Lieutenant
# 131
06-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Another proprietary client in front of STO? What's it, number 4? We have the vanilla patcher that comes with the game, Steam, raptr, and now this one. Sorry, but what should this be good for from a player's point of view? I con only see the upside for PWE in establishing another ad-wall on my desktop. Thanks, but no thanks.

Regards,
Rachel
Captain
# 132
06-01-2013, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
With City of Heroes, when NCSoft started requiring their launcher, people figured out ways to launch the client without the NCSoft launcher. Someone should figure out how to do that with STO, just in case.
Just run GameClient.exe from X/X/X/X/Star Trek Online/Live. No patching workaround, but I accidentally found the above some time ago. Not much use without patching, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoric View Post
Don't know where you get that it takes 1 gig of space. The ARC folder on my computer is ONLY 82 megs
Their own website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.perfectworld.com/arc
System Requirements:
Windows XP, Vista, or 7, 512 MB RAM, 1 Ghz or faster processor, 1 GB HD space (recommended)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Lieutenant
# 133
06-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Well buddy it is NOT that much. ARC install file is 8.2 megs and after install it is like 82 megs. Was probably a typo on the site.
Republic Veteran
# 134
06-01-2013, 04:21 AM
The 1GB size likely allows for temporary files and such. More important question is what sort of memory and bandwidth usage are we looking at?
# 135
06-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
The 1GB size likely allows for temporary files and such. More important question is what sort of memory and bandwidth usage are we looking at?
anything more than the already needed for game use, is to much.

considering the game itself will be patched over and over increasing in size all without the help of a bloatfile.

I just recently cleared out 10GB of things I actually wanted to keep on my PC, because CO/STO/NW run smother if you have at LEAST 10% of your total HD space, as free space.

every 1KB of space this would require, means 1KB of something I will have to remove, just so CO/STO/NW don't lag all over the place. (and it seems to "recommend" 1GB+..... that's a LOT of files I would have to delete to keep the games from lagging.
Lieutenant
# 136
06-01-2013, 05:19 AM
The most I have seen for memory usage is just under 150 megs
Empire Veteran
# 137
06-01-2013, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicesdark View Post
Brandon please I'm begging you do NOT let them make this mandatory. Launch platforms like this take years to develop and even then the best developed ones are much easier to breach than a standard single game launcher.
If they make this mandatory I think it will be the final nail in the coffin by PWE for me and I'll just leave the game for good and boycott all Cryptic/PWE games.

I suppose they'll like that, one less KDF player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Survivor of Romulus
# 138
06-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Another game hub? :/

Arc looks nice, but anyway, to use Arc I am forced to re-download all PWE games? I have to delete all PWE games under steam or any international located versions of PWE games to take part of Arc features? Arc have any IP block? Arc have any restriction about countries or any other limitation?

:/

In the arc website, I can't see any answer, any F.A.Q. or a proper document with these questions.

Something terrible with Publisher hubs is how you are "forced" to join to in some point to get access with some features or have to buy ingame cash directly.

Aeria games, Sony, EA, Ubisoft and a lot of other publishers have your own game hubs, but to tell the truth, is hard to see how become pratical without giving any free stuff to the players in dialy basis.

Don't take me wrong, but only steam have enough experience, services and features to make any player to use happily without any complain.

The PWE core portal or even Arc don't have any features with RaiderZ, Crypt games or Rusty Hearts now.
PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
Lieutenant
# 139
06-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Sorry, but this "Arc" platform increases security risks.
One single hack, and bam, someone loses everything on ALL their games.

Not going to download it, and if it becomes mandatory, my money will be going elsewhere.
Survivor of Romulus
# 140
06-01-2013, 07:46 AM
got it know idea what to do with it