difficult and expensive for a company to impliment
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-03-2013, 07:14 AM
I just simply cannot enjoy playing this game in it's present form. I really hope they are wise and fix this blatant mistake.
Closed Thread