Lt. Commander
# 1 Vanilla PvP Mode
06-07-2013, 04:22 AM
I have a suggestion, my Fleet has been playing around with tweaking Rear Admiral ships to maximize in PvP against each other and we've discovered a whole new realm of fun in taking old or "obsolete" ships now and kitting them out to do battle against each other.

I did strike me thinking that we could ask Cryptic to put this in the game as another "mode" to PvP. This mode would have some pretty cool rules to help balance out PvP and would not affect "normal" PvP or PvE in the slightest but would appeal to fans of the original game, pre-F2P.

These are the rules...

- No Lockbox ships, equipment or consoles
- No Fleet equipment, weapons or consoles or Ships
- Rear Admiral or C-Store Vice Admiral (Gen 1) Ships Only

(C-Store Gen 1 Ships are as follows
- Intrepid-R
- Galaxy-R
- Defiant-R
- Akira Carrier
- Atrox Carrier
- Vulcan D'Kyr
- Excelsior-R
- Nebula-R
- MVAM Prometheus
- Dreadnought Cruiser
(and Klingon and Romulan equivalents of those ships)

- No Reputation Abilites (Unfortunately, nothing can be done about the passives but they are not game breaking)

This mode would allow players to enjoy a taste of "old skool" STO PvP and would make ships like the Intrepid-R and Galaxy-R which are considered "obsolete" in the game at the moment relevant again. It would also make PvP more accessible to new players that don't have lockbox ships, weapons and fleet equipment.

I believe this would benefit PvP on the whole and make the game more accessible for others without damaging the "original" PvP mode. It would also allow players to kit out another ship and have fun with some of the older vessels of STO as well.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

On a side note, My Fleet has been trying to organise "Vanilla" Tournaments in STO to try and appeal to classic players who enjoyed the old PvP. So if you are interested, send me a PM or something.

Last edited by sterlingwarbird; 06-07-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
06-07-2013, 04:35 AM
I do wish we could disable passives for such an event. Some of them would be imbalancing, such as the Romulan placate, particularly against people who may not have completed their reps.
# 3
06-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
I do wish we could disable passives for such an event. Some of them would be imbalancing, such as the Romulan placate, particularly against people who may not have completed their reps.
I agree but there is nothing we can do, only Cryptic would be able to disable them. At least these rules put people on equal ground. Or thats what we are trying to achieve.
Captain
# 4
06-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Half of those ships are much newer then "Gen 1" .
If you're looking to "get back to basics" then remember that way back when only 1 carrier existed (KDF) and no retrofits . That would be "Gen 1" .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
Half of those ships are much newer then "Gen 1" .
If you're looking to "get back to basics" then remember that way back when only 1 carrier existed (KDF) and no retrofits . That would be "Gen 1" .
I know but I am also thinking about people that bought the Galaxy, Defiant and Intrepid retrofits, like myself but cannot use them anymore because they are simply not competitive PvP ships. I did not want to get too restrictive on vessels because these ships were balanced nicely against Rear Admiral Vessels and Pre-F2P PvP used to be good fun with these ships included as well.
Career Officer
# 6
06-07-2013, 06:01 AM
I'd like to see the ability to customize the conditions of your match in a private PvP lobby. Enable or disable specific powers, weapons, consoles, ships, etc. Set minimum/maximum player level for participants. If a player comes into the lobby with a "banned" power or console, that power will just not work. If they come in with a "banned" ship, they will have a visible flag (so the organizer can kick them if they need to), and the event won't start until they switch ships. If their level is out of range, they just won't be able to join the lobby, or it'll boot them when the filter is set.

A few custom public queues would be nice too. The one the OP posted isn't a bad idea. I'd also like to see:

Shuttles only
Tier 1 ships only (and maybe T2, 3 and 4 queues as well)
No reputation powers
No reputation/set equipment

These special queues would all be, ideally, cross-faction free for alls to avoid needing to have "FvF - Shuttles only", "FvK - Tier 1", etc for every variation.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
I'd like to see the ability to customize the conditions of your match in a private PvP lobby. Enable or disable specific powers, weapons, consoles, ships, etc. Set minimum/maximum player level for participants. If a player comes into the lobby with a "banned" power or console, that power will just not work. If they come in with a "banned" ship, they will have a visible flag (so the organizer can kick them if they need to), and the event won't start until they switch ships. If their level is out of range, they just won't be able to join the lobby, or it'll boot them when the filter is set.

A few custom public queues would be nice too. The one the OP posted isn't a bad idea. I'd also like to see:

Shuttles only
Tier 1 ships only (and maybe T2, 3 and 4 queues as well)
No reputation powers
No reputation/set equipment

These special queues would all be, ideally, cross-faction free for alls to avoid needing to have "FvF - Shuttles only", "FvK - Tier 1", etc for every variation.
Yeah, I think that's a great idea. Things like this are not hard to integrate into the game and the only reason for Cryptic not to do it is to say "But we cannot make profit out of it... so how do we monterise it?"
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingwarbird View Post
Yeah, I think that's a great idea. Things like this are not hard to integrate into the game and the only reason for Cryptic not to do it is to say "But we cannot make profit out of it... so how do we monterise it?"
Which is a fair question.

Simple answer is to wrap these addons in a c-store pvp enhancement pack for non-subscribers.

The real question is how many people will care enough to make it a worthwhile project?
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonjaa View Post
Which is a fair question.

Simple answer is to wrap these addons in a c-store pvp enhancement pack for non-subscribers.

The real question is how many people will care enough to make it a worthwhile project?
Oh yeah, totally... because we need to charge for EVERY aspect of the game... Its not a fair question... it would just highlight cryptic's greed.
Career Officer
# 10
06-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingwarbird View Post
Oh yeah, totally... because we need to charge for EVERY aspect of the game... Its not a fair question... it would just highlight cryptic's greed.
Unfortunately that is how Cryptic works. If it can't demonstrate a direct revenue increase over using the man hours on something else its not getting priority to be done, or is even likely to be done at all. Why is it they keep releasing ships and have a ship-centric economic model but can hardly be bothered to make costumes to sell outside the C-store?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.