Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
Forgive any ignorance on my part if this is actually already well known how to do but if you are playing not as part of any particular team in PVO and especially PVE why does there seem to be (as when engaging the Borg in the daily repeatable mission or the Crystalline Entity) no apparent means of communicating with others to coordinate the attacks and defensive positions?

As in old Captain Picard hailing the fleet in the battle in First Contact and saying: "This is Captain Picard of the Enterprise. I'm taking command of the fleet. Lock your weapons on these coordinates and fire on my signal."

Last edited by praetorniral; 06-05-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,594
# 2
06-06-2013, 07:02 PM
There is a chat window and team, zone, and local chat channels.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 804
# 3
06-06-2013, 10:12 PM
there is also a built in VOIP system, not as good as teamspeak, but it works.
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
# 4
06-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Still not 100% sure other than by trial and error how this works. Nothing that just spells it all out so there are no question marks lingering seemingly here. Just focused before on the game itself without it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 998
# 5
06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
I miss being able to place a marker on a player or enemy (like fire on his target or at this target), something useful in other games. Even an indicator who is the squad leader, like a star next to their name in game. I have run into some strange birds in this game, not that that is anything unusual for an MMO, but I've disabled my in game VOIP for that vary reason. I've also got a strong suspicion that some people don't use, disable or don't know how to use the chat system in this game. My friend goes in and disables the chat and is only really social when he plays with me and my fleet, otherwise he just comes in, queues SB24 and shoots some stuff.

Since this is a Star Trek game, it tends to also attract people who are fans, but don't necessarily know how to play MMOs, or understand the concept of the ships tier system. You can find Miranda and Connis in Mirror Events and every now and again one of these players stumbles in to an STF (this is my personal favorite). Last night, there was a Scorpion Fighter in the Mirror Event, lets just say the Stadi just sort of glanced at them and they went pop.

Being able to highlight something in game (or paint) is something universally understood, "Oh look, its got a big target over its head and everyone seems to be shooting at it".
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 24
# 6
06-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhrangerxml View Post
Since this is a Star Trek game, it tends to also attract people who are fans, but don't necessarily know how to play MMOs, or understand the concept of the ships tier system.
Which is EXACTLY the category I come under. So if not by Cryptic itself a rundown of the basic ropes by those more in the know about that side of it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by praetorniral; 06-26-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 998
# 7
06-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Lots of Fleets out there that are willing to show you the ropes and are not to demanding, may I suggest the Reddit fleet (donno if they are actively recruiting, but I've heard lots of good things about them) and PriorityOne (I think they have 2 fleets now).
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 327
# 8
06-27-2013, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorniral View Post
Forgive any ignorance on my part if this is actually already well known how to do but if you are playing not as part of any particular team in PVO and especially PVE why does there seem to be (as when engaging the Borg in the daily repeatable mission or the Crystalline Entity) no apparent means of communicating with others to coordinate the attacks and defensive positions?

As in old Captain Picard hailing the fleet in the battle in First Contact and saying: "This is Captain Picard of the Enterprise. I'm taking command of the fleet. Lock your weapons on these coordinates and fire on my signal."
http://www.hilbertguide.com will show you how to set up keybinds to do this. Also the default settings will act so that if you target a teammate and then fire weapons you will automatically switch to their target.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,594
# 9
06-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorniral View Post
Still not 100% sure other than by trial and error how this works. Nothing that just spells it all out so there are no question marks lingering seemingly here. Just focused before on the game itself without it.
You can communicate with your teammates through the chat window. The default position of the chat window is in the lower, left-hand corner. Right-click on the input box of the chat window and select [Team]. Then, type something.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 AM.